• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XMil

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Columbus
    "All new cars would have to be equipped with "black boxes" that record performance data and federal safety regulators would be granted the authority to order immediate recalls under newly proposed auto-safety legislation being considered by Congress."

Source : washingtonpost.com

These clowns are vomiting forth a tsunami of legislation. Some random thoughts:

1- More crap that I don't want that I would have to pay for.
    2- How much money did a GM lobbyist feed some Washington hack to introduce this?
    3- I'm sure they'd never, ever use this to monitor peoples movements.
    4- I watched the first two parts of the HBO mini-series "John Adams" last night. Those guys complaints were minor compared to the plaque of nanny state legislation raining down on us.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Most vehicles now have EDR (event data recorders) and very few people realize it.
    They record data that can, and will, be used against you in a court of law!
    New legislation will only make it more intrusive, BIG BROTHER!

Vehicle Information Services, Inc. | Resources | Articles

The Black Box Revisited
    By E. L. Eversman, Esq.

October 22, 2003
    In March of this year, I wrote an article about event data recorders and the use of the data collected. ("Event Data Recorders - The Black Box of the Road", March 26, 2003). Since that time, information about data recorders and their uses has become a topic of considerable debate. As a result, I felt this was a good time to revisit the issue.

Debate about use expands

Most consumers are still unaware that many vehicles come automatically equipped with an event data recorder ("EDR"). These devices are not options the customers select. Instead the recorders are included in the vehicles unbeknownst to the consumers. There are good aspects and bad ones about EDR inclusion. The good points include the ability to collect statistically relevant crash information to improve the safety of cars and trucks, demonstrate the efficacy of traffic laws (like those addressing speed and seat belt use), and to allow immediate notification of an accident to emergency personnel. The bad points include the loss of individual privacy, Fourth Amendment search and seizure violations, and insurance and legal uses of the information.
    Here is an article from 2003;

More at the source;
    Vehicle Information Services, Inc. | Resources | Articles

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    While they're at it, I hope they program a few more capabilities into their black box.

1. Wirelessly download speed information so they can automatically mail me a ticket without officer intervention.
    2. Wirelessly download GPS location information to track my movement.
    3. Track the type of gas I put in and issue a ticket if I fail to use premium as required by the manufacturer.
    4. Monitor my tire pressure and send storm troopers out if I fail to heed Comrade Obama's instructions on maintaining tire pressure.
    5. Allow the police to remote kill my vehicle (for my own safety of course).
    6. Track the number of miles I drive so that I can pay my road tax.

I am sure my insurance company and bank holding the paper on my loan would also like access to all that information.

I like the quote about the $3 fee to be paid by the manufacturer. Libs don't understand the concept of pass thru costs.

My head hurts. Switzerland is looking better every day.

"All new cars would have to be equipped with "black boxes" that record performance data and federal safety regulators would be granted the authority to order immediate recalls under newly proposed auto-safety legislation being considered by Congress."

Source : washingtonpost.com

These clowns are vomiting forth a tsunami of legislation. Some random thoughts:

1- More crap that I don't want that I would have to pay for.
    2- How much money did a GM lobbyist feed some Washington hack to introduce this?
    3- I'm sure they'd never, ever use this to monitor peoples movements.
    4- I watched the first two parts of the HBO mini-series "John Adams" last night. Those guys complaints were minor compared to the plaque of nanny state legislation raining down on us.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    why am I not surprised that a legislator from Commifornia is one of the architects of this bill.

you can commence spouting typical government conspiracy theories all you want, but just know that soon there's going to be a ticket in your mailbox because of it.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i think we all know whats coming already in this country. and anyone who thinks its not going to, or wont admit it is either stupid or in total denial of reality. I just hope i can get my daughter to adult hood first, but i doubt it will wait that long. everything else like this that gets lumped on top of it all that they "legaly" but "illegaly" do just makes my head hurt. ..... sips another drink of STARBUCKS coffee.

Indiana Feller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    If you have a GM vehicle with On Star it sends a signal every 15 min to tell them where the car is, or so I have heard. Even if its not activated. The transmitter in my car somehow came unplugged? Ahhh well.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    A great money maker for all the people who paid for the legislation including the lawyers that will get rich off the cases where people argue with the data. Always follow the money.:rolleyes:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Every car made has had a blackbox since the early 2000's.

It's constantly recording, but in the event of an AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT it saves the data that it saw 15-30 seconds before the crash. Most of it isn't sent over GPS, MOST blackboxes can only record 3 events. It's for legal purposes to protect the manufacturer not to get you in trouble as it would need to be supeanoed just like a cell phone record. I don't even know of 1 police department that has the ability to pull info off the blackbox to begin with.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._bill_about_gps_tracking_systems_in_cars.html

Every manufacturer of any size has been working on telematics for at least the last 10 years.

Last I heard, the "regulation" was projected for either 2012 or 2014. If the vehicle turned the MIL on - it has to communicate the failure to the manufacturer and to NHTSA/EPA. Then the manufacturer was to notify the nearest retailer that the car wasn't meeting emissions.

Service Engine Soon may soon = Service Engine Now or be fined.

More than a couple of manufacturers have figured out they might as well try to make some money on the deal while getting out ahead of the regulation (OnStar).

Rizzo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    This is why you need to vote for John Hostettler and people like him. And we need to speak out against this to our friends, co-workers and family to educate people on how we are being fenced into for the slaughter. Freedom is dying.

Top Bottom