Black expo + Zimmermann being set free = riots in Indy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    The Black Expo began in 1970 as an avenue to demonstrate the Black culture and and encourage an exchange of ideas that would take a smaller segment of the city's demographic (minority) into consideration as public policy and other important decision were being made in and for the city. During this time, there were Greek, Italian and Polish expos/festivals taking place around the mid-west, particularly cities like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincinnati and Indianapolis. These were organized well before the inception of IBE, because people from these cultural backgrounds were being discriminated against as their numbers grew, due to migration from the east coast to the mid-west. They not only wanted to demonstrate and pass along their cultural heritage, but also show others they were not to be feared due to stereotypes that were embraced by the ignorant.

Like these festivals, IBE was never created to push anyone away, but to bring people together. The name of the event is no more racist than anything else. However, I am one who believes there is some truth to perception being reality for some. If the name bothers you, then creat an American Expo! Encourage the end of all the festivals and expos that I've described. This is something I believe could be successful if carried out with the right heart and purpose.

As I see it the only problem is that the youth that participates by in large do not have the same positive intent as the organizers. The organizers need to meet head on the youth and convince them they are destroying something meant to build a positive image. Let's face it, it is not young anti black groups going downtown and committing the violence.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    All true. Unfortunately, IBE is the only one I can recall wherein the members of the 'honored' group have told non-members they are not welcome. Nor does Oktoberfest or Irishfest come with after-hours violence by members of the group of honor.

I do not recall any reports of IBE leaders telling anyone they aren't welcome. Can you direct me to a source for that information? I'm not saying it's not true, but I have not heard that. I work very close with the current administration and I've even been asked to set up an INGO booth, but that was a conflict with my employer at the time. I've even invited INGO members to be my guest at some of the events and the only taker was IndyMonkey.

Who exactly are the "member of the group of honor"? Just because a person happens to be Black does not make them a member of IBE or an honored guest. IBE is for everyone in the city, just like the other cultured events. As for the violence, are you saying there has never been incidents of violence at other cultural activities? There is absolutely no excuse for the violence that has taken place outside the IBE, but I contend that none of it was conducted by people attending the events. Have you ever seen or heard of anything happening inside the Convention Center or even the basketball stadium? Is there even a LEO who can say they've seen or heard about things happening inside the events? If so, I would love to hear about it, because I have not. Also, it is much easier to monitor and control the activities of a few thousand than it is 50,000. Lastly, it's never been documented that any of the young people attending the events have proceeded outside to cause trouble or commit crimes. These were people who went downtown with the specific intent to cause trouble.

It is a shame that so few have tarnished the image of the IBE events. But, we live in a society where the activities of a few can jeopardize the positive motion of anything, including gun owners, LEOs, lawyers, different cultures, etc. Our society is very group-minded when it's "them" and more individual-focused when it's "us" or "me". No, WE are not all crazy gun people, just because a few people decide to use a gun to shoot up a school, but THOSE people who attend IBE.. I believe the time will come when individuals will be judged according to their own actions, but until then I guess we must carry on.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    As I see it the only problem is that the youth that participates by in large do not have the same positive intent as the organizers. The organizers need to meet head on the youth and convince them they are destroying something meant to build a positive image. Let's face it, it is not young anti black groups going downtown and committing the violence.

Do you really think those who have committed the violence in the past are interested in hearing what IBE organizers have to say? Do you think images of MLK and hearing stories of the struggle will generate some semblance of consciousness? These people were CRIMINALS and just because they happened to be Black, in most cases, does not make them the responsibility of Black society. Are you responsible for those White people who committed the crimes you will read in the news feeds this morning? No, it wasn't anti-Black groups who committed those crimes, but if they were, whose responsibility would they have been?

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The only people I saw causing trouble were drunk white people.

Leave my family out of this!

I know there will not be any riots, that's just gun shop talk. However, didn't the organizers of IBE have plans to do some sort of in-house security this year?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I do not recall any reports of IBE leaders telling anyone they aren't welcome. Can you direct me to a source for that information? I'm not saying it's not true, but I have not heard that. I work very close with the current administration and I've even been asked to set up an INGO booth, but that was a conflict with my employer at the time. I've even invited INGO members to be my guest at some of the events and the only taker was IndyMonkey.

Who exactly are the "member of the group of honor"? Just because a person happens to be Black does not make them a member of IBE or an honored guest. IBE is for everyone in the city, just like the other cultured events. As for the violence, are you saying there has never been incidents of violence at other cultural activities? There is absolutely no excuse for the violence that has taken place outside the IBE, but I contend that none of it was conducted by people attending the events. Have you ever seen or heard of anything happening inside the Convention Center or even the basketball stadium? Is there even a LEO who can say they've seen or heard about things happening inside the events? If so, I would love to hear about it, because I have not. Also, it is much easier to monitor and control the activities of a few thousand than it is 50,000. Lastly, it's never been documented that any of the young people attending the events have proceeded outside to cause trouble or commit crimes. These were people who went downtown with the specific intent to cause trouble.

It is a shame that so few have tarnished the image of the IBE events. But, we live in a society where the activities of a few can jeopardize the positive motion of anything, including gun owners, LEOs, lawyers, different cultures, etc. Our society is very group-minded when it's "them" and more individual-focused when it's "us" or "me". No, WE are not all crazy gun people, just because a few people decide to use a gun to shoot up a school, but THOSE people who attend IBE.. I believe the time will come when individuals will be judged according to their own actions, but until then I guess we must carry on.

I'm sure that has to be frustrating for the event's organizers. As just another Hoosier living a fair distance away from Indy, when I hear these stories on the news, understanding that one may not get all the information, it's quite easy to draw the conclusion that it is all connected somehow. Has the IBE been able to determine the reason(s) why people not associated with the event are seemingly so intent on ruining it?

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    Kirk, the Ten Point Coalition plans to be there in force -- basically, a church-organized bunch of actual adults who ride herd on the "troubled youths" in a parental kind of way.

indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    Kirk However said:
    Here ya go, lets bring in a few of the National Guard, NSA, DHS, to come to the area and gather intelligence, arrest perps, arrest gang members and make em crack, IPD alone can't do it, I say stop tolerating these perps, gangs and other degenerates and treat these thugs like domestic terrorist.

Then send em off to that little island south of Florida.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Do you really think those who have committed the violence in the past are interested in hearing what IBE organizers have to say? Do you think images of MLK and hearing stories of the struggle will generate some semblance of consciousness? These people were CRIMINALS and just because they happened to be Black, in most cases, does not make them the responsibility of Black society. Are you responsible for those White people who committed the crimes you will read in the news feeds this morning? No, it wasn't anti-Black groups who committed those crimes, but if they were, whose responsibility would they have been?

You bring up valid points. Short of making downtown a complete police state under martial law for the duration of the event what can be done to control the violence? I may take some heat for this but I think Black Expo is worth saving. I know people that work to make it a great event and they have no answer to the violence either. Is it just something we have to put up with?

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    You just ran right into one of my pet peeve issues. Prejudice, ... (i.e., PROVE as a matter of fact that Coke is better than Pepsi). ....

Come on now. There is no need or reason to have to prove anything that is patently obvious! Prove Coke better than Pepsi? How ridiculous is that? :)

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I guess in one way, I am equally worried because I ain't really worried about either one.

However, you can educate me by letting me know about the history of Hispanic rioting in the US. I admit ignorance.

"Zoot Suit" riots in SOCAL, LA area during WW2 might be one place to start. Google can be your friend!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm sure that has to be frustrating for the event's organizers. As just another Hoosier living a fair distance away from Indy, when I hear these stories on the news, understanding that one may not get all the information, it's quite easy to draw the conclusion that it is all connected somehow. Has the IBE been able to determine the reason(s) why people not associated with the event are seemingly so intent on ruining it?

There is no explanation for stupid. I guess they have no idea or care how their actions effect the programs that IBE hosts, but see it only as their opportunity to have "fun".

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I'd have to do some digging to find it but I think last year we (INGO) talked about it and found out that crime rates spiked something like 30% during the expo .

If that's truly the case , how is that "spike" NOT connected to the expo ?

What does this expo do for the black community during it's short time here , that isn't done for it the rest of the year ?

Why is it called the "Black" expo instead of the African expo ?

The name itself sends an exclusive message (to me anyway) that "crackas" aren't welcome .

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    I never go inside the 465 loop, unless I'm in my truck and getting paid. If I can't get what I need close to home ther is always Amazon or EBay. I lived many years without Indianapolis or any other large city, and I am sure I can live many more without them.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The name in itself is somewhat uninviting to those of us who are of a different racial background. If the IBE wants to separate itself from the crime increase during its stay in Indy, they could come up with a different name for the expo that isnt so race exclusive. Too often in this country do I see different organizations and festivals that are focused on one race or another. If the end of racism as we know it is the goal, equality throughout the country, then we need to quit identifying ourselves by race. It will take any more generations to take full effect, but until we stop identifying each other by color or race, racism will always be here.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I never go inside the 465 loop, unless I'm in my truck and getting paid. If I can't get what I need close to home ther is always Amazon or EBay. I lived many years without Indianapolis or any other large city, and I am sure I can live many more without them.
    Agreed. For the most part the only reason I pass 465 is for the 1500, or the Zoo with my kids. Everything else is cheaper, easier to get to, and less crowded outside the city.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    To be clear, I don't believe that IBE leadership/staff is responsible for this. I am going by an INGO members comments made in the recent past about witnessing said unwelcoming behavior from an IBE attendee.

Who exactly are the "member of the group of honor"? Just because a person happens to be Black does not make them a member of IBE or an honored guest. IBE is for everyone in the city, just like the other cultured events.
    I think you might have read too much into the phrase. I simply meant members of whatever cultural fest was taking place, not limited to IBE. For Oktoberfest it would be the German-heritiage population; for Irish-fest it would be those with Irish heritage.

As for the violence, are you saying there has never been incidents of violence at other cultural activities?
    No. But I am saying that the level of violence is far and away worse than what takes place at other cultural festivals. Moreover, IBE seems to have said level of violence year after year. I am not aware of any such trend for any of the other cultural festivals.

There is absolutely no excuse for the violence that has taken place outside the IBE, but I contend that none of it was conducted by people attending the events. Have you ever seen or heard of anything happening inside the Convention Center or even the basketball stadium? Is there even a LEO who can say they've seen or heard about things happening inside the events? If so, I would love to hear about it, because I have not. Also, it is much easier to monitor and control the activities of a few thousand than it is 50,000. Lastly, it's never been documented that any of the young people attending the events have proceeded outside to cause trouble or commit crimes. These were people who went downtown with the specific intent to cause trouble.
    I think this position, while probably technically correct, is incredibly obtuse. It's like saying that the drunk and disorderly arrests in the Coke Lot have nothing to do with the Indy 500 or Brickyard.

I agree. I for one enjoy cultural events, and love the International Festival when I attended as a child. If we still attended, and it became a point where two opposing groups (let's say the Canadians and the Icelanders) used the venue and/or nearby public locales to endanger public safety/well-being while they waged their little wars, you can bet I would stop going. I'm capable of seeing it is not an International Festival sanctioned event, but I would have to be hiding my head in the sand not to see that the International Festival was the draw and the opportunity for these two "gangs" to go to battle. Likewise, it would be a fool who didn't acknowledge the violence that is associated with Indy downtown during IBE. It doesn't really matter if it's directly related to IBE events or attendees. IBE is the draw for the people responsible for the violence. And IBE will be associated with that violence until the violence stops....or IBE does.

yeti rider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95%
    19   1   0
    Dec 17, 2011
    Lafayette
    Kirk, the Ten Point Coalition plans to be there in force -- basically, a church-organized bunch of actual adults who ride herd on the "troubled youths" in a parental kind of way.

That right there is where the trouble starts. At home. Unfortunately, no matter the race, people think it is society's responsibility to raise their children. That is the issue.

Top Bottom