• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • output

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 13, 2014
    NW Indiana
    One of the safes I own is the Liberty Centurion. I can tell you without a doubt, it is one of if not the best at its price point. Let's face it, we are talking about lower-end safes. If I had to buy it all over again, I would. I have seen the Winchester and it isn't offering much more for the extra $200.00 when you are talking about a $500.00 safe versus a $700.00 safe. Also, the Centurion is slightly heavier than the Winchester not the other way around like you mentioned. The centurion also has triple hard plates to protect lock from drilling. I was more interested in that than the locking bolts. I also did not want an electronic lock I wanted a mechanical lock in case of loss of power. Just my thoughts. Best of luck.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    One of the safes I own is the Liberty Centurion. I can tell you without a doubt, it is one of if not the best at its price point. Let's face it, we are talking about lower-end safes. If I had to buy it all over again, I would. I have seen the Winchester and it isn't offering much more for the extra $200.00 when you are talking about a $500.00 safe versus a $700.00 safe. Also, the Centurion is slightly heavier than the Winchester not the other way around like you mentioned. The centurion also has triple hard plates to protect lock from drilling. I was more interested in that than the locking bolts. I also did not want an electronic lock I wanted a mechanical lock in case of loss of power. Just my thoughts. Best of luck.

Thank you for the information. I pulled the weight information from the websites. I am glad you like your Centurion and I'll be taking an in person look at it before making my final decision.

westside bengal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    I am looking for a Black Friday safe also. These are what I have now. It is going to be a present from wife and she has a $700 limit.
    I have well under $3000 in the non collectable 4 long guns and 2 handguns I own. I am 64 and soon to retire and seriously doubt I
    would spend another $2000 on guns. My main concern is keep them safe from the grandkids and the smash and grab thieves.

I am looking at these now until more ads come out.

Black Friday $699 Cannon Gun Safe, 48 Gun Capacity, TS5940DLX - Tractor Supply Co.
    Black Friday $549 Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.

Black Friday $699 Centurion Voyage 25 Gun Textured Black Safe at Gander Mountain Black Friday Is this the same as the $499 Cabela safe?

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    Cannon - Centurion what the hell is reading any ways?

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    As I mentioned in another post, I went thru this decision a couple of years ago. While I would love to drop the bucks for a high end safe, I had to ask myself if it was really worth while. My conclusion was unless you've got a gun collection worth 5-6 figures, you are probably fine with something for less than $1000. As I did research, the Cannon 48 gun safe from Tractor Supply came out on top for me. With an internal plug in, a different lock system and nice construction, it definitely came out on top.

Here is what you get with a Stack-On, Sentury or many other similar made safes. THis is not security: Safe Cracking; How to open a Sentry Gun Safe in under 1 minute - YouTube

So check for the reset button on the inside of the door. Being able to open these safes in under a minute was more than enough to steer me clear of these brands. If you think the thieves of the world don't see this video think again. The Cannon does not use this style of reset and is much harder to open. I love the construction and quality and feel it is a best buy in this price range. You can get these on sale at Tractor Supply on Black Friday for 30-40% off.

Think about what you really need: The average thief is the "Smash & Grab" druggie that is in your house for an average of 8-minutes. They take what they can carry. Provided you bolt the safe to the floor and mount the safe in a corner with the door opening next to the wall you will go a long way in protecting your goods. Find a way to hide the safe, keep the location secret and you really increase the safety factor. The bad guys can't steal what they can't find or don't see. This should protect your goods 99% of the time. The other 1% is the pro who knows what he is stealing and can open any safe. He will get what he's after. Finally, talk to your insurance guy. Understand your fire and storm odds. Chances of your home burning down or getting sucked up in a tornado and dropped in Kansas are far lower than you think.

I've decided that I'm going to pick up another Cannon from Tractor Supply on Black Friday. I'm running low on space and my son has started to acquire a few toys that need storage.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am looking for a Black Friday safe also. These are what I have now. It is going to be a present from wife and she has a $700 limit.
    I have well under $3000 in the non collectable 4 long guns and 2 handguns I own. I am 64 and soon to retire and seriously doubt I
    would spend another $2000 on guns. My main concern is keep them safe from the grandkids and the smash and grab thieves.

I am looking at these now until more ads come out.

Black Friday $699 Cannon Gun Safe, 48 Gun Capacity, TS5940DLX - Tractor Supply Co.
    Black Friday $549 Winchester® Gun Safe, 24 Gun Capacity - Tractor Supply Co.

Black Friday $699 Centurion Voyage 25 Gun Textured Black Safe at Gander Mountain Black Friday Is this the same as the $499 Cabela safe?

My dad purchased the Cannon a few years ago. It is nice but did not come with the door storage unit. It has internal hinges which can make it a little difficult to get into. It also only has bolts on one side. Not sure if you are concerned about this. I think it's an excellent choice if you just want a big safe for a good price.

marsell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Any safe is better than no safe. Safes don't only defend against burglary but also fire. As a few have already said get the best one you can afford and from the choices it is probably the Winchester. Make sure to bolt that bad boy to the wall and floor. Most burglars aren't going to be prepared to bust a safe if they break into your home unless that is what they are targeting. If that's the case your best safe would have been your mouth.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I watched the entire video. Very informative. Trying to figure out how much you should spend not what I want to spend is difficult. I wonder if there is a generalization that can be used to get in the ballpark. If the value of what you are trying to keep safe is $1000.00 you would spend less than if the value was $100,000.00. So, just for this discussion would 5% of the value of your valuables work? I know there are other factors in play but just looking for a general number.

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    I watched the entire video. Very informative. Trying to figure out how much you should spend not what I want to spend is difficult. I wonder if there is a generalization that can be used to get in the ballpark. If the value of what you are trying to keep safe is $1000.00 you would spend less than if the value was $100,000.00. So, just for this discussion would 5% of the value of your valuables work? I know there are other factors in play but just looking for a general number.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I have that same safe and like it. I got mine last year. I actually thought about selling mine though, because I want that Cannon from TSC. I like my Winchester safe....just it don't hold close to 24 guns. You may be able to get 8 long guns and 16 handguns....but even that will be a squeeze. Don't know that the Cannon will be any better.....but it does allow doubling up because it is deeper.

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    It looks like Menards will have a 30 gun Sentinel safe for $400.

Anyone who has bought a safe on Black Friday, how early did you have to get there?

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I have that same safe and like it. I got mine last year. I actually thought about selling mine though, because I want that Cannon from TSC. I like my Winchester safe....just it don't hold close to 24 guns. You may be able to get 8 long guns and 16 handguns....but even that will be a squeeze. Don't know that the Cannon will be any better.....but it does allow doubling up because it is deeper.

My dad has the Cannon 48 gun Fat Boy safe from Tractor Supply. It has a lot of room. The one he got did not come with the door organizer. It also only has bolts on once side which is a little concerning. The safe also has internal hinges so the door does not open very wide which makes seeing inside a little difficult. I would recommend installing lights inside.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

One should also consider the future as well, and not just firearms. Do you believe you will be acquiring wealth to the point where you might decide to get say $5,000 in gold or silver as a hedge against inflation/currency issues? Do you want to have $1,000-$2,000 in emergency cash in a safe just in case? What about things you treasure from family that might not even be worth much in value, but could be 80-100+ years old and they have a history to them? Will you be receiving such items in the future? I definitely could use a lower end safe, but mostly because I pay $32/month now for an alarm system. That combined with a safe will likely keep me safe. However, others can't/won't spend that monthly amount for monitoring, and if you are one of those, I would seriously try your best to consider upgrading to a mid-line model if at all possible. Also with regards to security, as others stated before, bolt the thing down. If you don't want to bolt into your hardwood floor, get some good plywood or something, cut to fit the area (usually closet is best) and screw both pieces together. Then the safe goes on the wood pieces and is bolted into them. While plywood pieces in the closet aren't screwed to the house flooring, it is very difficult to tip the safe for a pry attack. Also, most of the pry attack videos show the corners as weak points. There are some brands that offer corner bolts, which I believe would be useful. Fort Knox brand offers these.

star-corner-bolt.jpg

Morgan88

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2013
    Jasper
    Well put Indy317. Maybe the old adage(sp) applies here. Always buy at least 1 size bigger than you think you need and maybe buy 1 step better quality also. Thanks for the input.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Thank you everyone for their input. One day I will have a Ft. Knox, Johnson, or like quality safe and have it delivered.

How the question is how will I get the 500+ lb safe from the driveway, down the steps to the basement of a non-walkout house? I am going to rent a appliance dolly. Trying to decide if I should use the dolly to go down the steps or place the safe on its side and SLOWLY slide it down.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thank you everyone for their input. One day I will have a Ft. Knox, Johnson, or like quality safe and have it delivered.

How the question is how will I get the 500+ lb safe from the driveway, down the steps to the basement of a non-walkout house? I am going to rent a appliance dolly. Trying to decide if I should use the dolly to go down the steps or place the safe on its side and SLOWLY slide it down.

You might see if you can find a guy to move it. They probably wouldn't charge much. I watched our mover move my safe and they have it down on how to handle heavy loads.

You can also look into one of those "walking stairs" dollies. I think you can rent them. The basically walk the load down the stairs under control.

I would be careful about sliding something that heavy down the stairs unless you have a lot of strong help!:)

Top Bottom