• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    no-irish-need-apply.gif
    Ever wonder why there's such a strong Irish heritage among the east coast police and fire departments?

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Yea just a small disclaimer... I'm not a racist either. I'm not racist or prejudice, I just hate everybody!!! :D J/K

Seriously though, opps, wrong thread. Still, I find the Black Expo and Black History Month just a bit racist. On the grounds I previously mentioned. You don't see Native American History Month. Or Middle Eastern History month. Or Canadian History Month. Ok Rant Off. My bad.

Resume with the laughs!

Lordy people... OK so just a little historical perspective can answer what this is all about. We had slavery here in the United States---terrible thing, and then we had the period after the Civil War and in many ways that was even worse towards African Americans than the actual happenings during the civil war. Then there was still some forms of segregation until 1968!! 68!!!! In some of your life times. Racism on a rampant and destructive nature didn't end all that long ago. Things are way better today but there are generations still living that drank and ate in blank only establishments. Forgive the African American community that the social conservatives of the day caused so much trouble recently that they had a month to remember the historical significance. YES some African Americans are racist about it, but on a whole it's a time for remembrance and education. For that reason it's certainly a fine thing.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Lordy people... OK so just a little historical perspective can answer what this is all about. We had slavery here in the United States---terrible thing, and then we had the period after the Civil War and in many ways that was even worse towards African Americans than the actual happenings during the civil war. Then there was still some forms of segregation until 1968!! 68!!!! In some of your life times. Racism on a rampant and destructive nature didn't end all that long ago. Things are way better today but there are generations still living that drank and ate in blank only establishments. Forgive the African American community that the social conservatives of the day caused so much trouble recently that they had a month to remember the historical significance. YES some African Americans are racist about it, but on a whole it's a time for remembrance and education. For that reason it's certainly a fine thing.

Thanks,
    Matthew

I certainly don't have a problem with a month dedicated to African American history. I just get tired of the people who think they are entitled to additional rights because of their skin color. I get even more tired of the Feds stepping in and telling private individuals and local government entities that they can't do anything that might even seem racist. Take the Dayton Police Department for example.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I get even more tired of the Feds stepping in and telling private individuals and local government entities that they can't do anything that might even seem racist. Take the Dayton Police Department for example.

Help me out here... I don't get to read every single thread on INGO or any other site. What about the DPD?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I certainly don't have a problem with a month dedicated to African American history. I just get tired of the people who think they are entitled to additional rights because of their skin color. I get even more tired of the Feds stepping in and telling private individuals and local government entities that they can't do anything that might even seem racist. Take the Dayton Police Department for example.

I totally agree! Now that people of color are accepted as equals in all of society, it's time to get rid of anything that prevents total assimilation into whatever America is calling them to be. After all, the reason for NAACP, Ms. Black America, Black Expo, etc., no longer exists. I'm sure the privileges others took in the past, based on skin color no longer exist, especially since so many people are saying it. Besides, that was years ago and none of those people are alive, so it's time to put the past behind us and let the ugly part of history die, so we can truly live in harmony.

awatarius

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I totally agree! Now that people of color are accepted as equals in all of society, it's time to get rid of anything that prevents total assimilation into whatever America is calling them to be. After all, the reason for NAACP, Ms. Black America, Black Expo, etc., no longer exists. I'm sure the privileges others took in the past, based on skin color no longer exist, especially since so many people are saying it. Besides, that was years ago and none of those people are alive, so it's time to put the past behind us and let the ugly part of history die, so we can truly live in harmony.

I concur that most of the laws about it should fall away as they no longer serve a positive purpose (important at the time but not anymore). I still would like to see Black History Month continue as a reminder that hate, and bigotry existed like that in this country and hopefully prevent things like that in the future.

Thanks,
    Matthew

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010

NO REASON FOR Ms. BLACK AMERICA!

rubenandwinner.jpg

First off, the big guy disagrees with you.

Second off, dont disagree with the big guy. :)

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I saw some commercial the other day for Asian-American, Pacific Islander History Month. Wait, seriously?

There are only 12 months in the year. There are WAY more than 12 genetically similar populations in the world. Maybe we should just give each genetic/cultural/geographically similar group a day and call it good?

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    The subject of slavery is a touchy one. As a life member of the Sons of Confederate Veterans, it is one we are constantly dealing with. I would suggest a book entitled, "A South Side View Of Slavery". It was written by Dr. Nehemiah Adams in 1854. Dr. Adams was an abolitionist minister that spent several months in the South in 1854. He was there recovering from some sort of illness. The book is his observations about slavery in the antebellum South. While Dr. Adams doesn't condone slavery, his book indicates that slavery is not the way it was presented in the North and is not how we have been led to believe that slavery was practiced. He even has a chapter in his book which exposes "Uncle Tom's Cabin" as inaccurate in its portrayal of Southern slavery and as nothing more than abolitionist propaganda. If I'm not mistaken, the entire book can be found online.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I concur that most of the laws about it should fall away as they no longer serve a positive purpose (important at the time but not anymore). I still would like to see Black History Month continue as a reminder that hate, and bigotry existed like that in this country and hopefully prevent things like that in the future.

Thanks,
    Matthew

Oh, screw it. Why should anything remain? We are all one big happy family. That useless saying about remembering your past in order not to repeat it or knowing your history in order to shape the future...whatever that crap was, needs to go. Appleseed should definitely stop passing along that nonsense about Patriot's Day. We should also stop teaching about why this country was formed. After all, we aren't angry with the British anymore, right?

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace

AMEN!:yesway: Rep to you Que.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    Help me out here... I don't get to read every single thread on INGO or any other site. What about the DPD?

Not enough black people met the requirements to become a police officer. The Feds told Dayton to lower the requirement so more black men would be eligible because they didn't have enough minority police officers. Pretty much the same bull**** as that thing with that Hispanic judge and the fire department.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond

Oh, screw it. Why should anything remain? We are all one big happy family. That useless saying about remembering your past in order not to repeat it or knowing your history in order to shape the future...whatever that crap was, needs to go. Appleseed should definitely stop passing along that nonsense about Patriot's Day. We should also stop teaching about why this country was formed. After all, we aren't angry with the British anymore, right?

I'm a little confused. Was the first paragraph supposed to be in purple?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not enough black people met the requirements to become a police officer. The Feds told Dayton to lower the requirement so more black men would be eligible because they didn't have enough minority police officers. Pretty much the same bull**** as that thing with that Hispanic judge and the fire department.

Yeah that was really stupid decision. Call me crazy, but best guy for the job should get the job. :dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm a little confused. Was the first paragraph supposed to be in purple?

I don't do purple. I'm sure there are many who can decipher my intent. I'm open to receive negative rep if some choose to change.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Now that was totally asinine. An even playing ground is all that anyone should expect.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom