Black man shot in Kenosha, riots starting all over again...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Regardless of who raised you when you become an adult you are responsible for your own decisions and actions. If you were raised in a bad situation and choose to perpetuate the bad ideas you were raised with it is all on you.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Wait. You think if an officer puts his knee on the back of a person’s neck for 8+ minutes, and that person subsequently dies, he needs to be fired, and “possibly” charged? If we can agree that the officer’s actions were excessive, and Contributed to the victims death, I think we take the “possibly” out of the equation.

for the 1000th time, there's no evidence (in the public sphere) the officer's knee on the back of his neck was the cause of death, in fact there is evidence to the contrary that he died from heart failure and not asphyxiation (see coroner's report and leaked body cam video).

TangoFoxtrot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2018
    United states
    for the 1000th time, there's no evidence (in the public sphere) the officer's knee on the back of his neck was the cause of death, in fact there is evidence to the contrary that he died from heart failure and not asphyxiation (see coroner's report and leaked body cam video).
    Not taking sides here, this is just a question...
    Could the officer have done.anything differently to secure the suspect ? Was the suspect handcuffed to secure him or even ankel cuffed if they thought he may run? I have not watched any of the footage so again, please don't take this as me picking a side, I would need to see all the reports, videos etc to form a.opinion.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah. They are his kids... as reliable as witnesses and the media contend. But, even with their track record, it's pretty certain they were his kids.

How did he put them in that situation? What, he volunteered to get shot in the back?

As many people who have exes on this site, it is just possible that you have an angry woman arguing with her "ex" about taking the kids out for the day. We really don't know at this point. But, I've known too many pitbulls with lipstick to say that Blake brought this all down on himself. I think there is a strong possibility that we don't know the whole story.

Am I mistaking in my understanding that his very presence at the residence was a violation of a protective order? Further, that he chose to a) be armed and dangerous, b) resist lawful arrest, c) attempt to enter a car that wasn't his, occupied by children not in his custody (n.b. in Indiana, that act alone would likely constitute carjacking and/or kidnapping, both of which are forcible felonies justifying the use of deadly force to prevent their occurrence, regardless of the direction the perpetrator was facing) all factor into a reasonable assessment that he did, in fact, put his kids in that situation.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I was replying to you saying something to the effect they should just have let the Atlanta guy go. Your conclusion implies your thinking.

No, that's not correct. As I teach in Crucial Conversations, there is a difference between facts and stories. The former can be objectively, empirically observed. The latter are judgments (Fact A = good/bad), conclusions (Fact A + Fact B, therefore C), or attributions (Fact A, because of B).

Whatever Alpo said, you are making an attribution about what led him to say it. In doing so, you are making an assumption that is not implied merely by what Alpo said.

Note: this is a very common tactic of the left. (e.g. You are only defending Kyle Rittenhouse because you're a White Supremacist!)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is it clear that there was a protective order? I've inferred from the call that there may have been, because it says that she told police in the call that he was there and wasn't supposed to be. If that is the case, they have not just one reason to arrest him, the outstanding warrant, but violating the EPO. But then if that were the case, why wouldn't the police have disclosed that information as well? Seems like that's extremely relevant to the case. So then the narrative becomes, police were called because Blake violated an EPO, and then tried to arrest him and then we all know what happened from there.

So if there was an EPO why would the police not just say that. And it would have been even more entertaining to watch woke feminists defend a man who violated an EPO.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Wait. You think if an officer puts his knee on the back of a person’s neck for 8+ minutes, and that person subsequently dies, he needs to be fired, and “possibly” charged? If we can agree that the officer’s actions were excessive, and Contributed to the victims death, I think we take the “possibly” out of the equation.

My default position would be that the officer acted improperly and contributed to Floyd's death. If I were a juror, however, I would have at least two questions that I would need answered: 1) would Floyd have died in the same time-frame anyway, due to the fentanyl overdose? and, 2) without the fentanyl overdose, would the officer's actions still likely have caused Floyd's death?

I have no opinion on the matter of the charging decision, either via information or grand jury, because I don't know how those decisions are made, and I don't know what other information there might be, to which a prosecutor might be privy.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    One would think that if you have been non compliant and tased, not once but twice the situation is escalating pretty quickly and any level of force after non lethal may be a very real possibility.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, that's not correct. As I teach in Crucial Conversations, there is a difference between facts and stories. The former can be objectively, empirically observed. The latter are judgments (Fact A = good/bad), conclusions (Fact A + Fact B, therefore C), or attributions (Fact A, because of B).

Whatever Alpo said, you are making an attribution about what led him to say it. In doing so, you are making an assumption that is not implied merely by what Alpo said.

Note: this is a very common tactic of the left. (e.g. You are only defending Kyle Rittenhouse because you're a White Supremacist!)

Yeah, yeah. I took logic in college too. It's a conversation. Here's I wasn't trying to invoke logical sufficiency. Saying it the way I did sounds a lot like p implies q, and if you're a logical hawk that might make it sound like a logical argument is being attempted. So I get it. How about I modify that to say "your conclusion betrays your thinking." I AM making a subjective judgement, and in a conversation that's not wrong. I'm not making an argument. I'm saying I think he drew that conclusion because of the anger after seeing yet another black man shot by police.

We all have our triggers. And when we're triggered to anger, we don't think things all the way out. And that isn't saying anything bad about anyone. Later Alpo talked about his emotional response to Floyd, and I related mine too. My emotions brought me to some conclusions about Floyd which weren't completely true, because in my anger I didn't think about not having all the relevant facts after watching that initial video. It felt like the officer's knee on the guy's neck was the only relevant fact.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Yeah, yeah. I took logic in college too. It's a conversation. Here's I wasn't trying to invoke logical sufficiency. Saying it the way I did sounds a lot like p implies q, and if you're a logical hawk that might make it sound like a logical argument is being attempted. So I get it. How about I modify that to say "your conclusion betrays your thinking." I AM making a subjective judgement, and in a conversation that's not wrong. I'm not making an argument. I'm saying I think he drew that conclusion because of the anger after seeing yet another black man shot by police.

We all have our triggers. And when we're triggered to anger, we don't think things all the way out. And that isn't saying anything bad about anyone. Later Alpo talked about his emotional response to Floyd, and I related mine too. My emotions brought me to some conclusions about Floyd which weren't completely true, because in my anger I didn't think about not having all the relevant facts after watching that initial video. It felt like the officer's knee on the guy's neck was the only relevant fact.

I'm with you here, and I think we're on the same page. (And I'm going to use one of Alpo's favorite terms here.) I'm just pointing out that Alpo may have been reacting/responding to you conflating what you inferred his reasoning to be with his statement implying what his reasoning was.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    Being combative, tased, not following orders when guns are drawn, & reaching into car all follow along a the line of escalating the situation. If I did all of those things I'd fully understand that I am risking my life and should stand down. As far as the officer knows Blake could've been reaching for a gun and if he would've waited to see a gun the officer would be the one getting shot. I'm not saying the situation was handled perfectly but I fully see why the officer shot.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    It isn't 100% clear but it has been reported here and there. I haven't been going on about it because we aren't sure that there was one, but the second sentence in the quote here has been right in the front of my brain.... It's... Something.

So if there was an EPO why would the police not just say that. And it would have been even more entertaining to watch woke feminists defend a man who violated an EPO.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Quoting my self here but relevant to the above.

All of this micro dissection of it...

There was an open sexual assault and abuse warrant, they were responding to a call from the complainant on that warrant, according to a couple reports there was a restraining order in effect. All with the full weight of the Duluth Model behind it. Any sort of resistance to the arrest was going to be met harshly, regardless of race. Can layer Wisconsin as a mandatory arrest state for domestics on top of it.

It isn't 100% clear but it has been reported here and there. I haven't been going on about it because we aren't sure that there was one, but the second sentence in the quote here has been right in the front of my brain.... It's... Something.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Well he is a papered dog with highest ratings for hips in his pedigree so I hope I DON'T go through that. Bought my Labs from reputable breeders with great hip ratings and didn't have any issues.
    There is probably not a puppy cuter than a GSD. They look a bit oddly proportioned during their teen years, but so do most creatures. I won't have another one because I'm tired of seeing them suffer with hip dysplasia in older years.

Top Bottom