• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    The wife and I also went to the Conner long rifle show on Saturday and had a good time. I didn't find a flintlock in my price range that spoke to me and may have to save more pennies to get what I want. I purchased the makings of a powder horn and some beeswax for making patch/bullet lube. Just need to decide on a recipe. The southern mt. rifle materials from Pecatonica have been here awhile and just need the time to finish it. I need to retire! lol The large Kalamazoo show is next month. BTW, the gaps appearing in the lock are because the lock is just set in there for a photo.

Last edited:

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    In case you have a Lyman gun you might want to check. Apparently they are recalling some of the newer guns. Just got this email today.

Hello Midsouth Shooters Customer,

Lyman Products Corp. (“Lyman”) is voluntarily recalling black powder rifles and pistols due to the
    potential of separation in the breech plug. Lyman maintains a safety-first approach, so despite finding
    only a few firearms affected and no reported injuries, we are offering a recall program to have the issue
    corrected. Lyman regrets the inconvenience but remains committed to the safety of our customers.
    475 Smith Street
    Middletown, CT 06457
    office: 860-632-2020
    www.lymanproducts.com

Products:
    This recall includes black powder rifles and pistols regardless of caliber (including Deerstalker, Great Plains, Great Plains Hunter, Trade Rifle, Plains Pistol, Black Powder Kits, and replacement barrels; excluding Percussion Left Hand Great Plains and Left Hand Great Plains Hunter models) manufactured from March 1, 2017 to December 22, 2017. Barrels with the serial number in the range of A595960–A599026 are subject to this recall.
    recall-sn-2.jpg

recall-sn-1.jpg

Safety Warning:
    Lyman has determined that some black powder rifles and pistols could, under certain circumstances, develop separation in the breech plug, which may pose a potential safety hazard. Please do not load or use any rifles or pistols subject to this recall.
    How to Identify Rifles and Pistols Subject to the Recall:
    Find the serial number where the barrel meets the tang, opposite of the lock. The serial number has the letter “A” followed by a series of 6 numbers.

Action to be Taken:
    If the serial number is within the range of A595960–A599026, immediately discontinue any use of this product. Please contact the Lyman Customer Service Department by emailing customerservice@lymanproducts.com or by calling 800-225-9626 Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 4:15 p.m. EST. You will be asked to provide your contact information, serial number, and either the part number or model to process the return.
    Anyone outside the U.S.A. who is in possession of a black powder rifle or pistol within the recall range should contact your local distributor immediately.

Shipping:
    Upon receipt of the information provided to customer service, Lyman will send instructions and packaging to ship the product to Lyman for replacement at no cost to the customer. Lyman will provide a replacement barrel and tang with instructions or will replace the barrel and tang at Lyman and return the firearm. Please only return your rifle, pistol, or barrel and tang with the provided shipping tags and boxes

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    The wife and I also went to the Conner long rifle show on Saturday and had a good time. I didn't find a flintlock in my price range that spoke to me and may have to save more pennies to get what I want. I purchased the makings of a powder horn and some beeswax for making patch/bullet lube. Just need to decide on a recipe. The southern mt. rifle materials from Pecatonica have been here awhile and just need the time to finish it. I need to retire! lol The large Kalamazoo show is next month. BTW, the gaps appearing in the lock are because the lock is just set in there for a photo.

As for the lube issue, most of the experienced shooters are using the pure mink oil from Track of the Wolf or some form of animal derived oil ie, pure neetsfoot oil, bear oil etc. I've used olive and vegetable oil with success at times. You need something that keeps the fouling very moist if you wish to put in many shots per session. I save the bees wax recipes for my BPCRs.

Nice horn and start of a kit there.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Since you posted outside the classy's ... why do you need a CC Permit to buy Black Powder, 3F can be used in rifles also :):. CC? Conceal Carry? Guess you won't sell to anyone in Indiana?

Good posting! Although his powders, his rules, seems silly to add additional restrictions on the purchase of something that a licensed dealer wouldn’t require.

DNS

Marksman
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    Any one going to Friendship this june? Haven't been their in about 12-15 years. Was wondering if it has changed at all? Going this summer with my son in law.

guinnb

Plinker
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    Any one going to Friendship this june? Haven't been their in about 12-15 years. Was wondering if it has changed at all? Going this summer with my son in law.

Should be there on the 9th. Last couple years it has been really down as far as vendors go. Shooters are still coming! Really nice range enhancements as well.

Restroyer

Expert
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Should be there on the 9th. Last couple years it has been really down as far as vendors go. Shooters are still coming! Really nice range enhancements as well.

I'll probably skip this year. My Father In Law is a long time member there and I went last year but it was really disappointing how slow it was last year and seems to be on the decline in my opinion. Hopefully it's better attended this year.

guinnb

Plinker
    May 30, 2018
    Columbus
    Don’t know about you all but I felt much better about this years Spring shoot. A lot more competitors, vendors, spectators, campers, etc. Seemed like a much better crowd this year!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Shot my Lyman Plains Pistol today, man I forgot how much fun BP shooting is, relaxing as well. I think it's the pace, measure, load, card, patch and ball, prime. You have to slow down, dry patched a few balls before and it's no fun.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Found a bottle of Triple 7, so decided to see if my BP Pistol would set off the stuff. Heard stories about how the "subs" can't be set off by #11 caps. Zero issues. I'll have to see about consistency, was just shooting plates at 25 yds, 25 mph wind gusts .. why even try ..

KobeBeefKatana

Plinker
    Oct 27, 2015
    Westfield
    Received a Navy Pietta percussion sxs 12g. Looking for info on the markings underneath the barrels. I am aware of the Italian proof marks and the year code but am wondering about the “18,3” located on both barrels. If anyone could help out on this it would be greatly appreciated.

HonkieKowboy

Sharpshooter
    Nov 14, 2018
    Lafayette
    So a while back I got myself a 1851 Pietta and the black powder got me thinking about reloading 12 gauge shotshells for my Remington model 11... What’s a good load that kicks like a high-brass? Would 90 grains do the trick? I want to keep it on the high load setting as much as possible.

Top Bottom