• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Delmar

Master
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I am thinking of getting a front loader for deer hunting, but don't really care for modern inline. I would like to find something with a little style that don't break the bank. What do you recommend?

Kurr

Expert
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Honestly? A trip to Friendship When the NMLA meet is there.

Great deals, Huge variety, firing range, Great time for all. Whole town basically converts to something different than what it is.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    The only one I have personal experience with is the now (apparently) discontinued Thompson/Center Renegade.
    I've shot it a bit, and both my dad and brother have taken over a half dozen deer between them with theirs.
    It's definitely a traditional style sidehammer muzzleloader with plain (no brass, only blued steel or color case hardened steel) furniture, a nicely shaped steel trigger guard, and attractively color case hardened lock plate.
    If you can find an unused one or a used one in excellent shape (definitely bring a decent bore scope to determine that the original owner cleaned it properly), I would highly recommend it.

ChrisK1977

Sharpshooter
    Nov 23, 2009
    I have a Great Plains rifle, TC Hawken, CVA Bobcat and CVA Kodiak Mag. All in .50. I have taken several deer with a muzzleloader over the years. My inline has taken them out to around 200. Haven't taken any with the Lyman or my TC yet. The Lyman is for round balls and I am determined to kill one deer with a round ball.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Affordably, the Lyman offerings are about as good as you'll get if you want a current made muzzleloader. If you want something more special and more correct in make, prepare to open up your wallet, A LOT.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    Flint or percussion, it just don't get no better than hundred dollar rusty TC rebored to .58.
    Well, except maybe it's .62.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I am thinking of getting a front loader for deer hunting, but don't really care for modern inline. I would like to find something with a little style that don't break the bank. What do you recommend?

Delmar, Might I recommend the Lyman Great Plains .50cal. I have one and hunt deer with it exclusively and it has great lines (stylish) I use a round ball and .18 patch on top of 70 grains of FFFG.It has a 1/66 twist which works best with round ball and patch. At 100 yards from a bench I can put 3 shots inside of a circle about the size of a small orange. I just cannot say enough good about her. She has always worked for me and never failed me. I got in to mine new for about $400.00. if you get a chance give one a look...I am confident you will not be disappointed.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    I recommend a Springfield or Enfield rifle musket. I've seen Parker Hale Enfield rifle (2 band) on GB priced decently. Original cut down Springfields can be found cheaply enough, reline the barrel and you have a heck of a hunting rifle. A rifle musket with a 500 grain Minnie ball is accurate with good knockdown power.

tallend

Sharpshooter
    May 3, 2011
    I second------"Friendship,In--NMLRA shoot from June 13-21---------
    Hundreds of ML Rifles, Pistols,Shotguns----parts,--you name it,for a ML,its'there--------

East,and West of the NMLRA range are 2 giant flea mkts-------
    Bring your walking shoes---plan to spend a day-----------lots of green also
    I have been attending the NMLRA Spring and Fall shoots since '67--------------------to me,it never gets old

tallend

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I recommend a Springfield or Enfield rifle musket. I've seen Parker Hale Enfield rifle (2 band) on GB priced decently. Original cut down Springfields can be found cheaply enough, reline the barrel and you have a heck of a hunting rifle. A rifle musket with a 500 grain Minnie ball is accurate with good knockdown power.

Yes the repro military rifled muskets are an option, especially in their shorter rifle forms. However I would not further degrade any original old musket. No telling how many old originals I've seen break due to their softer metal parts finally giving up due to fatigue.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Yes the repro military rifled muskets are an option, especially in their shorter rifle forms. However I would not further degrade any original old musket. No telling how many old originals I've seen break due to their softer metal parts finally giving up due to fatigue.

Agreed
    I just can't fathom taking such a Rube Goldberg route, when there are still modern traditional muzzleloaders out there, especially the T/C Renegade, Hawken, and the CVA Great Plains.

ol' poke

Sharpshooter
    Jan 14, 2010
    Love my .50 T/C Renegade. They had a fire in their factory years ago, when I had a left-handed kit on order. Due to the fire they cancelled my order, but I got a call a few days later and was told they 'salvaged' one and was I still interested? Need I say more? :rockwoot:

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have Parker Hale Volunteer rifle, while very good shooter, the weight is not ideal for hunting. My T/C Hawken is just as accurate with a lot less weight.

mainjet

Master
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I have two T/C Renegades - one in .50 and one in .54. These are great guns and a lot of fun.

My .54 now has a scope on it and a nice leather slip-on sling.

Last year I made my own .50 RB's for the fun of melting down the lead and doing it myself.

It's a fun hobby to play around with and you can definitely put the deer down with it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Apr 21, 2010
    If you like open sights a used TC New Englander can be made into a peachy long range hunting rifle.

JJM7288

Sharpshooter
    May 4, 2015
    Zionsville
    Many original muskets are shot in N-SSA competition without fail. The original Springfield, especially bobbed is a light and handy rifle. Original internal lock parts are the best.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Many original muskets are shot in N-SSA competition without fail. The original Springfield, especially bobbed is a light and handy rifle. Original internal lock parts are the best.

Better than what? Use it and lose it. Why do you think there is a cottage parts industry dedicated to old BP martial arms? Because they break. Get a repro, used or new and use one. No need to bob or break an original.

Top Bottom