• ...and so much more!
  • warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I just found out that if you have 4# or more of black powder it must be keep in a powder magazine. Magazine must be constructed so that if there is a blast it must go up not out. This means I need to do a pit with 12" walls and floor of rebared concrete with a wood roof or only order one or two pounds at a time paying out the nose per pound. Also if you have black powder in the house and there is a fire the fire department will not fight it, this I understand. I reload a lot of rounds for BPCR and SASS all with black powder. How do others that shoot black powder handle storage or quantity buying???

I load for .45-70, .38-55, .44-40, .45 Colt, .357 mag, .38 Sp, and .32 H&R Mag. After finding about the Powder Magazine I wonder how the round or two I have loaded should stored as there could be a pound or two of powder setting there behind the bullets. Any ideas???

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Under 50 pounds is fine

Is black powder subject to regulation under federal explosives laws?​

Black powder is an explosive material for purposes of federal explosives laws and regulations.
    However, the law exempts from regulation commercially manufactured black powder in quantities not exceeding 50 pounds (as well as percussion caps, safety and pyrotechnic fuses, quills, quick and slow matches, and friction primers) intended to be used solely for sporting, recreational, or cultural purposes in antique firearms as defined in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(16) or in antique devices exempted from the term "destructive device" in 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(4).
    Regardless, persons engaged in the business of importing, manufacturing, or dealing in black powder in any quantity must have a federal explosives license, and comply with recordkeeping, storage and conduct of business requirements.
    [18 U.S.C. 841(c), 841(d), 845(a)(5); 27 CFR 555.11: definitions of "explosives" and "explosive materials", 555.141(b)]

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I wonder if the Indiana preemption law would cover this. IANAL but IMO it should. Storage requirements are not an exemption in sec 4.

IC 35-47-11.1-2Political subdivision regulation of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories prohibited
    Sec. 2. Except as provided in section 4 of this chapter, a political subdivision may not regulate:
    (1) firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories;
    (2) the ownership, possession, carrying, transportation, registration, transfer, and storage of firearms, ammunition, and firearm accessories; and
    (3) commerce in and taxation of firearms, firearm ammunition, and firearm accessories.

As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.

Top Bottom