• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I believe you but there is sharp and then there is TYLER SHARP! ask anyone who knows. BTW what are you charging for one?
    Have never made any to sell. Have made them for myself or gifts for friends. I hope to have some ready to sell at the Oswego Trader Days Rendezvous, May, 2011.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    yesterday I made a railroad spike knife at the maze. Since it was a practice knife I used a medium carbon spike. About equivalent to 1045 steel so it won't be one that holds a great edge. I don't think it turned out too bad.

Railroad spike like the one used and the rough forged knife before any shaping or hardening.

DSC_0397web.jpg

Finished knife after hardening. Has had a little more polishing since the picture.

DSC_0412web.jpg

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    Today I made 3 small knives out of 3 inch masonry nails. This is high enough carbon steel to hold a good edge.

Nate asked me to make him a double edged dagger so tried that. that one was a little more work than a single edge.

DSC_0402web.jpg

DSC_0403web.jpg

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    If you are in Northern Indiana tomorrow is the last chance to visit the maze this year. Our friends who own it won't be able to be there since his sister died. But we will be able to keep it going.

Please remember their family at this difficult time.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    The maze season is over for this year. Corn in the maze was combined this afternoon. Tore the blacksmith shop down this morning.

I have orders for 3 railroad spike knives that I need to get made. Hope to get the rough forging done next week. I told them that it would take about a month to get the knives finished and ready to send out.

I only have 2 of the 8 knives I made at the maze left. Hard to even get a knife for myself.

One item I made for myself is a tomahawk. I'm pretty happy how it turned out.

Blacksmith013.jpg

Railroad spike hawk.

Next year we are planning a blacksmith hammer day when we invite other smiths in to demonstrate and sell sell some of their work. Looks like we already have 6 who are planning to be there. So if you like blacksmithing it might be a time to see some interesting work... or if you do it yourself send me a message if you want to be part of this.

Digital_photog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    I'm not quite a noob, so I hope I don't get thrown in the forge for bumping this one. :D

I have the blacksmith shop set up at the maze again this year. Yesterday was the first day I forged any knives. Did 2 railroad spike knives from the high carbon spikes. forging is done and a little filing on the blade edges to start the shape. Now they are ready for the belt sander and grinder. Then polishing and hardening. Should have these 2 finished next weekend. I didn't think these looked too bad. I kinda liked the shape they turned out.
    DSCN0435.jpg

The handles will get a lot of work on the wire wheel. On the blade edges I will be working down to 1200 grit sandpaper then polishing compound. These 2 will have the back side of the blade left with natural forge marks and only be polished on the half inch tapered edge. That is the guy who I am making them for wants them. I promised these last November so it is about time to get them done. I think I am going to quite making knives for friends till I get a railroad spike knife for myself.

Top Bottom