• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ok were new to the area moved here from South Dakota for work. Long story short version I was offered a position with complete moving package and it was the right thing to do for my family. There was a store there that really worked to earn your business and valued their customers. Well after stopping at the Griffith store last week mid a.m. they were not busy and I felt like an imposition on their day no one even asked if I needed assistance. Ultimately they showed me what I was looking for and suggested another brand that was a few hundread dollars more and kind of defeated the purpose as it was considerably larger then what I wanted. I usually like to support main street businesses but if your going to be treated like a big box store customer you might as well go for the lowest price and be done with it. But none the less I was wondering if it was an off day or if it was just business as usual? Yes we are very fortunate to be here. I especially like the fact I can take a 5 minute walk out back of our property and target practice.
    THANK YOU

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've never been to either in person (in Central Indy, none here) but have ordered from Cabelas online plenty and always had a good experience.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    But none the less I was wondering if it was an off day or if it was just business as usual?

In my experience it is business as usual. Not sure why they are so indifferent on helping people out over there.

timrok

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2011
    Great experiance at Blythes in Valpo, numerous times. Went to the range there and they have everything I like at that store... Cabelas, well behind the gun counter they are really cool and I seem to get the same older fella that seems to find all the 1911's I really want lol. I hate the lines there though but always leave with a purchase. The Blythes in Griffith never seems to have the weapon im looking for but the guy who is knowledgeable in AR's is cool. We can talk for hours it seems.... Bought some guns and lowers there.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I have bought LOTS of guns from both stores. If I go to Blythes and can't get help from Brian or Ryan Blythe...I will leave.

I usually know what I'm looking for, and if I can get it for a decent price from Cabela's, I will do just that.

I understand that Cabelas is a "big box store." With that being said, as far as supporting the "local guy"...I'm here to tell you that (and this may spark a whole new thread) I'm pretty confident that Cabela's going out of business will have a far greater impact on the region vs Blythes going out of business. I'm pretty confident in saying that I don't think either will happen. I am happy to spread my business around. Cabelas is constantly sponsoring safety classes, NRA workshops, the Little Calumet River Festival, Boy Scouts...all kinds of things in our community. So, don't think that the BIG BUILDING is some sort of evil thing. They employ dozens, if not hundreds of people...don't go ****ting on them.

I know that I can talk to Brian and Ryan and get a good deal on anything that I'm looking for at Blythes. I've also had great luck in the Gun Library at Cabela's. Between talking them down on a few used SIGs and being able to use coupons, I don't think anybody has gotten better deals than I have on some great classic guns.

In a nutshell, it usually depends on what you are looking for. I will buy ammo and accessories almost exclusively at Cabela's. If I am looking for a specific new gun, I am more than likely to get a better deal at Blythe's.

I bought a few guns from Westforth but they REALLY pissed me off a few months ago, so they lost my business...their loss, not mine.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Cabelas is constantly sponsoring safety classes, NRA workshops, the Little Calumet River Festival, Boy Scouts

HIGJHACK

Speaking of the the Little Calumet River Festival does anyone know when the 2013 will be? I went canoing in the litte cal river last year when this fest was going on thanks to the fest and it was a lotof fun. Want to do it again this year.

mulsas

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 14, 2012
    Westfield
    I live in Central Indy, but have been to the range at Blythe's in Valpo several times with my stepfather and my son. They have always been very nice and helpful, so I don't think you could go wrong with them.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    I love going into both Blythes and Cabelas. I haven't had a bad experience at either place, but even if I did, I wouldn't let a couple of douche bags ruin my good time looking at firearms.

xfrostybeersx

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    C.P.
    It's nice to have connections at both stores (Ryan-Griffith and Andrew-Valpo) but it all boils done to CS and Valpo hits it on the head. They don't just get you in and get you out. They get you what you are looking for and make sure you are happy with it. Griffith could really work on this aspect seeing that IT is want Consumers are looking for. Granted Valpo is farther for me to drive to, but I will go there for a better experience ( and to see Andrew's ugly mug :rofl: )

sig40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    I have always bought from Blythes in Valpo. They have great customer service and the prices are reasonable.

Lowrider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Valpo
    I've made the rounds and you just can't beat Blythes in Valpo, in my opinion. So many knowledgable people there ALWAYS patient and willing to educate you. They just aren't trying to sell you something and push you out the door. Add great selection, range, and reload ammo always available despite the recent craziness. Supporting INGO events is also another clear indication they are supporting us, so I do the same in return.

Rexmage

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2013
    Marshall Co
    I stumbled across Blythe's about 2 months ago when I got lost in Valpo and stopped in. Very nice selection, helpful staff. Probably the coolest, and helpful staff I've seen in a store that big and busy. Better service than I've seen in tiny stores too when no ones there. They had magazines I wanted, ammo to fill them. Great store, wish it was closer.

tohm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    Lowell
    I would recommend Cabelas or Blythes Valpo (only). Griffith is not the same place it was when i bought my first 1911 there in the 70's

Top Bottom