• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Who's got some? I have a doozy myself which I will tell later tonight but I have to get back to work now that my driver's license has been reinstated!:xmad:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Suspended my license after I hit deer even though I was valid with more than adequate insurance.

You hit a deer, Freeman? Suspended.:laugh:

Took two months and calls to Office of General Counsel to unmuck.

The offender:

The damage:

Pro tip: if a young deer jumps out on I-65, do not slow down and honk at the deer. Honking is the deer signal to thrown down and charge your SUV.

Last edited:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Wanted to change the information on my drivers license to update my current address. Didn't take in the blood sample, hair sample, and urine sample to prove that I am who I am. Okay, I didn't have the required stuff for the new "secure" license. I had a bill mailed to me, a bank statement mailed to me, and my social security card. Didn't have my birth certificate. Because of that, my address on my car registration still has my moms apartment on it. My DL has her old address. I will be changing it soon as I can find my birth certificate.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    We went to the BMV after we got married to get the wife's name changed. We already had it done legally at the SS office. Her SS card had her new full name on it.

"Oh no we can't change your middle initial because its not on your birth certficate..."

Um... lady... we CHANGED HER MIDDLE INITIAL AT THE BMV TO HER OLD LAST NAME...

Well we can't change it unless we have a birth certificate ... ...

Sigh.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Ugh...

So let's say you have to go to a branch, right? If you're not lucky enough to have a computer, you'd probably grab the phone book and call if you have a question about what you need to bring.. except then you get to wait 15 minutes to talk to somebody, and they're at a call center, not your local branch.

The White County branch (Monticello) is open MWF. Carroll County is open TR. If you work those days like so many of us do, you have to go to Lafayette or West Lafayette on a Saturday and try to battle for a spot before they close at noonish..

My last grump - it seems like BMV employees CAN do just about whatever they want - the problems I typically run into are when the employees are trying to figure out what they're allowed to do. Most recently I was trying to apply for a duplicate title. Delphi told me I needed my 12 forms of ID, and when I took them all to Monticello the next day, I somehow didn't need anything other than my DL. If they don't know their own rules, how are we supposed to follow along?

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Ok, here's my story. Just before Thanksgiving this year I was "minding my own bidness" driving to work when a distracted driver rearended me. The police came, took the pertinent facts down, cited the lady for following too close and we went our different ways. I called my insurance agent and they entered a certificate of proof of insurance to the BMV for me. The woman's insurance company paid for the damages, car rental etc, end of story right?
    Nope, on New Year's Eve day I got a notice that no proof of insurance had been submitted? I read the notice and saw they had me owning a 2002 vehicle, I was in my 1996 pickup, I'm too poor for anything in the 2000's yet.
    I Called the BMV, was told to call the sheriff's dept to get an amended accident report submitted asap. Spoke to the nice officer who said it would be taken care of, no problem right?
    I got home this past Friday only to find a notice of license suspension for failure to provide proof of insurance!? So I called the BMV and they said they never got the amended form. I walked to the Sheriff's offices on Moday because I couldn't drive or work as I work for a utility. The receptionist was less than warm about my problem said it was "in the system" I say ok what's the next step? She gave me a copy of the amended form and it was submitted January the 18th. After multiple calls to the BMV and having to go around and above the "dragon lady" receptionist at the Sheriff's dept. The BMV insisted that the Sheriff's dept would have to resubmit the form. I said I have it in my hand let me fax it to you. No can do, it has to come from the law enforcement agency that issued it they said, it is from that agency I replied. By the time all this occurred it was past closing time for the Sheriff's adminsitrative offices.
    I returned to the Sheriff's offices this morning and was able to see the officer who issued the report, he showed it to me on the state's Aries system. Together we called the BMV and when they hear it's the officer who actually issued the amended report they say, "Let us look for it here, this will take a few minutes." Ten minutes later they found the amended report and reinstated my license without even a mea culpa. No wonder everyone I know hates the BMV, even folks I know who have worked there! :xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad::xmad:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    When I went to the branch to give them my paperwork to get my CDL I was quickly told to come up to the desk so they could process my paperwork and have my new mug shot taken. All in all, I was in there maybe 15 minutes.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I gotta admit once I had all my paperwork for my IN DL it was pretty painless.

They won't give a DL to an alien unless you have your green card, which is fair enough (even though states like Arizona will let you trade in your old out of country licence).

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have had pretty good luck over the years too, but this posting is about horror stories guys. :dunno:

Last edited:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Titling a salvaged motorcycle

1. Arrive at the license branch excited to title my newly purchased motorcycle. Approach the nice little lady at the front desk and inform her of my plans to title my motorcycle. Provided old title and bill of sale.
    Little lady: Sir this title is salvage we need documentation of the repairs to the motorcycle parts and labor.
    Myself : Ok I’ll be back
    Spent the day at the shop that I purchased the bike at getting records or repairs receipts and necessary paper work

2. Arrive at license branch excited to tile my motorcycle with my new paper work.
    Little lady: Sir we need a police inspection or this motorcycle before we can proceed. Take this paper and have an officer fill it out.
    Myself: Ok I’ll be back
    Go to local police post request an inspection pay the 15 dollar inspection fee
    Myself: Could you please complete this form for the BMV
    Police officer: This is the wrong form you need to turn this form (new form) into the BMV
    Myself: Thank you officer

3. Arrive at license branch and turn in my police inspection form
    Little lady: Sir this is the wrong form you need to fill out the form I gave you.
    Myself : But Ma’am the officer stated that this is the updated correct form.
    Little lady: The officer is wrong.
    Return to the police department inform the officer his form is incorrect and I need the BMV’s form filled out . Officer obliges.
    4. Arrive at license branch and excited to see I get past the first counter and get to wait. Mr. Whitsett the attendant calls, Yeah I get to title my motorcycle.
    Not so little lady: Hi sir what can I help you with today.
    Myself: I need to title my motorcycle.
    Not so little lady: Well Sir this police inspection is supposed to be filled out by the state police not the local police.
    Myself: Seriously WTF Ok I’ll be back
    Arrive at state police and request inspection. I am informed I must call ahead and schedule an appointment. I go home call and schedule an appointment. I am given a 3-4 hour window. Really!!!! I live ¼ mile away from the post. They know my house and come out every time I have a party and it doesn’t take 3-4 hours.
    7 hours later I get my police inspection.
    5. Arrive at license branch unhappy out of patience and the F*cking little old lady is at the counter just smiling at me. I now hand her my book of paper work. My frustration and work is rewarded I am allow to title my motorcycle………

2 Months later wreck motorcycle and destroy it, maybe the little old lady was trying to warn me……..

seamus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I had a situation like that titling a $50 johnboat that had a lost title. The boat didn't sink though.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    My sister traded in a truck on a new truck & went to have the plates swapped to the new truck. Our mother had told her already what it would cost. They over charged her, after she got done she called mom to see what was wrong with the price. Found out they didn't credit her for something & went back to the branch & told them "my mom said you over charger me" the reply was "who does your mom think she is" answer see below.

When I went to plate my new plow truck I didn't have an insurance card for it, so they didn't want to plate it. I told them what to put in the box when it popped up. They didn't like that, because I was doing the "my mom said" line to them. They asked who I thought my mom was, so I told them....I then had to goto a different branch and got the plate.

Our mother was the ass. Manager of a different BMV Branch.

confused89

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    IN
    So I have a CDL for Class A trucks. I also have a bus endorsement on there as well as everything thing else except school bus. This occured over a 3 year time frame. I check my lisence to see a "O" restriction which is Class B Bus only. I didn't think much of it at the time. I renewed my lisence and it magically came off of there. Now after much discussion with the state police, state bmv office in Indy, and the FMCSA I have deterimined that there is no such thing as a class A bus. Even says so in the FMCSA rule book. My coworkers were having this problem as well. So I went in to renew and update my lisence and the "O" restriction appears again. I gave all the proof I needed to get it revoked, but they would not take it off of there because New York and California have Class "A" buses which according to the FMCSA do not exist. Now all of this would be no concern of mine except for the fact that class B vehicles can only tow a trailer weighing 10,000 pounds or less. The trailer that we have that would go behind the bus weighs in at 22,000 pounds. Which means I could get a ticket for doing my job. So yeah, I really do not know what to do about it. Other than that everything has been peachy.

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Last time I had to renew my license I was in and out in 15 minutes. Brought all my needed paperwork and all went smooth, till day I went to work and gave them my new license to copy for the insurance company. The DMV had issued me a operators license instead of a chauffeurs license and did not include my Motorcycle endorsement. Now there was a little over a month between the time they issued it and the time I gave it to secretary at work. When I went to the DMV to try to get it straightened out I was told I would have test again for both licenses. Never did get it straightened out. Their unnoticed screw up almost cost me my job and it did cost me one of my discounts on my motorcycle insurance. Had I been caught driving the work van without my chauffeurs license it would have also cost me my license. This is probably the worst screw up I have from them. Well that and the time they gave me a car plate for my truck but that was easily resolved.

Top Bottom