• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Let me preface this with I am not a “survivalist”. I have always had an emergency bag (first aid, flashlight, blanket), but nothing to the extent that people here do. I was an avid hiker (I don’t know IN well enough to know where to go yet) so I understand the concept of basic survival gear. I will admit, I have not had to “rely on myself” and I think that is a mistake. That said, I am learning by trying to read old/new threads. I really see the value in have a BOB (I think I'm using the term correctly). I am starting to update my own gear in an old external frame pack. I hope to have the confidence to "test run" this summer and see how we do.

My question is – does anyone have a BOB for their dog? Would you include supplies for your dog in your own bag or use a dog pack (both of my dogs will carry a hiking pack)? Any suggestions?

If this has already been discussed, I couldn't find the thread. Sorry.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'd say it depends on the dog.

I don't plan on having another lap dog after our current 11 year old dachshund passes. We'll be getting something like a GS or Lab of some sort that we can take camping and they will be carrying their own BOB.

I would say if your dogs have some "BOB"s of their own, I would love to see a post in the official BOB thread with what you've got in them. Pictures and links to where the stuff can be gotten is always good!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    they make some pretty cool hiking bags for. they hold a decent amount of stuff.

here are some pretty nice set ups and it would allow them to carry there own food and some ammo :) ect ect ect

pet packs at REI.com

most people don't actually use them as a bob but they do take their dogs hiking a lot on multiple day trips and they don't actually want to carry the extra weight. pretty cool stuff. i have used a couple for my dog and he doesn't even seem to notice they are there. max weight i ever put in it was 16 lbs

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    I have two fairly big lab mixes- 100lbs and 70lbs. My girls are used to the outward hound style already (side backs with belly mesh, water proof). As long as we practice with the weight I’m not seeing too big of a problem. I am worried about the pack getting to wide (they hang like saddle bags).
    I’m trying to come up with what they should have. I’m thinking: collapsible bowls, 6’ and 25’ lead, tie out stake, charcoal packs to filter the water (I don’t know if dogs can use purification tabs?!?), gauze, quick stop, nail trimmer, pull harness, flea/tick med, tick comb (used to remove ticks from long hair dogs) – I’m not certain what else.
    I have a zip lock bag of kibble but several days’ worth would take up an entire side of each pack. Jerky for protein?

LegatoRedrivers

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    When I heard BOB for dogs, for some reason all I could think was this:

Bourbon.png

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Go to ar15.com, survival forum, find Waldo, buy the gear he uses for his Lab if you want your dog to carry gear.

He is a BTDT guy with his dogs hiking for many years in very rough terrain. Waldo makes his dog work.

I travel with my dog a lot and gear is divided into training, hunting, camping and fun. Milk crates/bins hold all of it. I can pull what I need from each or if SHTF take it all in the truck along with a big cube full of food. It does not take up much room.

For hiking, when it gets down to it you need food, water, two bowls and a ground mat or pad for rover. My dog can also drink just fine from a platypus or MSR bladder. The food bag I use also holds the two bowls, a few food tubes with peanut butter and I put her light weight mat in my pack. A very short leash is clipped to a D ring on my pack, of course she wears the collar. A synthetic towel to dry her off. Then build your gear from there.

There are plenty of good pet food bags. I am going to upgrade her bag to a sealline bag as I use many of them already and I need the additional waterproof protection their bags provide.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Unless the dog gets in the water with snags or in thick brush and gets hung up a dozen different ways. Even a collar can be dangerous but if loose enough it will come off when the dog struggles.

What are you advocating here? I agree collars can be a hanging hazard, and can see your point that harnesses are dangerous, but we're talking about harness style packs. If they're wearing that anyways, you may as well forgo the collar.

Wonder about a hi-weight limit material with low wear-resistance so the dog could chew through it easily in a pinch.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    What are you advocating here? I agree collars can be a hanging hazard, and can see your point that harnesses are dangerous, but we're talking about harness style packs. If they're wearing that anyways, you may as well forgo the collar.

Wonder about a hi-weight limit material with low wear-resistance so the dog could chew through it easily in a pinch.
    That's a game changer! I saw harness. Tired, tunnel vision kicking in.

But I am all for a harness on large dogs when boating in shark infested waters. Actually the vest with a grab handle on back. No amount of adrenaline can offset lifting a dog you can't latch onto after the dork goes over the side!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I just went through both the family's and the dogs BOB to repack for summer. This year I went ahead and just let the dog pack his own BOB. Needless to say, we are now out of Bacon and the Cat is missing! :dunno:

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Our puppy Mosin has been wearing a backpack since the first time we took her camping.She carries her own food, plenty of water,a small first aid kit,small ground mat,treats,and a poncho.

5ygoyf.jpg

The ground pad we just strap to the top.She took around 2 hours to get used to the idea when she was a puppy.Now she wears it with out bothering her at all.She also wears a life vest at times.

This is her pack. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/TopDawg-Pet-Supply-Outward-Backpack/dp/B000MKDLPE/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1306457663&sr=8-8[/ame]

I really like the pack as well.It has quick release snaps where you can take off the shell/bags,but the frame stays on the dog.

Last edited:

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    One of our "extended stay" pack's is an animal pack w/3 days worth of food for them in it as well as some animal antibiotics, flea & tick stuff, etc.

It's just a regular backpack that is ready to be tossed into the truck if we have to get out of here in a hurry, it's not one of those packs that the animals would wear.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    The native americans of the plains used dogs to pull a travois,loaded down with all
    kinds of stuff. Can't see why a good size dog couldn't be an asset...or lunch. Some
    tribes ate their dogs too.

Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    If the BOB is for disaster type emergencies rather than hiking in the woods with dog then contents would be different. Something like this:

I have a canvas tote/duffel packed as BOB for my dog. It includes 3-5 days supply of food/water. Poopatrol baggies, Baby wipes for cleanup. Basic doggie firstaid supplies: Bottle of saline solution (without preservatives) to wash out eyes or wounds. Bottle of plain (unflavored) Pedialite for re-hydration and proper electrolyte balance. Vet wrap, Neosporin, Pepto Bismol, small baby socks that fit dog feet in the event of pad injury can be used to hold on bandages, scissors, sterile gauze pads, roll of gauze bandage material, betadine wipes (individually packaged like alcohol wipes), Bottle of Fish Zol (metronidazol antibiotic - used for giardia) Bottle of Fish Mox (amoxicillin), small bottle (1-3oz) peroxide (to induce vomiting), charcoal caps, benedril capsuls (for allergic reactions like bee stings), any other prescription or over the counter meds you regularly treat your dog with such as heartworm meds.

I also pack a business card from our Veterinarian and a photocopy of doggy medical records so you have that if your dog needs to be treated by an emergency veterinarian. In a big disaster the treating Vet may not be able to reach your Vet, or your Vet's office may have also been destroyed. Include copies of prescriptions and any other pertinent info such as micro chip number. Copy of vaccination record. I looked up proper dose of each of the OTC medications in the pack, based on my dog's body weight, and wrote that info on sticker that I placed on each bottle. No guessing about correct dose when you are in a panic, or can't look it up on the internet.

Good photo of dog, in the event that he/she is lost, such as in tornado/flood situation. This photo can help you locate your pet in an animal shelter.

I have a foodsaver vacuum packing machine and have vacuum packed the above items, by category: ie: documents, folded and vacuum packed; pills vacuum packed in flat packets along with copies of the lables from the bottles (flat takes up less space than bottles); first aid supplies vacuum packed to keep sterile and dry.

Extra leash and extra collar with tags. Camping mat and a couple of bath towels for bedding.

Once a month I use up and replace the food with fresh food. Once a year I replace anything else that might have expired. Also I update vet/medical records in the pack at least once a year or as major changes dictate.

The bag is at the ready - grab and go. It sounds like a lot, but does not take up much space and can save you a lot of grief if you need to provide medical assistance to your furry friend in a disaster situation. I have smaller similar bag ready for cat evacuation as well. Cat bag is stored on top of carrier, ready to grab. I keep a cat harness and leash inside the cat carrier along with a comfy towel. Cat will slip a collar in a panic and if you have to evacuate with cat a harness with leash is a good thing to have. If you have multiple dogs or cats then you just need to add their medical records and additional food/water.

Whew !! I know this was a really long reply, but this could surely save you a lot of headaches in a major disaster. American Red Cross also has info on their web site for pet first aid and disaster items to pack for your furry friends.

Hope this is helpful to you all, or at least gives you some "food for thought", and hope you never need to grab that bag and go.

Take Care, Viking Queen

Top Bottom