• strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    When I heard BOB for dogs, for some reason all I could think was this:

Bourbon.png

i got one of these! and here is how i feel if he wants a BOB then he needs to get a job and buy his own!

ok i really do have a st bernerd (yea i spelled it this was purpose) and i havent really given him a lot thought, and maybe i should.

jake

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Thanks. I think this gives me the start I need. My dogs are both big enough to carry their own, so I'll be going the outward hound route. I also have a work harness I will be adding to the big girl's pack. We used to use it to pull the kids sleds around, but I'm thinking it would be good to have with in an emergency. 120lb dog can move/pull a lot of weight.

Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    Cat bag is small canvas tote with 3-5 days food and water(2 bottles), copies of her vaccination and veterinary records as well as copies of her tag and id chip info, photo of cat (Violet), business card from vet, some basic firstaid items, bandages, vet wrap, antiseptics, wet wipes (pet stores have ones that are OK for cats, etc. Extra bath towel for kitty carrier/bed. Small cat litter box and zip lock bag of litter.

Do a little internet research on what OTC meds can be given to cats and verify with your vet on what is OK to use. Cats, as you know are much more sensitive to medications than dogs, so use extreme caution if you decide to give anything to kitty. For example you can give dog Pepto Bismol, but not a cat - Kaopectate is OK for cat or dog. Ask your Vet what is ok.

Since I have both dog and cat I pack first aid stuff in dog bag and a smaller selection of stuff for kitty. I keep bath towel in cat carrier along with harness (pre-fitted to cat) and leash attached to harness. At first sign of problem, grab cat, put on harness and leash and stuff into carrier. That way leash is already attached and if you open carrier and cat bolts you have leash to grab and no lost kitty. In a true emergency ie: grab n'go you grab cat in carrier, bag and go. Leave the emergency litter box. You can deal with that later.

I have had to flee due to tornado once and flood once and with flood we had advance notice so I had a tiny bit more time to grab extra things. Tornado, snap on dog leash, stuff cat in carrier (carrier is close by in closet), grab dog & cat and head to basement for shelter. Bags are in designated spot in basement along with my BOB and portable radio to listen to storm coverage. Thankfully all was well in both cases, but being prepared it took seconds for us to be safely in basement shelter.

Good luck, it really doesn't take long to make up the bags and be all ready to go. Take care, be well. Viking Queen

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i was hoping you had or knew of a pack like the dogs carry. My cat would be so cool with one of those

Viking Queen

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2011
    Colorado
    kickedback:

They actually don't make packs for cats, sorry I misunderstood the question then posted huge answer :rolleyes: that you did not need. You might check various local (not big chain) pet stores to see the smallest size they make for doggies - a store rather like City Dog in Indianapolis. (I live in Colorado but sister lives in Indy so that's how I know about them.) I used to work in a pet specialty store here in Colorado and we carried small packs, but nothing small enough for kitty. Would have to be a really big kitty to carry the smallest ones that are made. You must have a really mellow cat if it would tolerate a back pack. Mine would put up with it for about 30 seconds. Look for one sized for Chihuahua and that would be about cat size. Good luck with the search and post pics of cat with pack if you find one.

Take care, Viking Queen :patriot:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    kickedback:

They actually don't make packs for cats, sorry I misunderstood the question then posted huge answer :rolleyes: that you did not need. You might check various local (not big chain) pet stores to see the smallest size they make for doggies - a store rather like City Dog in Indianapolis. (I live in Colorado but sister lives in Indy so that's how I know about them.) I used to work in a pet specialty store here in Colorado and we carried small packs, but nothing small enough for kitty. Would have to be a really big kitty to carry the smallest ones that are made. You must have a really mellow cat if it would tolerate a back pack. Mine would put up with it for about 30 seconds. Look for one sized for Chihuahua and that would be about cat size. Good luck with the search and post pics of cat with pack if you find one.

Take care, Viking Queen :patriot:
    oh no my cat is not mellow, but in a shtf event he would have to learn to tolerate it. I think he is probably strong enough to carry a small medical pack. He is bigger than a chihuahua though, full grown and gets lots of exercise. thanks for the help!

Kitty

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2010
    Whiting
    Comfort with the gear and weight. Also in stress conditions. Bottled water is good to practice with until they are used to it (worst that happens is the pack get wet). I have actually walked my dogs during Perogie fest carrying about 6 bottles each. I know they can carry the weight and know how to move in the backs. Now I have ideas of what to put in them. Once I get something I'm comfy with, I'll post it

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    The general rule is, for the dog to be able to carry 12-15% of it's body weight. My dog weights in at 70lbs. With his pack loaded with three days food, medical pack, and gear depending on the time of year, it weighs in around 10-13 lbs. At that weight, he can go for 2-3 hours without taking a break. The cats are on there own. They are the ultimate survivors!

Top Bottom