• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I want to hear other's opinions. What caliber rifle would you prefer for a bugout bag? My opinion is to carry an AR or some other compact .223/5.56 rifle. Luckily for me, there are two of us right now, so I can afford to throw a small .22LR firearm in a second bag. If you were alone though, what would you carry?

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    In my truck for getting home there are always two handguns and binoculars in my gear. If I have that I feel comfortable.

If I am grabbing a long gun at home it's an AR. I like hunting with them, they are very capable AND light. Good general purpose gun & caliber anyone can shoot or carry all day.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    For my get home rifle I chose one of the kel tec sub2k in glock 17. I edc a g17 so mags are compatible and I throw a few stick mags in and I'm good to go. The keltec folds up and fits in very small bag. the mag compatibility is huge for me. if your talking just plain old bugging out never coming back well then I see no reason for anything other than an AR just due to the fact that everyone in America owns one so parts and ammo will be very easily found. That and a nice 22lr. same reasons as above I'd probably go with a ruger 10-22

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    A rifle (as opposed to shotgun or handgun) specifically for bugging out (as opposed to getting home, EDC, etc.) would undoubtedly be an AR. As the others have said above, there's a myriad of reasons why it's the best choice. They're also right about a .22 being the next best choice. If it's you and the better half you'd be well served to carry the AR and have her carry a 10/22.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Another Sub 2K here, using modified Ruger P-series mags (to go with EDC). And an AR7 for .22, though it requires some rather serious tweaking to be made reliable. Some just can't handle aftermarket 15 round mags.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    My thinking, when confronted by the question of trunk gun/BOB gun/Get home Gun, etc -- the day I need my BOB Rifle is the day I really need my BOB rifle. That means to me that it has to be a very high quality and reliable firearm that I am intimately familiar with. It cannot be a substitute.

Whenever the worst day of your life happens, you won't be afforded the opportunity to go to your safe and pick out your 'good' rifle. Your 'good rifle' better be with you or your worst day ever might get a little worse.

My 2 cents. Take this for whatever you think its worth. :)

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    Depends on what your intended use for the rifle is.

My first line is a Glock 17 in 9mm.
    My second line is an AR in .223/5.56.

Both plans involve avoiding contact with anyone, whenever possible. No need to try to have a firefight with it can potentially be avoided.

Rocdenindy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Indy
    I am torn between my AR-15 and my 12 gauge. But if I had to choose just one, it would be my AR. More capacity, more options ammo wise and greater distance. But my overall weapons package would include my AR, 12 gauge, Ruger 10/22 takedown, Ruger SR-22 handgun and then my Glock 23.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I certainly agree with the AR being the rifle. That said, your rifle may not necessarily be able to go with you under all circumstances. Leaving the rifle or stashing it may have to happen. If that is the case, it would sure pay to have a full sized service pistol/mags/rig and the skills to effectively use it.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm married with three little kids. If we ever had to "bug out" it's not going to be by foot. Honestly we wouldn't get very far and if that's the case it'd be more comfortable to die at home. If we had to leave it's either a minivan or a crew cab, so I'd definitely be taking AR's, full sized pistols and plenty of ammo. I'd be meeting up with friends and greeted warmly by very well trained, armed and supplied people. All the sheep "bugging out" to my house for protection will find it empty, and stripped of all quality good. They'd get my scraps of whatever I didn't or couldn't take with me.

I get the appeal of a 22lr for a bug out gun. If you'd have asked me some time ago I'd have agreed, but if I'm actually "bugging out" then I really need a big boy rifle, and it needs to have a big boy caliber.

The idea that people are going to wondering around the woods needing spare parts for the rifles/pistols or whatever is pure fantasy in my mind. Buy a quality rifle/pistol so the probability of needing a spare parts drops dramatically.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    SBR AR. I love AKs, but 100% AR. Ideally I'd have a 22 conversion with me too. My scenario ideally involves a car though to a specific location, but I realize that's not always going to happen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom