• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    Man, I tried that grip and dry fired, it does make a difference in pulling the trigger, even fast ones. The both arms twisting in seems good too. I've read it's 60/40 and heard from advice too. Gonna try this Vogel grip this sunday. Man, this is exciting.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Can anyone share what was unique about the grip?

Jackson the video posted above explains it very well. Bob explained it exactly that way in class. The light didn't go on for me until he had me remove my support hand from the gun and he replaced it with his own. He then demonstrated the amount of inward pressure that he was talking about, ding,ding, ding. This grip looks very similar to what most folks are currently using, it is very different.
    It will take some work to change, I think it will be worth it.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I bet you guys will still be picking things up a week from now. It takes awhile to digest all the stuff experienced in a class like that.

I did notice, that Big Mike says he can move as fast as anyone else. I noticed that about him years ago.

You guys are all good shooters, give me the ONE thing that was your lightbulb moment........

I've already mentioned movement and grip.
    The ONE thing after that is Bob's approach to dryfire. It's not as mind numbingly boring as other methods. I am more likely to do something that doesn't bore me to tears.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    Jackson the video posted above explains it very well. Bob explained it exactly that way in class. The light didn't go on for me until he had me remove my support hand from the gun and he replaced it with his own. He then demonstrated the amount of inward pressure that he was talking about, ding,ding, ding. This grip looks very similar to what most folks are currently using, it is very different.
    It will take some work to change, I think it will be worth it.

when I switched to a glock I thought, well, let's see what Bob has to say on how to shoot these stupid things. I tried that method for like 6 months. it wrecked my shooting. my trigger control went all to hell and the sight tracking was all over the place. I couldn't get the gun to return. I literally had trouble holding onto the gun; as I got my elbows higher and torqued in more my bottom WH fingers would slip off the SH, especially if I tried to get as far fwd as Bob. It might have shot a tad flatter, but there's more to a good grip than keeping the FS down. I think hand size plays a part in being able to do this well, w/ larger hands if I could wrap my WH around more of the SH it might work. I went back to the way I've always done it and my shooting improved (got back to normal) over night. But I gave it a serious try... that's what's important as you are shown new techniques. most of my grip pressure is focused at the top of the gun anyway (you can see this in the amount of wear on my grip material), so maybe I'm already most of the way there.

-rvb

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    when I switched to a glock I thought, well, let's see what Bob has to say on how to shoot these stupid things. I tried that method for like 6 months. it wrecked my shooting. my trigger control went all to hell and the sight tracking was all over the place. I couldn't get the gun to return. I literally had trouble holding onto the gun; as I got my elbows higher and torqued in more my bottom WH fingers would slip off the SH, especially if I tried to get as far fwd as Bob. It might have shot a tad flatter, but there's more to a good grip than keeping the FS down. I think hand size plays a part in being able to do this well, w/ larger hands if I could wrap my WH around more of the SH it might work. I went back to the way I've always done it and my shooting improved (got back to normal) over night. But I gave it a serious try... that's what's important as you are shown new techniques. most of my grip pressure is focused at the top of the gun anyway (you can see this in the amount of wear on my grip material), so maybe I'm already most of the way there.

-rvb

I'm aware that this could happen. I'm going to give it a go and see what happens. At the very least I'll have some motivation to dryfire.
    I have large hands that may be why I liked the Idea so much.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I used that grip during the portions of the class that were either not timed or the par times were not a challenge for me and the results were great. However, when things got tougher on par times and shooting stage I did what I normally do because it is not yet a habit. Right now it is slower to acquire the grip, but that can be fixed with practice.

a zone

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    I dry fired tonight for the first time in years. I felt the pinch in the web of my hand that told me I was higher on the gun than normal. And I tried to meet the gun closer to my body to get a little farther forward on the gun. When I dropped down the par time it got harder to be smooth. But I hope the pay off in trigger control is going to be worth the work. Wow, that almost sounded like a commitment to practice.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    ...Wow, that almost sounded like a commitment to practice.

That's just crazy talk. :nuts:

I found myself thinking over things from the class while driving down the road today (note, I specifically avoided any thought of Cheetos). I want to spend some time on the range practicing (with and without actually firing).

mongo404

Master
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Frankfort
    For the next 2 weeks I plan on doing my dry fire without a timer. I will just focus on correct draw and sight picture and not moving the front sight when pressing the trigger. Then move to transitions and splits.
    Muched needed motivation was gained this past weekend.

Without Cheetos!!!

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    What was the approximate round count? How many students were in the class?
    Interesting figure 8 movement around the barrels. Did he have any specific advice for maneuvering around obstacles like that? (besides don't get your feet tangled:):)

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    What was the approximate round count? How many students were in the class?
    Interesting figure 8 movement around the barrels. Did he have any specific advice for maneuvering around obstacles like that? (besides don't get your feet tangled:):)

My best estimate of round count is 700 to 800.
    Move explosively but be ready to shoot when you get there.
    Bob is not huge fan of shooting on the move unless the stage requires it.

Top Bottom