• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Do any of you know if there is a bolt action, tube fed .22LR currently being made or for that matter ever made with success? If so where could someone acquire one? The reason I am looking is a Christmas present for my father, but so far have had no luck. He hates the magazine sticking out, yet wants the bolt action for accuracy.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    The Marlin xt22r is a blue finished synthetic stock model with tube mag and 22xtsr is likewise except in stainless.
    These feed S,L, and LR
    BTW, Welcome to INGO:ingo:
    Marlin Model XT-22

These types of rifles were once very common but I think these may be the last two. Marlin also makes a trio of models in 22WMR with the stainless gun having a laminate wood stock.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've lurked for awhile and spent some time weighing my options on handguns. That Marlin would be perfect if only it was a wood stock. Dad is still old school and loves the feel. I think it still will definitely be worth a look! Thanks a lot!

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've lurked for awhile and spent some time weighing my options on handguns. That Marlin would be perfect if only it was a wood stock. Dad is still old school and loves the feel. I think it still will definitely be worth a look! Thanks a lot!

I completely agree with this ^^. Marlin makes the stainless tube-fed Model 60 semi-auto with a wood stock, but not the tube-fed bolt action.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana

I've often wondered why Marlin offers two wood stocked 22WMR models, and only synth. in 22LR. There were many of these wood stocked guns made in the past tho' you could look for Marlins model 81,781 and 881 and Rem model 582 just to name a few.

philbert001

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 4, 2012
    Allen County
    Winchester model 72, (Sporter), or 72A, (Heavy target model)
    I have the 72, and I'm better with the irons on it, than I am with the irons on any of my ARs! If you can find one, he'd love it!
    win26933model72bro.jpg

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I've often wondered why Marlin offers two wood stocked 22WMR models, and only synth. in 22LR. There were many of these wood stocked guns made in the past tho' you could look for Marlins model 81,781 and 881 and Rem model 582 just to name a few.

Yea I got excited when I first saw them but only led to further disappointment. It baffles me as to why Marlin doesn't make a wood stock. heck that's all they used to make and they were some fine looking rifles. The Savage looks like a nice gun as well just not interested. A 10/22 is flush, but he doesn't like how it is fatter when carrying by hand.

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Winchester model 72, (Sporter), or 72A, (Heavy target model)
    I have the 72, and I'm better with the irons on it, than I am with the irons on any of my ARs! If you can find one, he'd love it!
    win26933model72bro.jpg

Where would someone be able to get one of these? Online gun shops or just by luck on a buy/sell page?

GBolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    The Marlin xt22r is a blue finished synthetic stock model with tube mag and 22xtsr is likewise except in stainless.
    These feed S,L, and LR
    BTW, Welcome to INGO:ingo:
    Marlin Model XT-22

These types of rifles were once very common but I think these may be the last two. Marlin also makes a trio of models in 22WMR with the stainless gun having a laminate wood stock.

Boyds has laminate stocks for the XT 22 tube fed rifles. I believe you have to also get a trigger guard and a couple of screws from either Marlin or Numrich/Midway/Brownells etc. May be able to call an order a hardwood version as well?

King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Boyds has laminate stocks for the XT 22 tube fed rifles. I believe you have to also get a trigger guard and a couple of screws from either Marlin or Numrich/Midway/Brownells etc. May be able to call an order a hardwood version as well?

Gave calling a thought as well. Do you think they would be willing to work with a customer being such a big company? I'd say the price would skyrocket if so but its definitely worth a SHOT. haha. (Edit: Marlin does absolutely no custom work :(..)As far as Boyds it seems like the nutmeg finish would be something nice but like you said might have to do some other minor modifications. Looks like I'm going to be doing some calling soon

Last edited:

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Yea I got excited when I first saw them but only led to further disappointment. It baffles me as to why Marlin doesn't make a wood stock. heck that's all they used to make and they were some fine looking rifles. The Savage looks like a nice gun as well just not interested. A 10/22 is flush, but he doesn't like how it is fatter when carrying by hand.

The 10-22 Deluxe Sporter here, street price around $300 or a bit more IIRC, a little sleeker than the standard gun, fairly good looking too imo. Jeff Miley in Jasper (Jeff's Bait and Guns) has a minty one for $265
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=454859540

Ruger® 10/22® Sporter Autoloading Rifle Models

1102.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've got a Remington 592 that belonged to my Grandfather. If you can find one they typically shoot very well and are a good looking rifle if they've been taken care of.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country

Boyds' wood laminate stocks for the Marlin XT-22 comes with a trigger guard.
    You can get it in many different colors, as well as have intitials engraved on it.
    boydsgunstocks.com

Last edited:
    Top Bottom