• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • King31

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    Looking for a 22 rifle in the above configuration has been very tough to find. It looks like Marlin produced a variety of these in the XT series but I cannot seem to find one for sale online. Other than that I have seen much older rifles like a Winchester 72A, Mossberg 146, and Remington 512. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to find one of these outside of GB?

Bstarkey_46947

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2021
    Indiana
    I have a 512 that was given to me 40 years ago. The bolt is nice and firm, fit and finish are very nice. Manufactured in the period when they made them well. Good luck on the hunt.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I have a 512 that was given to me 40 years ago. The bolt is nice and firm, fit and finish are very nice. Manufactured in the period when they made them well. Good luck on the hunt.
    I just gave one away. Was worse for wear but has a walnut stock that will clean up beautifully. Made room for a Ruger No 1

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If you can find an old Mossberg bolt gun, and there were gazillions of them made, buy it.
    As long as it's not beat all to hell or rusted bore, these things shoot lights out almost every time.
    Mossberg produced several different model number bolt guns, though most I think we're box magazine.
    There are treasures to be found at estate sales, pawn shops, rural yard sales...
    Anytime I eye an old Mossberg I give it the once over, to see if it needs to come home with me.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you can find an old Mossberg bolt gun, and there were gazillions of them made, buy it.
    As long as it's not beat all to hell or rusted bore, these things shoot lights out almost every time.
    Mossberg produced several different model number bolt guns, though most I think we're box magazine.
    There are treasures to be found at estate sales, pawn shops, rural yard sales...
    Anytime I eye an old Mossberg I give it the once over, to see if it needs to come home with me.
    Agreed!

1692391781143.jpeg 1692391828432.jpeg

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    sounds like I just need to get lucky or over pay on GB. Thanks folks
    Seriously, scout the rural sales, estate sales, and just put out some feelers.
    I've had guns find me, because most everyone who knows me, knows I'm interested in firearms.

You could also snipe one from GunBroker.
    If you are a registered member, you can watch several auctions at any given time.
    I look at auctions that interest me, that are due to close in the middle of the night, or better yet, on a holiday.

Many years ago I saw a Marlin model 336 in .30-30 and it had no reserve. It was also due to close at like 11:58 on Thanksgiving Eve.
    Now understand, GunBroker has a "15 minute rule" in their bidding structure.
    No matter the scheduled close time, if someone places a bid with less than 15 minutes left on any auction, said auction is extended for an additional 15 minutes to allow bidders the chance to top the last bid.

So, I waited until 17 minutes before the auction end and placed my bid.
    This gives me time to bid again if my latest isn't high enough, but doesn't trigger the 15 minute extension.
    I won that Marlin 336 for a measly $225.25.
    After the auction I looked at the bids and realized I won that gun by $0.25!

You just never know, but the less people actively watching the bidding favors you.
    As always, ymmv.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    They sure seem to have an over-abundance of S & W handguns
    They get what folks walk in and sell. I was there picking up and a guy brought in 3 guns at once.

I've gotten some nice guns there for good prices.

Use the make an offer feature and negotiate. A couple of offers I considered on the low end were accepted.

@King31 - see if there are any pawn shops near you that deal in used guns.

Top Bottom