• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I kept flipping channels back and forth between the Brickyard and the Open golf tournament.
    The Brickyard came out with enough fender benders to compete with the Speedrome figure 8s.
    I am glad Kahne won. Loved JJ getting every second his car had to give. I'm a Hendricks and Chevy fan.
    Honestly, NASCAR lost me when Gordon retired and the rules changes weren't to my liking.

Tony was the last of my guys. After he threw in the towel and the rules monsters manipulated it into silliness I just gave up.
    If Bw is correct it might be worth a look again.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    The only people in the stands were vendors looking around for someone to sell beer and hotdogs?

Looked that way on TV.
    I live right above the track to the north. Traffic was no worse than a busy Friday coming in and going out.
    It used to take hours to get in and get out. Not anymore.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I took my son up Saturday morning, and it was a ghost town even when we left around noon. Even the infield just seemed empty. Kentucky had way more vendor displays and activities going on. We still had fun, a man can't help but smile seeing cars go 200mph. I really hope the actions starts to pick up again soon though otherwise my yearly tradition may stop happening.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I took my son up Saturday morning, and it was a ghost town even when we left around noon. Even the infield just seemed empty. Kentucky had way more vendor displays and activities going on. We still had fun, a man can't help but smile seeing cars go 200mph. I really hope the actions starts to pick up again soon though otherwise my yearly tradition may stop happening.

The attendance of the 1st 5 years was solid. A sea of parked cars on Georgetown rd all the way north to 38th st. Solid. Not an empty spot in any yard you looked at.
    It started sliding when the rules package put the cars in single file with hardly any passing. The tire debacle and the Car of Tomorrow killed it.

Then they stole the race from IRP. That ruined that show.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The attendance of the 1st 5 years was solid. A sea of parked cars on Georgetown rd all the way north to 38th st. Solid. Not an empty spot in any yard you looked at.
    It started sliding when the rules package put the cars in single file with hardly any passing. The tire debacle and the Car of Tomorrow killed it.

Then they stole the race from IRP. That ruined that show.

Agreed. We had 14 tickets from 94-06 and the first few year it was as you described. Tons of traffic and everyone was packed into the stands. Then it started dropping of as they kept changing rules. Likewise they started pushing some of the older drivers out and about every team had to bring some "young gun" in and put them in a seat. Drivers that too often don't show any emotion and there are no rivalries either. Nascar has pretty much lost their blue collar roots and personalities

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Taking the truck race and xfinity race away from IRP was a bad decision. That is a great short track that carried more nascar history than any track in the state and it was always an exciting race. I remember going to the Kroger 200 back when IRP was still surrounded by corn fields and the busch series cars had V6's. I never understood that decision.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Stages in races are nauseating.
    I'm sure Nascar is getting their pockets greased by the TV networks and sponsors.
    The race means little to them other than banners and commercials for name recognition and income.
    The drivers are no longer needed, fan loyalty is lost, car owners just own a high speed billboard for effect.
    Nascar has to be a tax write off these days. I see no other attraction.
    Sad, but I really don't give a .... about it either way.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Larson wins Michigan! :rockwoot:

Lasrson.8.13.17.jpg

Redhead Monster girl is smokin'...
    :wwub:

Top Bottom