• ...and so much more!
  • Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I'm currently reading:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Raising-Self-Reliant-Children-Self-Indulgent-World/dp/0761511288/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1298304481&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Raising Self-Reliant Children in a Self-Indulgent World: Seven Building Blocks for Developing Capable Young People (0086874511286): Jane Nelsen Ed.D.: Books[/ame]

I like the fact that its emphasis is on raising kids who can sort things out for themselves rather than needing answers and solutions handed to them. It involves a fair bit of letting them fail and then helping them figure out what went wrong and how to fix it in the future. It's also amazing how many folks I know who fit the mold of their "bad examples". I'm about halfway through it, but I'd recommend it, particularly to those with a libertarian bent.

I'd like to know what other people have read, what they would recommend, and what they would recommend avoiding.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    We read "His Needs Her Needs, For Parents." Having a healthy relationship with your spouse is the first building block to being a good parent. It has a chapter or two specifically for child rearing, but speaks to it throughout. Very good book, IMO. Made a lot of sense to me.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I am reading:
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Strong-Fathers-Daughters-Secrets-ebook/dp/B000X16PVE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&m=AG56TWVU5XWC2&s=digital-text&qid=1298306251&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Strong Fathers, Strong Daughters: 10 Secrets Every Father Should Know eBook: Margaret J. Meeker: Kindle Store[/ame]

I'm only about half to 2/3's through it, but it has been good so far. Pretty to-the-point, which I like. As a father, I have been pretty apprehensive about raising my daughter. Now I know why!

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Currently (and indefinitely): the Bible; and as part of a bible study The Power of a Positive Mom

Previously: lots. I am a voracious reader. But the only ones that really changed the way I view parenting was BabyWise and Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. Both said essentially the same thing, but one focused more on the mechanics and the other focused more on the big picture. The complimented each other well.

Though not directly parenting related, I just finished The Latin-Centered Curriculum too.

Top Bottom