• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • genehopkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    I am one of those old fashioned types who just happens to love books - real books, not Internet facsimiles. Does anyone know of good books to help me learn more about Garands?

I want to learn about them, how to shoot them, how to care for them, what to look for when purchasing them, etc.

Thanks for any advice.

genehopkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Thanks all.

DNurk- I live in Columbus, where would you be located? I wouldn't mind buying you lunch or a cold drink in exchange for picking your brain...

I just bought a 1954 H&R, looks nice but I know nothing...

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    My favorite is Hatchers Book of the Garand. He was there when the rifle was developed, and the book was written right after WWII so the info was all fresh. If nothing else, it will teach you the proper way to pronounce "Garand".
    However, don't use the match prep info if you have any such plans. Those procedures have pretty much all changed.

Duff and McKee's Owner's Guide has the best complete teardown instructions.

Duff's other books have the best historical info for matching up parts. They do need an updating, though. Not because the info is bad, but because there is more data out there now.

Jim Thompson did a couple of Garand books. They are a little different from the usual Garand books because they are oriented more toward the shooter than the collector, with tuning tips, handload data, etc. I like them, but some purists don't.

The Canfield book on the Garand and Carbine is OK.

The Poyer (For Collector's Only) book is alright. The only real advantage over the Duff books is that it is more compact if you are going to carry it to gun shows.

If they still sell it, the NRA had a thin book that was a compilation of Garand articles. I think it has the article by John R. Clarke from 1986 on reloading for the Garand, which is pretty much the standard reference there. If it's in there, it's worth buying just for that. T
    Actually, that article can be found here too:
    Reloading for the M1 Rifle -J. Clarke

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I used to collect Garands and in my opinion. Next to John Garand himself. Scott Duff is the Garand master.For what it is worth, He is actually a personal friend of the John Garand family. I have talked to him on the phone multiple times and he is very personable as well for a person that is as well published as he. Anyway his books are like a bible to the Garand collector. I highly recommend them. Good Luck and enjoy as the Garand is a magnificent rifle.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    I plan to purchase my first one soon as well. I'll be driving back home from Florida the first week of August and I plan on stopping by the South CMP store to pick out a Service grade M1. I'd love to hear about other sites/literature as well as i know very little about them.

Top Bottom