• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Well i went ahead and tried it....and mine happened to be soldered on. I tear the whole sight off including the dovetail mount. So im going to go back with my old plan. I grinded down what was left of the old dovetail to make it nice and round. I plan on welding my picitanny rail on in a little bit

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Holy Cow! How did you take off the dovetail? Did you heat it up too much?

I was thinking about a $700 mosin psudo-scout project that would hopefully fulfill all the scout requirements except the Iron Sights (I am still trying to figure out how to do that).

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Holy Cow! How did you take off the dovetail? Did you heat it up too much?

I was thinking about a $700 mosin psudo-scout project that would hopefully fulfill all the scout requirements except the Iron Sights (I am still trying to figure out how to do that).

That's just what I was thinking! How did you manage to remove the dovetail? As far as I could tell, it was part of the barrel itself... On the video I linked, they had the base heated dull red and smacked it off the base, you could see all the solder... But taking part of the barrel dovetail itself off??

I'd ask for pics if you hadn't ground down the dovetail already...

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Basically....i beat the **** out of it with a hammer. It broke the "wings" off of the dovetail itself. I have no clue what i did :dunno:

But... i really like how my gun turned out. Im going to put up pics in the text few days. I have to get a differant red dot to make it look right. Once its done you guys will be the first to know! I love the way it turned out

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I did most of my machining at work...but now I have my own milling machine and will be getting a lathe pretty soon. Now all I need is some new ideas. Yep, I got bored with the Mosins too, so I figured I would change them. This is 5 of 10 I have done....from wild to mild.

picture.php

what front site did you put on and how hard are they to install?

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    I used a Marbles front sight ramp, .225 height, .375 dovetail slot for .687 barrel and a Williams front sight .290 height .340 width 3/32" gold bead.
    I drilled and tapped for a 6-32 screw. I believe the one they give you with the ramp is a 6-42 or something like that.
    And yeah...I drilled right through to the bore and used jewelers files to take out any burrs. It is almost impossible to tap such a shallow hole like that.
    I did it one time and it took several taps and a lot of time. The results speak for themselves. I had to try a couple of sight heights till I got the right one.

picture.php

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Basically....i beat the **** out of it with a hammer. It broke the "wings" off of the dovetail itself. I have no clue what i did :dunno:

But... i really like how my gun turned out. Im going to put up pics in the text few days. I have to get a differant red dot to make it look right. Once its done you guys will be the first to know! I love the way it turned out

Did you heat it first with a propane torch? Or did you just start beating on it?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Beating on it. I wasnt aware of the silver solder until after i did it.

Shoulda read the post and watched the video first, lol.

I went through his whole series of videos before I started tinkering with mine, so far I've got the barrel free-floated by a combination of shimming and sanding the barrel channel (my barrel actually appears off-center in the channel), and polished the bolt and smoothed it quite a bit, no trigger work yet...

Stripped and in the process of re-finishing the stock (hand-rubbed Linseed), got all the varnish off the metal... Seriously considering chopping the stock off at the rear band, not going to keep the original stock on it anyway... Hmm....

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Yea well i was ready to do some stuff so i went ahead and did it lol. Im not too worried about the sight base anyways. I have my red dot on it and ill be putting up pics tomorow! I also have free floated the barrel and shimmed the trigger, well one washer.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Yea well i was ready to do some stuff so i went ahead and did it lol. Im not too worried about the sight base anyways. I have my red dot on it and ill be putting up pics tomorow! I also have free floated the barrel and shimmed the trigger, well one washer.

Did you free-float the barrel just by sanding the channel?
    I even got out the dremel with a sanding drum and couldn't get mine to stop touching right around where the rear barrel band slot starts... I ended up using a .010 brass shim under the rear action screw, and .020 of brass shim under the front of the action to get it free-floated...

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Thanks! Im not sure how the holes work yet. Im out of ammo but im going to get some today or tomorow and sight in the red dot. Im hoping the holes help with the recoil a bit.

I cut the barrel down to 16"
    Drilled the holes
    Floated the barrel
    Shimmed the trigger
    Took off the iron sight
    Mounted rails with a red dot

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Yes i said it...im bored with it. Ive put lots and lots of rounds down the chamber and now im ready to try something else. No i dont want to sell it. I do love this gun its a great shooter so i was thinking of modifying it somehow. Maybe cutting the barrel down to 16"? Putting an upward cant on the muzzle to help with recoil? Maybe a red dot?

Whats some weird stuff youve seen done to a Mosin? Im just looking to spice it up a bit.

Here it is..... Overall Length is 37"

Its nothing too fancy but i like it!

sfjbt3.jpg

2zdsrux.jpg

10hls42.jpg

2l9k2ud.jpg

Looks good! I like the holes at the end of the barrel. When are you going to shoot it?
    How many hours did you spend working on it?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom