• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    So I read the posts about the SHTF situation in Argentina and one thing stuck with me. They got bored. He said that books were worth their weight in gold because they couldn't get them. This can be applied to any situation. A while back we lost power in the ice storm and i just remember being bored. All the time.

Has anyone thought of this? I have a small library built up but I want more. I try to hit the library when they have book sales, garage sales (got a whole box of out dated guns and ammo mags that were really cool :rockwoot: for free!), and print up online material that I have saved..

Anyone else preparing for boredom?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Yes, excellent point. We have paperbacks in our B.O.B.'s, they will get you through the long nights. L'Amour, Grishem, Clancy, Roark, Annabell, etc.
    I had a library in the house before a gun room, we're ready for a bug-in, kinda hard to carry for a bug-out.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    I predict a great many births once the dust settles, look back through history every major winter storm has had an impact on the birth rate 9 months later.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I predict a great many births once the dust settles, look back through history every major winter storm has had an impact on the birth rate 9 months later.

Great way to keep warm as well. :rockwoot:

Remember though, in the severe cold if you sweat you die. Just sayin.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Books are invaluable. Completely invaluable.

Also priceless is a good folding chess set.

Good not only for whittling away the hours waiting for the knock on the door, but also good for training in strategics - troop placement, enemy movement, planning routes of attack, routes of transit, supplies... chess: it's what's for dinner, breakfast, and lunch.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Boredom? What's that?

I'm semi-joking. Reading the Diary of Anne Frank you get a feel for that type of situation and the boredom that can happen there. But in managing a homestead I am NEVER bored. On the few rare occasions I am out somewhere and have to wait with nothing to do, the brain is still buzzing with organizing projects and other stuff, and on the extremely rare occasions I have to be somewhere for a few days, it's relaxing to be able to turn the brain off for a little while, I consider that golden. If I am ever in a situation where I am forced to have nothing to do for a long period of time, I am going to get back into writing.

I do NOT understand people who are bored with normal life. I have so much to do that is interesting, I could fill many lifetimes. I wish I could buy the time that some folks waste being bored. To quote Wierd Al, I'll be mellow when I'm dead.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Another great tool to combat this problem is an Old wind up Victrola and some LP's. When the power would drop out when we were kids we would spin up an LP.

ocsdor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Grow a garden big enough to feed your family for a year and you won't be bored during the growing season.

"Boredom is the devil's playground."

Top Bottom