• ...and so much more!
  • 2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Currently looking at some borescopes.

In order to meet my goal budget of <=$100 I was recommended the Teslong brand.
    Here are the ones I was looking at:

basic version ($45)

with compatible screen so you don't have to connect your phone / laptop ($65)

Anyone have experience with these Teslong brand products? Most reviews seem good and I was recommended them by someone more knowledgeable than I, but there's also some iffy reviews out there, so I figure I'd ask here.

Also, no reason to limit discussion to the Teslong brand stuff... If you have a different brand borescope and like it/hate it let me know. Or if you think I need to up my budget to get a good one I would appreciate that input as well, especially if you have a certain borescope in mind.

Thanks in advance!

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I have the same one and use it with my phone.

Photo from same thread marvin02 mentioned of bore starting to lead up...

OVA5xKg.jpg

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Thanks gmc! I'll wait a little to see if they go on sale for a Christmas deal. I've got my sights set on the Teslong basic one. No reason to drop the extra $20 on the screen if you guys are having no issues using your phones/tablets

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    A borescope is a mixed blessing. I have rifles that shoot well, but need 3-4 fouling shots to settle in after cleaning. I got a borescope and now I know why. Looks like the rifling was cut with a tired old beaver. Well they are not top of the line guns so that's ok. Do you like to clean guns. With a borescope the tendency is to keep cleaning till it looks like bare metal. That can be a quick way to damage a barrel with too much scrubbing or leaving chemicals in too long. I have fixed "clean" guns that stopped shooting well by removing a carbon ring 3-4 in from the chamber.

That said make sure the one you buy is suitable for firearms. Some for medical or industrial uses have 8mm (.39in) shafts. You need the 5.5mm (.2) in models . Some don't come with right angle mirrors. Focus in the bore is controlled by the distance of the mirror to the camera lens. You will have to play around with how far in the mirror is screwed onto the camera shaft to get a clear picture. The more expensive models have rigid camera shafts. This keep the camera parallel to bore. The flexible shaft models can have the camera pointing at an angle to the bore= fuzzy image. Especially if you use the 5.5mm shaft in a 30 cal bore.

Bottom line- It's tool and needs to be used properly. Plus it fun.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    A borescope is a mixed blessing. I have rifles that shoot well, but need 3-4 fouling shots to settle in after cleaning. I got a borescope and now I know why. Looks like the rifling was cut with a tired old beaver. Well they are not top of the line guns so that's ok. Do you like to clean guns. With a borescope the tendency is to keep cleaning till it looks like bare metal. That can be a quick way to damage a barrel with too much scrubbing or leaving chemicals in too long. I have fixed "clean" guns that stopped shooting well by removing a carbon ring 3-4 in from the chamber.

That said make sure the one you buy is suitable for firearms. Some for medical or industrial uses have 8mm (.39in) shafts. You need the 5.5mm (.2) in models . Some don't come with right angle mirrors. Focus in the bore is controlled by the distance of the mirror to the camera lens. You will have to play around with how far in the mirror is screwed onto the camera shaft to get a clear picture. The more expensive models have rigid camera shafts. This keep the camera parallel to bore. The flexible shaft models can have the camera pointing at an angle to the bore= fuzzy image. Especially if you use the 5.5mm shaft in a 30 cal bore.

Bottom line- It's tool and needs to be used properly. Plus it fun.

Appreciate the info! The Teslong one I've mentioned is the 5.5mm/.20 caliber and seems to have been designed (or at least marketed) for firearms.

The same Teslong brand sells mirror sets for larger bore diameters too: https://www.amazon.com/Teslong-Borescope-Diameter-22-308-38-50-Calibers/dp/B085XXZQK2 Currently out of stock but they were around $15 last time I checked so not too expensive.

I think I'll end up buying extra mirrors for whatever borescope I get.

And, Teslong also sells rigid borescopes, still within my budget, but I don't know anyone personally who owns a rigid Teslong, only the flexible ones I linked in the original post. I've used a different rigid borescope before, a Hawkeye brand which was extremely nice and easy to use, so I'm not against a rigid one, just need to find a well-vetted product within my budget. (the Hawkeye brand is 10x my budget)

Top Bottom