Born Again...A Smith and Wesson Model 29-3 lives to shoot another day......

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A beater heeter....a rat rod of a gun. Love it!

I had hopes of doing a similar "rat rod" Shotgun - but a LNIB one fell into my lap shortly after I purchased a base gun for the rat rod.

Cool story, man. I definitely enjoy your posts!

-J-

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If you want to make them moon craters go away like a bad tattoo made you can do what this guy did;

I figure this Smith is like them acid worshed jeans we had back in the 80's.....

"Hell man, chicks in New York pay top dollar to have them jeans look old and used like that...":):

BTW You have got a pretty cool package waiting for you at the shop....I will be in until at least bored-thirty tomorrow....If you are heading to the Louisville show call me on the cell and I will make sure bored-thirty doesn't arrive until you have gotten here...

See ya Jase

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Good job . I saved a M27 , not as rough as yours , that needs a set of grips like that . Got another set ?

Sorry I do not...I am a bit of a prostitute when it comes to Smith grips and the only person worse than me on them is snapdragon....You do not want to get between her and a set of pearl/ivory/stag grips...It can be brutal!!!!(I saw her shut down a thread once for a set and she is the only person I know of, other than me, that will buy a set of grips and then worry about finding the gun later....):):

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Sorry I do not...I am a bit of a prostitute when it comes to Smith grips and the only person worse than me on them is snapdragon....You do not want to get between her and a set of pearl/ivory/stag grips...It can be brutal!!!!(I saw her shut down a thread once for a set and she is the only person I know of, other than me, that will buy a set of grips and then worry about finding the gun later....):):

:D

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Great job bringing it back but I have to ask, how did that weapon get in that God-forsaken condition to begin with?

Stubz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    Alexandria, IN
    :yesway: Quite the amazing rehab you did OP! Dig the motley brown appearance and looks superb with those stag grips.

Great job bringing it back but I have to ask, how did that weapon get in that God-forsaken condition to begin with?

From the OP:
    Me being a hunter told him that it looked like someone had laid it in a gut pile and forgot it for a couple of days...He being a former cop told me it was a suicide gun, confirmed there was blood soaked in the grips...Said it looks like it sat in an evidence bag for a couple of weeks

Salts do horrible things to metal :(

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I have no proof but I believe the original owner may have made a hasty retreat from Earth via a .44 caliber bullet to the head...Or perhaps the weapon was left overnight in a gut pile after cleaning a deer....I like the deer story better but it may have been retrieved by the family after the case was closed...When I got it ithe pits had been filled with bondo sometime wwwwaaayyy back and a very poorly done home style duracoat....

I just couldn't bear to see the weapon die basically so I saved her as best as I could for a knockabout gun...In the past two weeks we have become very close and I try to see the beauty inside rather than the scars on the outside....

She is the ugly Khardashian of my wheelgun collection but I make her go bang more than any of the others....

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    :yesway: Quite the amazing rehab you did OP! Dig the motley brown appearance and looks superb with those stag grips.

From the OP:

Salts do horrible things to metal :(

I made it to "bondo" in the 3rd paragraph and skipped on down at that point. Good thing there's not a test on this stuff.

Top Bottom