• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I've been looking to get a gun for my boys (age 6 and 9) to start shooting with. Had them use one of my .22's, and it was just too long for them. Took them to a couple of stores, and had them try out a few, but all of the .22's were just too long/heavy for them the be able to handle.

Found a single shot .410 Rossi Tuffy shotgun, and the boys loved it. Perfect length, lightweight, and they thought it looked cool.
    Rossi USA=

Very easy to remove the barrel, and looks like they sell the same one in a combo set with a .17 hmr barrel.
    Rossi USA=

I shot the .410 last night, and am worried its going to be too much kick for them, but will try them with it soon. If it is too much, a .17 should be a lot better. Anyone know if these will inter-change, and if so, where to find a barrel? I'll give Rossi a call later (couldn't find a link to e-mail them), but figured I'd ask around first.

Thanks for any help!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Keep in mind the lighter the gun the harder the kick. I had the .410/.22 combo and I didn't care for it at all. I would sugest finding a bolt action tube feed .22 and a singal shot 20a gage with a heavy barrel.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    yeah, i realize that. just couldn't find any .22's that fit them well. even the youth models were too long/heavy for them to properly hold. the kick wasn't too bad to me, but i think my oldest only weighs 50 some pounds, so its going to feel like a lot more to him :) i'm going to try to find a recoil pad that will slip over the end, and watch them very closely when they shoot to make sure they keep it tucked to their shoulder well, but a .22 or .17 would be a lot more managable.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I would suggest getting some of the Federal 410 Handgun that are only rated 850 fps versus the 1200 to 1400 fps.

didn't know they had that, as what I bought yesterday was target and 1200 i think. i'll definitely do that, thanks!

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    Walmart stocks it and so far is the cheapest place I have been able to find. Since the creation of the Tarus Judge they have come out with a broder range of 410 rounds.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    just saw your thread where you sold yours. too bad i missed that, i paid $170 for this one, and i live probably 45 minutes from you. oh well, that's why I try not to do impluse buys, but its another gun, so its not bad :)

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    I bought a 17/410 rossi combo for my kids several years ago and thought the 410 had to much kick as well . I bought a different butt pad for it from Rossi I think . It made a big difference in the felt recoil . The factory pad was pretty hard and narrow as I recall .
    You may want to try a different one before the kids shoot . I always try to make their shooting experience as pain free possible . It makes a huge difference in how well they shoot .

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    I bought a 17/410 rossi combo for my kids several years ago and thought the 410 had to much kick as well . I bought a different butt pad for it from Rossi I think . It made a big difference in the felt recoil . The factory pad was pretty hard and narrow as I recall .
    You may want to try a different one before the kids shoot . I always try to make their shooting experience as pain free possible . It makes a huge difference in how well they shoot .

i was going to look for a recoil pad for it. my oldest boy has never shot before, and my middle just shot my .22 a few times last weekend. my biggest concern is that if it hurts, they won't like it and it will turn them off from it, so going to do everything i can to make it as comfortable as possible. going to look for the handgun loads, a recoil pad, and maybe have them wear their coats, or at least a sweatshirt with maybe a towel behind it. then i'll just make sure they hold it really tight to their shoulder, and see what happens.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    just got off the phone with customer support, and they do not offer the seperate barrels, so i ordered a recoil pad and will see how much that helps.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    well my boys really wanted to shoot last night, and I hadn't been able to get a recoil pad or find some lower power ammo yet. Doubled up a hand towel and put it between the stock and their shoulder, and made sure they held it really tight to their shoulder. Both shot it and loved it. They were surprised by the kick, but said it wasn't that bad and they wanted to shoot again. Only problem was I didn't notice my 6 year old used two fingers on the trigger, so he ended up pinching his fingers, and said that hurt more than the kick.

Still going to get a pad for it, and try to find the different ammo, but all in all, a great success :)

Colinb913

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    Newburgh
    Just take the pad off the back of the stock.. if its anything like mine was the inside of the stock is hollow. Fill a few small bags with lead shot and shove them in there. Add some weight and they'll be good to go.

cj7jeep81

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    Just take the pad off the back of the stock.. if its anything like mine was the inside of the stock is hollow. Fill a few small bags with lead shot and shove them in there. Add some weight and they'll be good to go.

right now, there is no pad at all on the gun. However, there are 4 pockets to put shells in, so I could always try filling those.

Top Bottom