• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I recently posted a question on what would be the best self defense ammo for my S&W M&P .45. Today I stopped at Fort Liberty guns in Avon and picked up a box of 25 Remington Ultimate Home Defense 230 Gr. BJHP. They were $22.99, $24.70 after tax. That seemed kind of high, but I am used to buying 9MM ammo. I then took them out for a test drive. I used 1 Gallon milk jugs filled with water and a couple of 2 litre Pepsi bottles full of water. At 15 yards they hit where I aimed and Totally destroyed the jugs and 2 litres. I was shocked at how the jugs exploded. I shot a couple of jugs with Speer 230 Gr. FMJ and they pretty much just put a small hole through the 2 litre bottles. All in all I was very happy with the performance Of the Remington HD's, but not crazy about the price. Is this a decent price for the Remington HD's ??

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    It seems high for SD ammo in general but I have never bought that brand so I can't speak to it's price. I like Federal's HST ammo for the .45 myself. The last batch I bought was $28/50

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    IME, there is no "good" place to buy SD ammo locally. Most every time I see it locally it's priced over the moon. The 1500 has been lucrative for me lately, followed closely by ordering online. That said, I've scored some good SD ammo on clearance a few times at local shops, but it's hit and miss on availability.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I buy 99% of my guns from Plainfield Shooting Supply, and have for the last 10 years, before that I went to Bradis, but it seems like Bradis Gun prices are higher than they used to be back then. I just never really bought ammo from either place. I got away from handguns for several years , and got into hunting guns and Mathews bows, but I have got the hand gun bug again , and it seems like I have forgotten alot of what I knew about them. But I am regaining the knowledge back from the good people of INGO.

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    It seems high for SD ammo in general but I have never bought that brand so I can't speak to it's price. I like Federal's HST ammo for the .45 myself. The last batch I bought was $28/50
    That's about the going price for this type ammo.Hornady Critical Defense Ammo is about the same price for 20rds.:twocents:

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    I stopped in at Bradis yesterday and was surprized by their limited selection of defense ammo in .45. I ended up buying a box of the only type they had (20 rds Hornaday TAP for approx $24 iirc), since I hadn't shot this kind and wanted to see how my gun liked it anyway. I usually shoot HST's and previously used Hydrashocks but those were in .40, I'm new to the .45 caliber and still figuring out what I/the gun likes. In general, I order online for my defense rounds and bulk buys of target ammo as well. I used LuckyGunner last week, ordered 1000 of 5.56 and had it the next day, pretty awesome.

On a completely different note, as I was being handed the box of ammo at Bradis, the associate opened it to inspect (and show me) this brand since I wasn't familiar with it. Upon opening the box labeled .45 it was actually filled with 9mm. Luckily he caught it because I would've been 1.5 hrs away when I opened it at home (and I don't shoot anything in 9mm). Either way, he grabbed another box off the shelf and it was correct. Not sure what happened there, I think he was as surprized as I was. When I left he was going thru the stack checking all the boxes. I guess this is a reminder to at least look at your ammo before you walk out the door.

Last edited:

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    I guess this is a reminder to at least look at your ammo before you walk out the door.

I've started doing this, I haven't gotten bit, but if you walk out the door, you're stuck with whatever is in that box. I usually inform the person behind the counter what I'm doing, while at the register so nobody has a fit. Some shops don't like customers opening boxes of ammo.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    That price seems about right. PD ammo is usually high. I use 230 gr. Hornady TAP in my Kimber and it seems to like it. I use 180gr. Hydra-Shok in my 40 S&W and 124 gr. Golden Saber in my 9mm.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    I hate to say this but just because it worked well on jugs of water doesn't make it the best choice. I recently read a book by Jim Cirillo that has made me rethink my ammo choices depending on the weather (the amount of clothes worn) While I don't agree witheverything he wrote it's hard to argue with real world expirience

Top Bottom