Bought my first glock, shot it, liked it, now what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • john0286

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I picked up G23 Gen 4 last week and I have now put 200 rounds through it. It shoots well, seems reliable, and I'm somewhat accurate with it. I have not tried using the different backstraps yet. It's a little more snappy than I expected and will take just a little more getting used to.

One of the reasons I was excited to buy a Glock was that there are so many options to customize and accessorize it. So does anyone want to suggest any must have accessories or custom/aftermarket pieces or parts that will make my Glock even better or more accurate? Or websites where you like to buy Glock accessories?

Thanks, John

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    Its snappy because its a 40. Youll get used to it. As far as upgrades/mods.... I put a 3.5 pound trigger bar and firing pin spring in mine. My pull was at 3.7 pounds the last time i checked it. I also put an extended slide release and magazine release on mine. Oh...and a grip plug. Are all these necessary? No not at all. But i like what ive done to mine and it runs the way i like it.

One thing i didnt mention but you WILL want to get is a set of night sights. They are much better then the stock sights that are one it. They'd help with accuracy a bit in the day. For me, im going to put XS sights on mine.

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    My first glock was a 21. I went all out buying stuff. Bought a tungsten guide rod and recoil spring, butt plug, night sights, holsters, 3.5 connector. I'd never buy a new recoil rod again. No problems with it, it's a fine rod. But the factory rods in my other glocks are every bit as fine.

My suggestion after 8 years or so of glock ownership is this list:
    Since it's a compact, you have the serated trigger. I'd replace that with smooth. The serrated bothered my finger on long range days. Not sure if there's a Gen4 compatibility problem or not. But if the trigger bar assembly is the same as previous gens you can swap that out for not much money.

The 3.5 connector? I'd skip. Do the .25 trigger job and shoot and dryfire till your hand goes numb and you're good to go. I don't notice a big difference with the new connector.

Magazines. This is a great place to spend money. You can't have too many. When you find them in the high teens, low 20's....buy a lot. Who know's when they'll be going for $30 plus again.

If you don't have one, and plan to shoot a lot I'd get an Uplula Mag loader. Makes loading your mags a breeze. Some don't "get it" but those of us that do, swear by it. If mine broke, and the going price was $100 for a new one I'd buy it. Luckily they're only like $25. But easily worth $100 to me. :D

Night sights, or just upgraded sights if you don't care about the glow. I use Trijicon, but lots of good sights out there.

And ammo. Piles and piles of ammo.

That's MY list. Everyone likes different stuff. Not sure if Gen4 still has the grip opening, but If so I like a plug. and I prefer the flush fitting. It's purely cosmetic. I like the way it looks. I don't try to convince myself that it helps the gun in any way. :D

Oh, and get a disassembly tool, or a 3/32 punch from home depot and learn to detail strip your gun. If you're not at all mechanically comfortable....skip this. It's rarely a necessity. But if you can change a door knob, or replace an electrical socket...you can very likely handle the detail strip. That way you can install your own stuff. And it feels good knowing that you know where everything goes and that you can do just about any repair yourself. There's some great videos on youtube that show what to do. Work in a clean area, not carpeted so you're less likely to lose a tiny piece.

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Other than sights, you don't "need" to do anything to it. All of that stuff is out there to make money, not improve the gun. Give yourself some time and a lot of rounds through it before you decide to do anything. After many thousands of rounds and many classes and tons of hours of dry practice with mine, I added an RMR and a 3.5 connecter. I got the connecter because the RMR gives you the ability to hit so much farther out that trigger manipulation becomes even more important.(If thats possible). This is coming from a guy who has a bad case of modifyitis.:):

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    My model 22 has over 10,000- 12,000 rounds threw it and never changed any thing. It has night sights on it that need to be changed ,they are getting dim(old). And yes, more mags is nice. so like cedartop said shoot it alot and get the feel of it before you change something that didn't need changed. Great guns and good luck.

Last edited:

Osobuco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    Other than sights, you don't "need" to do anything to it. All of that stuff is out there to make money, not improve the gun. Give yourself some time and a lot of rounds through it before you decide to do anything.

AMEN to that!

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    Other than sights, you don't "need" to do anything to it. All of that stuff is out there to make money, not improve the gun. Give yourself some time and a lot of rounds through it before you decide to do anything. After many thousands of rounds and many classes and tons of hours of dry practice with mine, I added an RMR and a 3.5 connecter. I got the connecter because the RMR gives you the ability to hit so much farther out that trigger manipulation becomes even more important.(If thats possible). This is coming from a guy who has a bad case of modifyitis.:):

Yep. You'll notice most of mine was stuff to use with the gun...not changes.
    The trigger I don't even count. It's a stock glock part you're switching in, and that serrated trigger is a crap gimmick for the BATF. Glock would ship them all with smooth triggers if they could.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Get rid of it before it explodes
    But seriously, put a few hunderd (at least) more rounds through it before you decide to change anything.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    If it fits your hand and you like it, I'd suggest a case of ammo, a few mags and a good holster. Once the case of ammo is gone, you can really decide if you like it the way it is or not.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All of my Glocks are the way they came out of the box. The only times I really see Glocks malfunction is when people start messing with them. My :twocents:. Other than aftermarket sights or a grip plug I do not see any neccessary things to add to it or swap out. Congrats on your purchase! Great gun :yesway:

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    Glock is using MIM extractors in their gen 3 and 4's these days just fyi, you could replace it with an older non-mim oem extractor, or a lone wolf one. They're cheap and it wouldnt hurt to have the extra part "just in case".

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Get a set of steel sights on it...either night sights or regular white dots. After a few thousand draws the plastic ones start to "wear". I've got a Glock 19 that I put the tungsten guide rod, plug, 3.5 connector and a "NY-1" trigger spring in. That was a few years ago. For my newest, Gen 3 Glock 17 w/factory night sights, I'm leaving it all stock. If you buy a 9mm barrel for it, you will have a few FTE...the extractors for the 9's and .40's are a bit different. My Glock 23 with a Lone Wolf barrel, suffers a few every range session, but I don't carry it with the 9mm barrel in it anyways.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    definately not a need but mine came with the glock rail flashlight and I like it for at home. Could be something you want later.

Top Bottom