• ...and so much more!
  • jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    It's official, my lifetime permit finally showed up yesterday!!! :rockwoot:

Funny, I never thought I'd be this excited about a "pink slip".

Warning!!! I'll be posting questions pretty soon asking for your opinions and expertise on what kind of handgun I want to conceal (I'm thinking a revolver). I'll be ready to buy in about a month (bye bye bonus). :draw:

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I mailed it in beginning of Nov. Was told a couple of weeks ago that the MO was cashed Nov 20th but I wasn't "in the system yet".

Proud to be a sheepdogger! :patriot:

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Congrats!

Have you taken or have you thought about taking a training class? The instructor will usually have several things you can pick from to try out.

Also I have a "booklet" of sorts that I give to my students about choosing a handgun and Indiana handgun laws... if you're interested I can e-mail you a copy.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Congrats!

Have you taken or have you thought about taking a training class? The instructor will usually have several things you can pick from to try out.

Also I have a "booklet" of sorts that I give to my students about choosing a handgun and Indiana handgun laws... if you're interested I can e-mail you a copy.

I haven't taken an official training class, but my hubby was a sharpshooter in the army and his dad is a master gunsmith... they've both taught me a lot and have let me handle and shoot some of their handguns. Also been to the range in Brazil a few times and the owner (also an instructor) was kind enough to give me some guidance when he saw I had a deathgrip on the weapon (I was new to shooting at the time).

Also been to Atterbury several times and plan to go more when the weather improves (it's close to where we live). At this point would lessons benefit? Or would practice be my best bet? I'm pretty comfortable with my shotguns and muzzleloaders, but since I've never actually owned a handgun I'm willing to admit that I don't know what I don't know.

A copy of your booklet would be fantastic! I would love to get some insight on handguns as well as read up on the gun laws.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    JB, make copies before you sign and cut.

If your coming through the Kokomo area I'll laminate them for you for free.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I haven't taken an official training class, but my hubby was a sharpshooter in the army and his dad is a master gunsmith... they've both taught me a lot and have let me handle and shoot some of their handguns. Also been to the range in Brazil a few times and the owner (also an instructor) was kind enough to give me some guidance when he saw I had a deathgrip on the weapon (I was new to shooting at the time).

Sounds like another candidate for Friday night steel!

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    At this point would lessons benefit? Or would practice be my best bet?

At this point, without any formal training under your belt, I would say a great big yes. You will learn a lot from some basic instruction.

The issue with just heading to the range and "practicing" on your own is that if you already have any bad habits, they will be ingrained that much deeper, and take that much longer to correct.

Tinman....

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    Ok, be patient with me cause I feel kinda awkward asking this... but is working with a sharpshooter, a master gunsmith, and an instructor not enough to be considered "basic instruction"? Or maybe the classes teach more than I'm aware of? You're gonna have to convince me, cause honestly, I don't have $400 laying around.

I really do appreciate all the advice... keep it comin!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Perhaps a NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol is not for you since you have been shooting for a while and you seem to have gotten some good basic instruction already... The NRA Basic focuses on safety, operation, and fundamental shooting skills (which will always stay constant).

...however a shooting coach who specializes in handgun marksmanship might be the best type of instruction for you at this point, to help you not form bad habits, and then when you're ready someone to give you "CCW" type training.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Perhaps a NRA First Steps or Basic Pistol is not for you since you have been shooting for a while and you seem to have gotten some good basic instruction already... The NRA Basic focuses on safety, operation, and fundamental shooting skills (which will always stay constant).

...however a shooting coach who specializes in handgun marksmanship might be the best type of instruction for you at this point, to help you not form bad habits, and then when you're ready someone to give you "CCW" type training.

How much, when, and where.

Top Bottom