• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    No, but I've heard you rant about leaving the gun in the holster before. That's all. Maybe it's just a problem in bathrooms?

I keep forgetting this is INGO and reason is an unknown concept.:D

Yes, I would prefer to keep the pistol on me. Reality forbids this. So, I remove the pistols before I go into sensitive areas. No big deal.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I think what people are getting hung up on is whether the pistol is left in the holster and the entire holster is removed from the body. This is usually what I do. However I my in car safe does not allow this. There are some safes that will allow this. Those options would be preferable. Simply remove the holster with gun in it and place the whole rig in the gun box.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Yes. Gun stays in the holster & put into safe with the extra mag. Not too interested in separating the weapon from the holster from a safety stand point. The safe is big enough to put a 1911 in. If soft cases aren't made small enough to fit into the safe as Sir Kirk as suggested then I will need to go outside the box to keep the entire safe warmer, ense the suggested bag idea.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    you're not going to insulate it enough to keep it warm for 8+ hrs in a car when it's subfreezing out.
    best bet is to insulate between you and the cold gun... another layer of clothing... undershirt, etc.
    Or just tuck the shirt in between you and the gun during the commute (OC in the car) while things warm up.

there are 12v warmers, blankets, etc out there, but you'd probably end up w/ a dead battery after your shift.

-rvb

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just throw your ferret in the box.
    He'll keep your gun warm and toasty..........and smelly..........and wet........and fury........

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A lot of the 12 v auto coolers can be switched to warmers. There you go.

Or, get a bun warmer. Change the "b" to a "g" and you have a gun warmer.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Just throw your ferret in the box.
    He'll keep your gun warm and toasty..........and smelly..........and wet........and fury........

I have a cat running around my house that I don't really need. Belongs to the kids but I am sure they won't miss it.

BADWOLF

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 24, 2015
    Small Town USA
    9v. Operated heated sock. Slide the gun in put in a 9v battery and place it in your lock box. I would get the socks that have multiple heat settings and put it on low since its going to be in a small space that doesn't require a lot of heat to maintain temp. And its reusable.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    9v. Operated heated sock. Slide the gun in put in a 9v battery and place it in your lock box. I would get the socks that have multiple heat settings and put it on low since its going to be in a small space that doesn't require a lot of heat to maintain temp. And its reusable.

Seriously? I've never heard of such a thing.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

I forgot about those.
    Hey, they work great. When I'm working outside and it's really cold, I use three. :n00b:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Why not OWB in the winter and wear a long jacket? That way nothing cold is that close to your skin. Just a thought!

Was my thought also, assuming that the OP wears a coat during the winter just put your holster on with your shirt tucked behind it and let your coat conceal it for you, problem solved! Bonus you don't burn up your car or run down the battery!!

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    Trav43 & wtfd661, I have to remove my weapon to go into my work place because I'm not allowed to carry. The only holster I have happens to be a IWB model which forces me to carry inside my belt when I return. Granted, yes I could OC, with a holster purchase, which is an option I hadn't considered. I like how the weapon sits close to my side when I am CCing, so, I'm doubting there is an OC holster that will duplicate that. My understanding is that an OC holster will tend to push the grip out from the body, something, I'm not keen on doing now.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville

That has potential if they do have a low setting. Almost no room inside the lock box. Hopefully wouldn't get too hot.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I use the "wear a T shirt" option, personally, but I like the ideas here. Was thinking of using a rechargeable 9v, if one is made, Probably a higher cash outlay initially, but no continuing purchases of hand warmers.

http://www.amazon.com/EnergyFlux-En...5676&sr=8-3&keywords=rechargable+hand+warmers

Get a rechargeable handwarmer. The one linked will last 7 hours on low setting. Insulate the lock box or cover it with a blanket to maximize the heat. Just recharge the hand warmer when you get home every night.

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    Get a tuckable IWB holster....Alien Gear for like, $40-ish.
    My shirt is required to be tucked in at work, so, when I get back out to the vehicle, I leave it where it is stored, as it is easily accessible at that specific spot.

Top Bottom