• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I just got my reloading press and most of the goodies that go with it. I am new at this so please bear with me for another dumb question. I have some dies ordered for it. It's a lee breech lock challenger press. A buddy of mine has some dies he said I can borrow but their various different brands. Rcbs is one I know of. My question is will the dies interchange with other brand of equipment such as my lee press or are they brand specific?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    The standard die is 7/8-14 thread and most you would buy now would fit. As with everything there are exceptions, the Dillon "Square Deal B" for example uses a special size. I am sure there are a few others but most will be 7/8-14. Jim.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Good info so far. Yea, 95% of all dies are 7/8 X 14. The only others that I have seen are the Dillon Square Deal+older Lyman 'Ideal' dies, that were used mostly in a 'Hand Type" press.

What you WILL find is that some different Mfgs. do a different operation at different stages of the process. For example, some dies will resize+decap in the same die/operation, while some will resize only+decap+bell the case mouth in the second die/operation. Some dies will seat+crimp in the same die/operation, while some Mfgs. will seat with one die+crimp in the next die/operation.

For the new reloader especially, it is BEST to stay with the same Mfg. of dies from the start to the finish..Bill.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    Thanks again. I thought all with 7/8x14 thread will work but wasn't sure. The dies I have ordered are lee dies as well as the press is. I figured their could be some different procedures with other brand dies. This is a work in progress so it may be a while before I get going but I thing I'm getting there. Thanks again

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    Read a manual or two before anyting else — questions like this are answered in all of them. Get "ABC's of Reloading" — get an old copy from Amazon. Learn first, then start to reload. Lee has videos for adjusting the dies.

Gdpudge

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2013
    West central
    I have a lee reloaders manual on its way too. I'm sure that will answer a bunch of questions too but I still value the opinion of experienced answers. Thanks too

Top Bottom