• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    My local Gander Mountain is closing and I decided to go ahead and purchase a Bushmaster AR-15 that was (for the first time in Ganders history) a good deal. I took it home and every time I buy a new gun the first thing I do is disassemble, clean, and function check it. I know some factory test firing goes on, but on starting to clean the thing it seems like 200 rounds have been through it. Is that normal for Browning? It was sold as a new firearm but I'm amazed Browning would ship something this filthy.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wonder if an employee took it out for a spin at some point.

Or someone played with it at the distributor level.

I went to pick up a Ruger Redhawk at BGF once. They just got it in in the morning and I was there pretty quickly. When I opened the box the gun was covered in soot and the rear sight assembly was broken in half. Obviously someone had been playing with it, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone at BGF as this was after their range was closed.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I could see someone "borrowing" it somewhere in the supply chain. Sad thing is if that is true, they didn't sell a new rifle. I have this debate when buying firearms off individuals. They will say it's like-new, only 50 rounds fired. Well, it's used and in good shape....but still used. Like new in box to me is not fired besides test rounds by the manufacturer.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    You sure its not just the grease/oil crap the manufacture uses to ship guns in? I just bought a Bushmaster (also in Ft Wayne Gander), and while its got the nasty grease/oil crap, it doesn't look shot at all. Which model?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I could see someone "borrowing" it somewhere in the supply chain. Sad thing is if that is true, they didn't sell a new rifle. I have this debate when buying firearms off individuals. They will say it's like-new, only 50 rounds fired. Well, it's used and in good shape....but still used. Like new in box to me is not fired besides test rounds by the manufacturer.

Cars boats bikes and yes......Guns. Once you pay for them and walk out the door they are used.

Period.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Did you check the gas tube? If it needs to be cleaned . . .

More seriously, a couple new handguns have needed significant cleaning before putting any rounds through them. There was a lot of machine oil (heavier than gun oil) in them along with other Crudmium. Is it possible it had been sitting out on display for a while gathering dust?

John

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    Cars boats bikes and yes......Guns. Once you pay for them and walk out the door they are used.

Period.

Cars, boats and bikes I agree with. Weapons aren't normally ridden away from a purchase.

Actually, weapons typically raise in value over time.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Cars, boats and bikes I agree with. Weapons aren't normally ridden away from a purchase.

I agree. Weapons aren't used once they go out the door. However, the idea guns only increase in value is often misunderstood. I have dealt with many people that claim this after they buy a cheap firearm and shoot 50-100 rounds. I have had people demand $50 above what they bought it. Collector and high end firearms can increase in value over 6mo to a year. Normal guns do not. They require inflation and other influences to gain value. Point of the story is: a firearm, that is offered new at the time, has multiple rounds fired other than the manufacturer is a used item. Therefor worth less. Just my opinion and not worth much bc I'm just a beginner collector/enthusiast

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

OK.....only very very long periods of time and then only certain weapons. The guns commonly traded in here (not the ultra cool collectibles) do not increase in value outside of a false market bubble like "O" put on the AR market. That bubble burst the day DJT laid his hand on the bible.

Once you own a gun it is a used gun. Period. Only new once. As new, OK. New, only once.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    OK.....only very very long periods of time and then only certain weapons. The guns commonly traded in here (not the ultra cool collectibles) do not increase in value outside of a false market bubble like "O" put on the AR market. That bubble burst the day DJT laid his hand on the bible.

Once you own a gun it is a used gun. Period. Only new once. As new, OK. New, only once.

Actually... If you keep any thing long enough, it will gain value.

Ask my wife.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Some guns will have more rounds through them at the factory. Maybe they normally do 10 rounds, but it jammed several times so went back for a tweak or part swap. When back to test fire stage more jams. Back again, at test fire stage this time there is a note "please test with 3 full mags for reliable function".

As soon as a gun leaves the shop its used. At that point there is no way to know how many rounds through it, may or may not have been modified, incorrectly dissasembled/reassembled etc.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    You sure its not just the grease/oil crap the manufacture uses to ship guns in? I just bought a Bushmaster (also in Ft Wayne Gander), and while its got the nasty grease/oil crap, it doesn't look shot at all. Which model?

No, that was there but there was also a decent amount of powder residue. Not really worried about it, I dropped about 200 rounds through it earlier today and so far so good. It's nothing fancy, just an xm15-e2s but I walked it out for $510 including tax.

kscessnadriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 1, 2017
    Albion
    No, that was there but there was also a decent amount of powder residue. Not really worried about it, I dropped about 200 rounds through it earlier today and so far so good. It's nothing fancy, just an xm15-e2s but I walked it out for $510 including tax.

Nice. I picked up the 20 inch Predator with a fixed A2 stock. Hard to pass up at 25% and then the $150 rebate.

mgdiaz1993

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 14, 2015
    Fort Wayne
    I've come across some pretty dirty "new" guns before too. I kind of assumed that it was from factory testing, but I once looked at some off brand 1911 that had a visible layer of carbon build up on the chamber.

Side bar, I definitely agree that firearms are considered used as soon as bought. Like at least a 10% decrease in value. Additions to customize the firearm don't add their complete value either., in most cases I base it at 50% I.E. selling your 500 dollar gun with a 100 dollar light after you bought it = $500 used. Why go meet up with someone and buy a gun that I don't know the history of when I could get it brand new at a store for $25 more?

Top Bottom