• ...and so much more!
  • mima07

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2012
    central Indiana
    Oregonshooting/selfdefense?

According to police the BG has been 'neutralized', no details.
    A heartbreaking situation for many with loved ones who have been killed and injured. There's simply no words to explain something like this when someone you love is gone.
    This has made me wonder again what I would do in a very public area such as a shopping mall. I CC whenever it's legal and practice at the range as much as possible. At home, self defense seems 'easy' since I am comfortable with my surroundings and using a firearm for home protection of my family, etc. But I am no sharpshooter and know it takes years? of practice.
    So in a public place using a firearm for self defense carries an enormous responsibilty and consequences. I have often wondered what I would do in such a situation. Of course it all depends upon so many variables. In the end would it be a flight or fight response and how to know when or which one?
    INGunners, what say you? How would you react in a public shooting as it went down - if you thought you had a clear shot on the BG would you be willing, able to hit the mark?

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    The answer is 'Yes', depending. I was in such a senario once and I got the drop , BG froze and 'quit' before I pulled the trigger. The slack was gone as he dropped him weapon. Not sure how a jury would have reacted if I'd have continued the pull when the threat ceased at that point. I let him run away. Nobody was injured. PD said "good Job" and that was it.

Make no mistake though, if he'd even twitched at that point, I'd have shot.

charles.wolff

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    This may explain a lot...
    Right off of RTV6 web site

PORTLAND, Ore. - Police say three people are dead, including the gunman, after a shooting at a shooting mall in the Portland, Ore., area.

RTV6 - Reports of gunfire at mall near Portland, Ore. - US/World Story

They edited it..
    Weapons

catielynnb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    Louisville
    I saw this on Google+ and came here to see what everyone's been saying.

It breaks my heart, so near the holidays ... :/ Those families.

What I want to know, much like *every other shooting*, is the 'WHAT WAS THE SHOOTER THINKING?!' ... and I know I'll never hear it.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Sounds like subject was wearing a "Jason" type mask and was running through the Macy's & Food Court area shooting. Question I have is if his gun jammed like they said he must have had a second weapon to kill himself like reported. Thoughts & prayers go out to all those involved and I wont even get started in the BS of businesses not allowing guns.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I wonder what the anti-gun people would say if the attacker was shot by a patron concealing their gun and ignoring the no gun signs at the door....Something tells me that person wouldn't be a hero in their minds. I just don't understand this? Thoughts and prayers to those victims.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I wonder what the anti-gun people would say if the attacker was shot by a patron concealing their gun and ignoring the no gun signs at the door....Something tells me that person wouldn't be a hero in their minds. I just don't understand this? Thoughts and prayers to those victims.

From what I found signs carry no weight of law in OR. If you are asked to leave and don't, it is criminal trespassing.

*disclaimer- this is from a 5 min google search.*

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Seems like we need TsA level security screenings at the mall at mall owner expense. Or they can have armed guards every 50 feet. Or Simon can let us prepare to defend ourselves. I wonder which is easier.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clay County
    Seems like we need TsA level security screenings at the mall at mall owner expense. Or they can have armed guards every 50 feet. Or Simon can let us prepare to defend ourselves. I wonder which is easier.

I approached a local mall this summer about upgrading it's current security force to armed after the Auroa shootings. Their reply is that the last thing we want is a shootout in the mall. We feel like overall it's safer for the potential suspect(s) to be armed and the damage be contained to what it is until the police get on scene rather than have a bunch of "John Wayne's" trying to get into a shootout. I shook my head and haven't visited the mall since. Simply unreal.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    I approached a local mall this summer about upgrading it's current security force to armed after the Auroa shootings. Their reply is that the last thing we want is a shootout in the mall. We feel like overall it's safer for the potential suspect(s) to be armed and the damage be contained to what it is until the police get on scene rather than have a bunch of "John Wayne's" trying to get into a shootout. I shook my head and haven't visited the mall since. Simply unreal.

This goes to what I have been saying for months. Sheep are more scared of legally armed citizens than illegally armed criminals.

They believe less people will be killed if they are all defenseless.

Liberty1911

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2012
    This goes to what I have been saying for months. Sheep are more scared of legally armed citizens than illegally armed criminals.

They believe less people will be killed if they are all defenseless.

Yeah, for the life of me, I just don't get that attitude.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The fact that the news says a "clip" was found suggests the shooter used an M1 Garand.

Boggles the mind how he got into the gun-free mall with that thing. Probably had a sign and everything. Maybe he didn't see the sign or know the laws? Especially the one about murder. That's one of the bigger laws.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    The fact that the news says a "clip" was found suggests the shooter used an M1 Garand.

Boggles the mind how he got into the gun-free mall with that thing. Probably had a sign and everything. Maybe he didn't see the sign or know the laws? Especially the one about murder. That's one of the bigger laws.

The hockey mask was the kicker for me. Many of your larger malls have rules against covering your face... He would have been asked to leave by an overweight underpaid unarmed security guard before he made it to SEARS.

Top Bottom