• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    Has anyone tried to use the new style "Smart-Fill" B&S gas cans? Not sure why they changed but I spilled plenty of gas with the new fangled design. :xmad:

OZZY.40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Camby
    Yeah, I checked those out the other day and was not impressed. May have to go back to using a funnel.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I got so honked off I threw all my plastic cans away and have went to the metal cans, and a funnel, they have again saftied us into an impossible corner,

the safety nazi's need to be stopped, they have overstepped good sense

nomadicmutt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 9, 2012
    UGH I wish I knew where the black market for gas cans was. I'd totally be hoarding all of the old ones. I hate hate HATE the stupid safety cap ones.

"hold this lever to the side. now push the spout in while holding the tiny tab with your other hand. Support the weight of all 5 gallons with those two fingers. Oops. you just accidentally pushed the lever too far. start over."

UGH.

Joq867

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Brooksville
    If your not smart enough to safely operate a gas can, it's not the gas cans fault. Give us back our good old fashioned simple to use gas cans.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The Briggs smart cans suck, I'm forced to sell them at work...

The ones I have are the Biltz ones with the plastic squeeze lever that you have to move aside a catch to dispense, but since it's spring loaded, the instant you see the fuel reach the top you let your thumb slip off and the valve snaps shut, the fuel flow stops and the can is sealed... pretty slick. I hated them at first too.

The Briggs "Smart" cans are just a bad design.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    All these new smart fill and safety cans are the result of a "I F+++++ up "lawsuit society. Too stupid to use a simple gas can a spilled gas all over a hot engine and ignited. Someone has to pay, sue the gas can manufacture because of a "so called" design flaw.

I have four 5 gallon gas cans, 1 of the new styles with the air nozzle built into the fill tube, 1 of the old blue kerosene and 1 red plastic gas can with the plastic air cap in the back and one of the new nozzle caps and a old military 5 gallon can.

When I fill my mower I fill it 5 gallons at a time because it has a 6.5 gallon tank, I never use the one with the new nozzle, fortunately it is the same style can as the one with air nozzle built into the fill tube, I just swap them over and then use it.

With my military 5 gallon can, I hate the old metal flex fill tube, I just use a big modified funnel drop 5 gallons in it in about 60 seconds.

Would be nice to have a Nascar style fill tank.:D

If we don't watch it, lawsuits and environmental freaks will make us resort to using the same thing that IRL uses, fill nozzle that attaches to the device and prevents leakage along with those harmful fumes released into the atmosphere. :xmad:

Sometimes I wish I lived in a much simpler conservative time.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    The Briggs smart cans suck, I'm forced to sell them at work...

The ones I have are the Biltz ones with the plastic squeeze lever that you have to move aside a catch to dispense, but since it's spring loaded, the instant you see the fuel reach the top you let your thumb slip off and the valve snaps shut, the fuel flow stops and the can is sealed... pretty slick. I hated them at first too.

The Briggs "Smart" cans are just a bad design.
    Blitz, that is what I meant

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I just was looking at my Dad's. Never had to read the instructions on a gas can before.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have two new gas cans that have the new safety fill spouts, they are poorly designd, twist this, press that while pulling that and then the gas comes out three sides at the same time, spilling and spashing all over, especially small engines with small filler openings. It should not require two people working together to use a gas can.

If you have a plastic gas can that needs a replacement spout, Rural King has a replacement kit that is the old fashioned style that actually works for filling lawn mowers and the small tanks on weed eaters and leaf blowers. I highly recommend this product.

Blackdog765

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012
    Thanks for the OP and the links to alternate containers. The whole environmental whacko's thing wears me out. I thought it was pretty funny that the one containers specifically said it was illegal for use in California.

Must be the law makers don't ever have to actually use the products that they make the laws for... Just like healthcare. I challenge any politician to try to use one of these gas cans on one of the lawn mowers that their lawn services use. Impossible.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Blackdog765;430975 Must be the law makers don't ever have to actually use the products that they make the laws for... Just like healthcare. I challenge any politician to try to use one of these gas cans on one of the lawn mowers that their lawn services use. Impossible.[/QUOTE said:
    It appears that while we were at work, paying taxes or in the military serving our country, the idiots took over the world........

Tom Threetoes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Southwestern IN
    If you live close to a Rural King farm store they sell a replacement fill spout kit for most safety cans. For venting I drilled a hole and pulled a tubeless tire valve stem in it for a vent.

Top Bottom