British shocked at NHS hospital death rates. Among world's worst, inferior to US

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cardio1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South of Paradise
    Google (well, Startpage actually) is still your friend. Just one of many, incidentally from the same sources used to refute the point. See here: Keogh review into 14 NHS hospitals did not find disaster on scale of Mid Staffs | Society | theguardian.com
    Presented are some very credible reasons, both to be vigilant and to be skeptical. We are too quick to hop on the train to blame a system rather than ensuring that the data is apples to apples, and that it's not being misinterpreted (and not necessarily with any agenda, statistics once again are tricky and malleable.) Our system is broken, their's may be damaged, both are fixable and neither alone are the answer.

Also, it isn't raw data. It has been reduced and analyzed and had recommendations made based on its veracity. The raw data needs to be looked at through other filters, it is amazingly easy to unintentionally skew data in any of the steps and bears further scrutiny.

Just like our "global warming" debates. the initial knee jerk to the statistical models didn't grab all of us up. When we questioned it aloud we were shouted down. Just now are other scientists looking at arguments that we presented a decade ago that influence the interpretation of the data, in ways that are yielding results that do not support the forgone theoretical conclusion of man-made climate change.

I don't believe the OP was "on the train to blame a system". The OP was pointing out the current state of health care in England which has had 60 years to get single payor socialized medicine "right". We can look down the road and see where we in the USA will be.
    The source(s) don't matter. The truth is the NHS has a real problem with excess mortality based on the Keogh review which was ordered and performed at the behest of Parliament (like our OIG).
    In addition to mortality, imagine the thousands of patients waiting in an ambulance in the parkiing lot of the ER for hours and hours because the ER won't let the ambulance unload! Now that would be something in your local ER!
    2008 Scandal of patients left for hours outside A&E | Society | The Observer
    2013 Patients facing eight-hour waits in ambulances outside A&E departments - Telegraph

Lots of improvement in 5 years, say whot?

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Nationalized health care is about rationing care and controlling the population, nothing more.

Happy, healthy, wealthy people have no need for government control of anything. Government controls best when people need, want and have little. Then the promises of free stuff work best.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    ... So when independent reviewers say their system is broken, you don't believe it, but when the guy who is responsible for (and would get the blame) says everything is OK, you swallow it hook, line and sinker? Wow, you really convinced me...

As is policy, You sir were convinced of your belief before you read past the headline.

I'm simply asking questions, and finding fewer answers than I'd like. The answers I have found indicate:
    1. This is not raw data,
    2. is not "apples to apples" data,
    3. and has undergone no data validation that I can find.
    I did not say the NHS was perfect. In fact, I stated that "Ours is broken, Theirs may be damaged." The same statistics as presented also show the NHS is getting better, the trend is markedly positive.

Science is about asking questions, many questions, formed differently and repeatedly tested, measured and recorded, before conclusions may be of any certainty. This one study is not a be-all end-all conclusion. A hypothesis must be rigorously validated and supported.

Rhetoric wont change that the refusal to read all of the article(s) content linked by myself and others (not just the parts that support your beliefs), apparent lack of any additional reading(s), and most importantly the absence of understanding of the nature of statistical analysis, sampling, or data collection, preclude any further possibility for useful discussion.

Let me slip into my Super Reagan costume. Perhaps then you may be swayed just enough to try some objectivity. Have fun in that teapot, no hooks lines or sinkers in there at all, and crowded with objectivity...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I once had a cracked molar fixed in Merrie Olde England under NHS. Admittedly this was in the 1980s, so it could be better or worse now.

No anesthesia, and there was a substantial amount of drilling, low speed, to prep the filling.

It was cheap though.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    As is policy, You sir were convinced of your belief before you read past the headline.

I'm simply asking questions, and finding fewer answers than I'd like. The answers I have found indicate:
    1. This is not raw data,
    I did not say the NHS was perfect. In fact, I stated that "Ours is broken, Theirs may be damaged." The same statistics as presented also show the NHS is getting better, the trend is markedly positive.

Science is about asking questions, many questions, formed differently and repeatedly tested, measured and recorded, before conclusions may be of any certainty. This one study is not a be-all end-all conclusion. A hypothesis must be rigorously validated and supported.

Rhetoric wont change that the refusal to read all of the article(s) content linked by myself and others (not just the parts that support your beliefs), apparent lack of any additional reading(s), and most importantly the absence of understanding of the nature of statistical analysis, sampling, or data collection, preclude any further possibility for useful discussion.

Let me slip into my Super Reagan costume. Perhaps then you may be swayed just enough to try some objectivity. Have fun in that teapot, no hooks lines or sinkers in there at all, and crowded with objectivity...

Man, like one of my previous posts states, I know a British doctor very well who when through what amounts to residency in a London hospital. He told me horror stories that I won't repeat here, but suffice it to say if anything he said actually happened in this country, there would be a huge outcry.
    He moved to this country for several reason, most having to do with making money and less taxes. His brother, a cardiothoracic surgeon moved here for the same reason.
    My doctor friend has actually flew family members over here to get treated for things they would have been put on a waiting list to get treated in England.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

1. This is not raw data,

Since I have personal friends over in England who - from experience - tell me their medical care is crap, I'm inclined to believe them, especially since anyone with half a brain can see that "nationalized" health care is just another form of rationing, and it's easy to look back and see how well screwing with the supply of ANY commodity has worked over the long run.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Taking others word for it is kind of the point. Question things. If you wish to rely on empirical observations from individuals experiences differ. Mine appendectomy was fine. Others I know were also fine, from common cold to stage 2 breast cancer. My senior surgical resident significant other, who spent a year in England within the system said it was a tossup. That neither system is perfect, but that she sees the benefits in the NHS system, just not well exercised (that was 10 years ago).

The point, all along, was that the data isn't conclusive. I emphasise questioning authority, whether media, gov't, or a loud majority on INGO.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

Pot, meet kettle.

BIGKAT9

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Valpo.
    It's quite simple to figure out why the UK hospitals have a higher death rate ,in the US if you're sick an don't have insurance you don't go to the hospital

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Taking others word for it is kind of the point. Question things. If you wish to rely on empirical observations from individuals experiences differ. Mine appendectomy was fine. Others I know were also fine, from common cold to stage 2 breast cancer. My senior surgical resident significant other, who spent a year in England within the system said it was a tossup. That neither system is perfect, but that she sees the benefits in the NHS system, just not well exercised (that was 10 years ago).

The point, all along, was that the data isn't conclusive. I emphasise questioning authority, whether media, gov't, or a loud majority on INGO.

Well, if we have a single anecdotal data point, that certainly discredits any systematic study, doesn't it? Go ahead, dig your hole of foolishness a little deeper.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    It's quite simple to figure out why the UK hospitals have a higher death rate ,in the US if you're sick an don't have insurance you don't go to the hospital

That is incorrect. Numerous hospitals, like St. Vincent, treat the poor for free. They are required to treat poor in order to remain a non-profit entity. Plus, if someone is dying or having a baby, they get immediate treatment regardless of their payment status--this is how the freeloading illegal immigrants get healthcare, and the reason our system is broken. You make it sound like America is so bad that people just die in the streets, and that isn't our problem. Our problem is all those people who don't have insurance that cause costs to skyrocket for the rest of us. So we are already paying for the poor to have healthcare here, but in a roundabout way.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    If I dig a hole of foolishness, I'm liable to uncover many of your cronies. Thank you for misunderstanding both empirical and anecdotal evidence. Lean to read objectively.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    If I dig a hole of foolishness, I'm liable to uncover many of your cronies. Thank you for misunderstanding both empirical and anecdotal evidence. Lean to read objectively.

You come here and dismiss the study without a shred of evidence, and when challenged, immediately shift to ad hominem attacks, and have the sheer audacity to accuse everyone else of failing to understand empiricism. You are quite a piece of work. BTW, there should be some type of Godwin's Law for the loons who throw out Reagan's name every time they're losing an argument on the merits.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

One of my sisters-in-law works as an occupational therapist: 9 of 10 of her clients have no medical insurance. Hard for hospitals to keep going when they don't get paid for their services. And you've obviously never been in the Wishard E.R. at 0200 on a Sunday morning if you think when folks who don't have insurance are sick they stay home.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    One of my sisters-in-law works as an occupational therapist: 9 of 10 of her clients have no medical insurance. Hard for hospitals to keep going when they don't get paid for their services. And you've obviously never been in the Wishard E.R. at 0200 on a Sunday morning if you think when folks who don't have insurance are sick they stay home.

Correct, there is no debate on who gets treated, all get treated, the debate has been on who gets to pay for the treatment.

Top Bottom