• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    So, it's a beautiful day out.. sun is shining, comfortable temp.. decided that, since I don't have a bench or anyplace big enough to work on my rifles indoors, I'd take my two old russian girls outside and strip em down...

I came across 2 problems, and one mild disappointment...

First problem, Mosin #1 ('43 Tula generic) Front sight slipped its dovetail and came out.. won't reseat and wiggles... easily comes back out...

Second Problem, Mosin #2 ('43 Izzy ex-sniper) when it was decommissioned as a sniper, it appears that the stock under the bolt/chamber was split. A screw was put through the stock to hold it together, but the split is a little, I really do mean a little, more extensive than that (I'll take pics if you need em) Is it safe to fire in this condition?

and for the disappointment. Finally, after getting them out in the sun and getting a REALLY good look at the bores, I discovered that they're both counter-bored... about an inch.. SHOULD mean they'll shoot better than if they still had their messed up crowns, but it's still a little disappointment.. Both bores are clean and rifling sharp... just counter-bored.

on a side note, a little sun baking of the stocks made a little soaked in cosmoline come out, my hand smell like it.. My wife HATES the smell, but it's really growing on me..

Miller Tyme

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2010
    Whiskey City, Indiana
    So, it's a beautiful day out.. sun is shining, comfortable temp.. decided that, since I don't have a bench or anyplace big enough to work on my rifles indoors, I'd take my two old russian girls outside and strip em down...

I came across 2 problems, and one mild disappointment...

First problem, Mosin #1 ('43 Tula generic) Front sight slipped its dovetail and came out.. won't reseat and wiggles... easily comes back out...

Second Problem, Mosin #2 ('43 Izzy ex-sniper) when it was decommissioned as a sniper, it appears that the stock under the bolt/chamber was split. A screw was put through the stock to hold it together, but the split is a little, I really do mean a little, more extensive than that (I'll take pics if you need em) Is it safe to fire in this condition?

and for the disappointment. Finally, after getting them out in the sun and getting a REALLY good look at the bores, I discovered that they're both counter-bored... about an inch.. SHOULD mean they'll shoot better than if they still had their messed up crowns, but it's still a little disappointment.. Both bores are clean and rifling sharp... just counter-bored.

on a side note, a little sun baking of the stocks made a little soaked in cosmoline come out, my hand smell like it.. My wife HATES the smell, but it's really growing on me..

Just stake the front sight once you figure out where it needs to be, usually there are co-witness marks on the sight and the base put on when the sight was set at the arsenal.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    the mark is there, and when I slide the sight in, it lines up and stops.. It just won't stay there... the only thing I can think to try is to set a screwdriver against it and try a hit with a hammer to see if I can set it again.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    There is nothing wrong with a counter bored Mosin!
    As Miller Tyme says you can stake it on mice you are ready.
    The stock can be replaced. There are several places that sell the furniture for them and its original. That is if you are really worried.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Top Bottom