• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I'm running a batch of .45 Winchester once fired through my new hornady lnl ap press. The problem is about 3 or 4 per hundred the Lee resizing dies is only popping the cup of the primer out and then when I try to seat a new primer it locks up the shell plate. I've never had this problem before with my Lee pro 1000 but I've loaded primarily PMC brass on it and very little Winchester.

Also I am loading more rounds in a session Now than my old Lee press ever did since it was a constant battle to keep primers flowing.

Anyone have any ideas.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    You ate saying that somehow the ANVIL is being left in the casings?

Sort out the casings that show that problem as you go, and toss them.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's a Lee die, loosen the tapered Collet that holds the depriming shaft in the top of the die. Move it down say 1/8 th of a inch. Tighten Collet back up..
    Collet should be TIGHT...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    These things, and others, are why I don't deprime on the press. It's silly and it's slow.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Thirded on the suggestion to see to it that your decapping pin extends down far enough to fully eject the spent primer each time.
    Just don't overdo it, or your decapping rod will run into the bottom of the case.

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    I'm sorry. Bad description. Center and anvil are out it is leaving the sides stuck in the pocket. I keep looking for a pattern but it's all Winchester brass so not much else to sort by. I will try to post a picture of one. I have bought processed brass from profire in small lots in the last that also had this problem.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    corngrower, I've had it happen before. I cant tell you what causes it, your 2 choices with the brass are- 1) use a pick and try to remove the remaining piece of the primer. 2) scrap the brass.
    Sorry I couldn't help more.

parson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    Some Winchester ammo is crimped. I bought some .35 Rem last year, and while I didn't have the problem that you're having with depriming, I had to ream the pockets before I could re-prime them.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    So, I really doubted that the primers could be coming apart leaving the sides still in the pocket. As far as I know, I have never seen this happen. Well guess what happened today? While cleaning up after processing some 223 brass, look what I found lying on the bottom of my press. Now I have to find the offending casings.

This doesn't help the OP, however it does provide some tangible evidence that it can in fact happen.

primers_zpsvy7hta0c.jpg

corngrower

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    That's exactly what's happening i can't seem to get a pic to upload. Keeps saying failed after I click upload file.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    That's exactly what's happening i can't seem to get a pic to upload. Keeps saying failed after I click upload file.

Use photobucket or similar.

It's a new experience for me as well. If you look at where the primer is separating, it almost looks corroded. Like as if the brass had spent some time in water or a wet location.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    That can happen sometimes when two pieces of metal are pressed together under pressure, its sort of a cold weld. It may be possible to remove the remaining primer piece with the careful use of a primer pocket uniforming tool.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    That can happen sometimes when two pieces of metal are pressed together under pressure, its sort of a cold weld. It may be possible to remove the remaining primer piece with the careful use of a primer pocket uniforming tool.

I would argue that primers are not formed by welding the sides to the bottom. They are more likely a pressed cup that is formed from one piece. I would be more likely to just toss the offending case. As far as what causes it, I really don't know.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Been there-Done that...

If you want to take the effort+time, some of these can be saved..

Find a bottoming tap (flat on the bottom) that just fits the primer hole, and thread in the tap. When the tap bottoms out in the web of the case, it will pull the primer "shell" out of the case..

Works for some+not for others..Bill.

OHOIAN

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2014
    NE OHIO
    I would argue that primers are not formed by welding the sides to the bottom. They are more likely a pressed cup that is formed from one piece. I would be more likely to just toss the offending case. As far as what causes it, I really don't know.
    I was referring to the outside of the primer cup and the inside of the primer pocket. These two metal surfaces can become stuck together to the point where the decaping pin will just rip the bottom of the primer cup off.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    I was referring to the outside of the primer cup and the inside of the primer pocket. These two metal surfaces can become stuck together to the point where the decaping pin will just rip the bottom of the primer cup off.

Gotcha.

I think that's pretty much what is happening, at least on the ones I'm seeing. Maybe the OP can weigh in as to whether or not he sees corrosion in the pockets. Mine have obviously wet at some point and corrosion seems to have stuck the primers to the sides of the pockets.

Top Bottom