• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ginger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Spencer Co.
    Shooting my SBR a little while back and the lower broke at the rear takedown pin. People have told me this can be welded, any chance that's true? Also, do you guys think it's just a bad lower or is there a chance being over gassed can cause this?

Rifle:
    MAG Tactical lower
    Jp Captured spring
    WMD NIBX BCG
    10.5" 300blk barrel
    Pistol length gas system
    Noveske KX3

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes, it can be welded.

BUT!!!

1. It's a magnesium alloy. This means it's going to narrow the field of people willing to touch it. This also means it will cost more.
    2. You have to refinish it.
    3. A quick Google Search shows that you aren't the only one with this issue.

With all that, I doubt it would be cost effective to fix it instead of replace it since you're still left with a lower that is prone to break. It sucks that you're out the lower and $200, but at some point you're just polishing a turd.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't know about out 200. You can get an 80% lower, finish it and duplicate the serial number from your current lower. Then destroy the current one completely. Still unique at that point.....

I wasn't sure if you could do that, so I didn't suggest it. I know the manufacturer can, but they're out of business.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Mag tactical lower. What a surprise .... NOT. They are ****. Don't buy them. A lot of them break. A lot. This has been a public service announcement of my opinions based on things I've seen with my own two eyes.
    Sorry your lower broke. Maybe your bad experience will save others from buying one of these pos lowers

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not sure what information is on the form for that, or if an ATF agent could tell the difference.

The make and model are listed on the form, along with other information. It is not worth the $200 savings to go against federal law by manufacturing a new SBR. Law abiding gun owners should follow all laws, not just try to trick an ATF agent.

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    Not sure what information is on the form for that, or if an ATF agent could tell the difference.

Awesome idea, except for the $100k fine and 10 years in prison.

How could you not think ATF would be able to tell the difference between a home made lower and a proprietary light weight magnesium alloy receiver? Not to mention they keep records of manufacturer markings for future use.

Last edited:

ginger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2013
    Spencer Co.
    I bought it when they first came out. Trying to support local business and all. I talked to the owner awhile back about them being made of magnesium when I was gonna recoat a couple, he said there is so little in it that it doesn't matter. I figured I was SOL, just thought I would ask. Thank you guys!

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No. I'm not quite sure how it would be illegal. I'm not trying to skirt federal law or anything. It's not like you'd have multiple items with the same serial number, so how is it illegal? I've done a little reading, and IANAL but I don't see anything which would prohibit component replacement.

It's a serious question. If I took my S&W lower and built an SBR, I'm the manufacturer at that point, right? I'm really not suggesting that someone do something illegal, but how would this not be legal as long as the original is completely destroyed?

KUJO2388

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 26, 2015
    Terre Haute
    When doing a Form 1 you are not given the same privileges of manufacturing replacement parts as a 07/02 or other license holders. It is the same for a Form 1 Suppressor, once the suppressor is complete you cannot replace old baffles with new baffles. I think you need to spend a little more time "reading" before you give more advice. Like I stated before, you give all the info such as make and model to the ATF on your Form 1 and they approve it to be manufactured into a SBR. Even if you used an 80% type lower (you can and it has been done) you still cannot just make another with the same serial number.

No. I'm not quite sure how it would be illegal. I'm not trying to skirt federal law or anything. It's not like you'd have multiple items with the same serial number, so how is it illegal? I've done a little reading, and IANAL but I don't see anything which would prohibit component replacement.

It's a serious question. If I took my S&W lower and built an SBR, I'm the manufacturer at that point, right? I'm really not suggesting that someone do something illegal, but how would this not be legal as long as the original is completely destroyed?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Its .gov. Logic goes out the window. Even the original manufacturer cannot take back a defective lower, destroy it and re-issue a new one with the same serial. I fell for that logic a while back on a similar issue and had the destroy/reissue idea. (But it was the original manufacturer doing the destroy/reissue to avoid a new transfer) Regardless of how simple and straightforward it seems, uncle sam has other ideas.

But to claim you can destroy my product, produce a lookalike yourself and give it my product's unique identifying mark is downright foolish.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Its .gov. Logic goes out the window. Even the original manufacturer cannot take back a defective lower, destroy it and re-issue a new one with the same serial. I fell for that logic a while back on a similar issue and had the destroy/reissue idea. (But it was the original manufacturer doing the destroy/reissue to avoid a new transfer) Regardless of how simple and straightforward it seems, uncle sam has other ideas.

But to claim you can destroy my product, produce a lookalike yourself and give it my product's unique identifying mark is downright foolish.
    That's not necessarily true. I know someone who had a MAJOR manufacturer replace their broken factory SBR lower with a brand new one. Same serial number as the old.

Top Bottom