• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rattler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2013
    Indpls
    Very funny indeed......but so true. I've had same experience the last few times with Park Hunts also. The only 2 that I've been part of are Brown County -gun and FT Harrison -bow. I've had success at each of them over the years but that was quite a few years ago (probably 9+) or when they first started.
    Used to be great and I know, I know......you're supposed to be there for a "management cull" but when you take off work for 2 days and don't see a darn thing it usually means 1 thing = there really aren't that many deer there as they think.

Havent been for last couple years but I know people have and almost everyone has had the same experience.

They need to lay off the reductions for a couple years in my opinion. No way that the population is over-browsing the parks like they were in early 2000's. AND most people that visit the parks throughout the year like to see wildlife

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    theres always one guy on INGO going to show up and try to make a thread serious.

I know....really....this thread was just starting to leave the tracks and someone had to straighten up again?

Ok back to wrecking this thing... It started out humorous and needs to return.... I think the DNR needs to looks at what Illinois is doing with their Redneck fishing tournament to control the Asian carp.

I propose..."Who can shoot six times...hit the deer three times....and then not go look for it because you didn't see it drop!"

Secret awards should be given for:
    1) who carried the most rounds into the stand.
    2) Who was listening to music on head phones in the stand.
    3) Who fell asleep and fell out.
    4) Who shows up with a tree stand and no harness.
    5) Oldest, scariest, most rusty tree stand actually attempted to use!
    6) Highest blood alcohol content when departing the stand. (Own power or gravity induced!)

Last edited:

1988-4551

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Sorry, I may have been part of the orange army you saw. Rain definitely wasnt fun but we did see three deer and a coyote. I'll take my t-shirt in a size medium and count me in for next year.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Sorry, I may have been part of the orange army you saw. Rain definitely wasnt fun but we did see three deer and a coyote. I'll take my t-shirt in a size medium and count me in for next year.

You definitely won. You're a corporate officer once we organize officially.

d80hunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2015
    Hope
    Might I ask what effort you put in? Did you go to the park before hand and spend some time scouting? Did you make a visit to the park office prior to the hunt and try to gather any information

This sums it up well enough. From past experiences I have had aweful times on park hunts when I showed up in the dark without scouting and no topographic maps in my pack.

Fast forward some years later and I enjoy the park hunts, Brown County and Versailles the most. I NEVER take a treestand on Day 1. It sucks having hunters walk up on you. Day 1 is staying mobile and switching between still hunting and sitting in a chair looking for deer and avoiding the trails. If the conditions are good I will mark a tree to climb for the next morning and go from there.

UTL

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2015
    Central Indiana
    I started MTN biked there a bunch about 4 years ago. The following year I put in and was drawn. Two days before the hunt I went and checked out the areas that I thought would be good. Decided on this kickass spot that borders private land that is not hunted and the park. I made sure I beat feet (about a 30 minute hike on a trail) to get to the tree that i picked out before anyone else could get into the area, then I took my bright ass flashlight and shined it at everyone that was walking in my direction. In the first 45 minutes of light I had seen 2, 10 point bucks and 8 does. Smashed a 140 class 5 year old buck. This year I forgot to apply before the deadline. Its like any new area that you hunt, you have to put in some time and also figure in the hunting pressure.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    Well, y'all won't have to worry about me competing for your areas in the future.

Part of the reason I hunt is to get out and be by myself. I'll admit it's probably my fault for having such high expectations. For some reason, I thought it would be LESS people than I typically encounter on public land, not hundreds more than I normally see.

Obviously some people like it and I'm not trying to discourage them. If you do, that's great, go get 'em, it's just not my style at all. Hunting is the last place I want to actually have to wait in a line!

Top Bottom