• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Airwolf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    Terre Haute, IN
    I am going to go against the grain and say I don't like Brownells. I want to, but every time I see something on there, it is 10-15% more than I can get it somewhere else. On top of that, their shipping is super high. Yes they have everything, but at those prices you can buy them from a couple other people and still come out ahead.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    its not really designed for a retail customer, but rather a one stop shopping place for gunsmiths/store owners. there are very few other places where i can cover all of my needs AND my customers needs with minimal effort.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You could register your complaint directly with them and maybe make a difference?

They listen. I know some of them. They really do want to serve us.

Deucemizer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    I just bought two tiny machine screws with nonstandard threads off of Brownells, delivered they were like $20.00 But where else would I find them?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I just bought two tiny machine screws with nonstandard threads off of Brownells, delivered they were like $20.00 But where else would I find them?

Without knowing the sizing and being able to do a sesarch I have no idea where else they would be available. But being as Brownells is not a manufacturer I'm fairly certain they are available without being a major undertaking. Just saying!:D

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I get a discount through them because of my C&R license, so their prices (for me) don't seem too outrageous on some things, but are high on others. Don't really have much experience in dealing with them yet though.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I have done a good bit of shopping with them and they may not offer bargain basement prices, but everything I have purchased has been reasonable, ~$13 UPS ground is what it is and Brownells can't change that. As I see it, it is as good as it is going to get without kicking every bush and looking under every rock for each item. Yes, I do find things better/cheaper/not available from Brownells elsewhere, but as IndyGunworks pointed out, one stop shopping is the name of the game there. Sometimes we just have to be understanding that each vendor has a mission which is not necessarily the same as the vendor up the street.

cfgunworks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Clinton Co.
    I would like to add that the customer service and support is worth paying a little extra. I've been burnt more often than not trying to save a few bucks.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I also have my C&R and Brownells, with my discount they are comparable to most other places for the 'ODD" items. On my last order they had to backorder a couple of items. They sent the order sans those items and they pay the shipping when they receive and ship the BO. Thats a lot better than some that hold your order till they have it all or cancel the BO items and make you pay the shipping later.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You could register your complaint directly with them and maybe make a difference?

They listen. I know some of them. They really do want to serve us.

I use them almost exclusively for pieces and parts. They are a bit high but I consider that a convenience charge. They are most helpful and the tech support has been good.
    I have voiced my concerns on the shipping costs to no avail. Ammo is stupid expensive with them as well.

rhinoabe

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Jennings Co.
    When I created my account with Brownells online, where it ask for shop name I put my name. Where it asked if this is going to be used for personal use or business use or prefer not to say. I put prefer not to say. And that gives me the business discount prices.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always had good luck with MidwayUSA. The prices are reasonable and I get stuff about 2 days after putting the order in even though I did not do anything but the base level shipping. I've bought from Brownell's before, but really hate their website. I have searched for stuff that I know is there, but is just can not be found in their website.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

You would have been farther ahead by taking the gun to Stu Grell. He probably would have installed the screws for half that.

You have to be careful that you are not tripping over dimes counting pennies. I needed 4 filler screws for my .22 rifle. I took the rifle to stu and he put them in, made sure they were the correct length and didn't interfere with my bolt and charged me $20. Plus I had a nice conversation with him and was able to decide that I would trust him to do more advanced work on my firearms should the need arise.

fishbass62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   1
    Dec 24, 2011
    Franklin
    They are good for finding parts, but their shipping is expensive. I had to pay $6 or $7 shipping to have a 99 cent pin that was about 1/2 inch long sent to me. I called and told them to just put it in an envelope and put a stamp on it. It came in an 8 inch cubed box. I think the box and bubble wrap cost more then the pin.

marcweid

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Avon, IN
    A couple of months ago I needed to buy some Alumahyde paint from them. I final decided to pay the $12.99 for a can but then on checkout found out shipping was another $13.xx. Which ended up making for a $26.00+ can of paint. Personally I felt it was a bit high but what could I do.

Oh and actually I decided to buy four different colors and the shipping ended up staying the same for four as one so then it turned out a little better I guess.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Ordered from Brownells the rest of the parts I need to finish my current AR build on Wed. I will have them on Monday. Everything was in stock and I had several different options to choose from on all of my needs. I might have saved a few dimes by jumping around to several suppliers but the shipping would have offset any savings and made things more complex than needed. I will get 1 box from one place with all my bits and pieces. Sometimes I just pay a convenience charge.

Top Bottom