• ...and so much more!
  • Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I tried the Hi Power, but the grip seemed too short and I didn't like not having a full beaver tail.

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Never owned a BHP but have fired a number of them. Generally speaking, they are the most accurate production pistol I've ever encountered short of Sig's P210. As others have stated, they have a balance and pointability about them most other handguns seem unable to match.

Ungie

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2013
    Connecticut
    I am spoiled. I like the 1911's. I have tried hi powers in the past. It's handle just isn't for me. I like the quality of the gun and it's pedigree they're just not for me.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    The HP has served with distinction for decades with many elite military units, and at one time was THE platform of choice for special op's and anti terrorist units. FBI HRT used the Browning back in the late 80's / early 90's, and it was highly regarded. A good friend of mine who was an HRT operator and instructor at Quantico had one that had over 100,000 documented rds thru it. I have carried and shot the HP since the mid 70's, I have always liked the size of it and the fact that it carried the number of rds that it does. I also liked the fact that I could carry it cocked and locked like the 1911 platform. Over the years I have known a lot of professionals who packed the HP and it always served them well.

CZ75 and Tanfoglio Witness series pistols are derived from HP lineage too. Of the two I prefer the CZ, but I've never owned one of the high dollar Witness line. Just one of the cheap ones.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had an FM Argentinian Hi Power and liked it a whole lot. It was a great gun that pointed well and had a decent trigger. Once I started shooting CZs though, the Hi Power never made it out of the safe. It's a great gun, but for 9mm the CZ just works better for me. I do have a nice FN Belgian Hi Power on my wish list and will one day add a Hi Power back into the collection. As for what I like better, 1911 or Hi Power, it depends on the caliber of the 1911. If you are talking 9mm 1911, then I'd go Hi Power every time. But, if the 1911 is a .45 then it's 1911 all the way. As nice as the Hi Power is, I don't think it will ever feel as good to me as a nice 1911. When comparing the two, you do need to make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If you compare a nice Browning Hi Power to a low end 1911, the Hi Power will feel much better in the hand. But, if you are comparing that same Hi Power to an Ed Brown high end, or even Sig mid level 1911, the feel will depend on the person holding the gun's preference. But, if the Hi Power is a tired Argentinian and the 1911 is a Sig, then the 1911 will probably feel better. Like some older designs, Hi Powers and 1911s have a large number of clones in varying levels of quality and condition. It's hard to say what's better without qualifying the comparison in some way.

Top Bottom