• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Shot a Browning hi power today. Where have they or I been this entire time! Finally pulled my head out of the dark matter and now I see. Seen and heard they point so natural, so smoooth to shoot, now I'm a believer. When we were at the range today that little gun also made a couple other guys believers. So more than likely there will be about three more being bought in the future, I know I'm going to have to have one of my own. JMB is without a doubt the most brilliant gun designer, this gun is incredible, it's the clone, knock off or generic version, a step child that nobody wants, that makes this all the more amazing.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Shot one of my old Belgium HPs the other day. She aint pretty no more but she sure can shoot! Carried it around in my cargo shorts pocket while walking the dog and going to the Drive Thru too. I like my HPs!!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I know what you mean. I don't have the money to buy a real Hi Power, but a friend of mine has a clone, the FEG, and I have shot it and was impressed. I might be looking into getting one of those, that is unless I find a used Hi Power...good luck, people don't like to get rid of them.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Dad passed his down to me right before he died. It was a closet gun until a couple of months ago. I'd never shot a BHP before and now I'm a die hard fan. Fantastic gun!

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    I can't wait till two more pay periods and I will have an FM clone. It my not be an true BHP but it will be a good shooter that won't have worry about ruining the finish or value. It just seemed right in the hand. I have been wanting one for a long time but it will be tough to beat my Favorite Colt.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    Shot my first HP back in the mid 70's and liked it alot. Couldn't afford one back then so ended up with an old Llama .380. Shot an HP for the second time in the early 90's and liked it alot but was then into .357 and larger caliber revolvers. After the revolver stage came the 1911 platform that has carried me through to present time quite wonderfully! Shot my latest HP a few months back and the hook wa set. Man what sweet guns! Finally bought a nice FN Belgium and then more recently picked up a FEG clone at the last 1500 that looked pretty crappy off the table, but after getting it home and cleaning it up it has turned out to be a very beautiful firearm. It groups pretty good also. Not as good as the FN but decent. The fit is a little looser than the FN which is pretty tight. Next on the list............................Browning MK III HP. I am enen thinking possibly in .40 S&W. After that I guess I will have to fill in the gaps with the rest of the licensed copies and clones. I hear there are several more beautiful offerings out there. WOW! I been bit bad. And the there's Cylinder & Slide.........

drnorris

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It was my first center fire hand gun back in the '60's but I sold it when I went into the service. I went back to it about 10 years ago. I use it in my Ohio CCW classes to show students what a good handgun should feel like. I have had several offer to buy it but it is not foe sale.

CCF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Just a little nerd info....

The HP as we know it, is not the HP that JMB was creating. John died in 1926, and at his death the HP was completely different gun. I actually think it was going to be better in many ways. John's HP was to hold 17 rounds and the slide was designed with a breechblock reminiscent of the savage pistol he went up against during the military trials. The slide looked way cooler and more streamlined. Field stripping was way different too of course.

FN commissioned John to develop this new sidearm. John had sold his rights to the 1911 to Colt and was forced to create something completely new. The design used a staggered magazines designed by Dieudonne' Saive. After John's death in 26 Saive took over development.

In 1928 the 1911 patents expired and Saive used many of those design ideas and really turned it into a JMB inspired gun. It has John written all over it but I don't really think we can call it "his" design.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Just a little nerd info....

In 1928 the 1911 patents expired and Saive used many of those design ideas and really turned it into a JMB inspired gun. It has John written all over it but I don't really think we can call it "his" design.

Saive deserves at least as much credit as JMB for the design. Saive was a very talented designer in his own right.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Saive was a very talented designer in his own right.

Yes, good to see Saive get the rep that is due the Belgium designers.

The double stack magazine was his.

As well Saive is the grandfather of the FAL (the FN-49 was Saive's).

Just between the FAL and the FN MAG Belgium designers have owned a significant portion of the last 60 years of firearms.

Top Bottom