• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    So my safe is filling up faster then i thought and i dont wanna buy another one right now. so i figured i could move my ammo out of it to make more room. whats a good budget lock box that can hold a couple thousand rounds of various pistol and rifle calibers. fireproof is a plus but not mandatory. i dont mind if it has weight to it thats also a plus! harder to steal lol.

any and all suggestions welcome!!!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I personally have never felt a need to lock up ammo (no kids about) but standard surplus ammo cans can be padlocked. I have seen some folks run long cables through multiple cans and secure them that way.

Last edited:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    You're more than welcome to store ALL your ammunition at MY house for free! Of course, I do take a 'small percentage' off the top (of the pile) each month as a 'maintenance fee'. You know, like how banks charge a fee every month for allowing you the 'privilege' of storing your money there! :lmfao:

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    You're more than welcome to store ALL your ammunition at MY house for free! Of course, I do take a 'small percentage' off the top (of the pile) each month as a 'maintenance fee'. You know, like how banks charge a fee every month for allowing you the 'privilege' of storing your money there! :lmfao:

nice.. lol

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Well a relatively cheap way is to get a stack on safe. Basically a metal box with a lock. It wouldn't be too hard to crow bar but it would be something. I'd say burglar resistant but definitely not burglar proof. Maybe hide it somehow and bolt it to the floor.

skeene

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2013
    I had the same problem as I started reloading more and soon had no place to put it all. Ended up buying an el cheapo Stacker 8 gun safe from Dunhams (I think sale price was $89). I put some shelves in it and it worked out pretty well. No fire protection but it locks and with about 3,500 rounds in it no one is just going to carry it off. Filled it up and bought a second.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I also do the Stack-On "safe" method. It is a 14 gun size. It provides minimal security but it hidden away out of sight and bolted down. Mainly just a central location to store my bulk ammo and makes me feel better. :)

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Another option is a large ammo can (30mm?), someone who knows for sure can chime in. I have a couple o these, they are about 14"tall x 8" wide x 22" long. Load them up with a lot of ammo to make it heavy enough no one can pick it up, put locks or cable lock around it to keep the lid on.

An added benefit of this is that one with a good seal, throw some desiccant in & they are airtight.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I also do the Stack-On "safe" method. It is a 14 gun size. It provides minimal security but it hidden away out of sight and bolted down. Mainly just a central location to store my bulk ammo and makes me feel better. :)

Yep, add me to the mix. Bought a $99 metal gun cabinet from Rural King that locks. I have it bolted to the floor. Holds a bunch of ammo.

Indynic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    Parts Unknown
    My biggest concern is storing it in a way that will preserve the ammo. I was at the range with a buddy of mine a couple of weeks ago and he brought a 10 year old Federal Bulk pack of 22LR half of them were duds.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I recently shot some .22 that I did NOT store well (shooting my old stock first). It still had the Otasco stickers (Winchester & Remington) on it from when I bought it in the mid 80's, the lead was a little white & fit tight in the chambers but approx. 97%+ fired.

They were stored in non climate or humidity controlled garage, moved from Oklahoma, stored the same, stored in a minibarn, stored in a bedroom, then in a gun safe with dehumidifier & desiccant, then into a sealed ammo can with desiccant for the last year or so.

edit;
    I no longer store with disregard or recommend it, now everything in desiccated ammo cans or equivalent in the safe.

Last edited:

Hitchhiker

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2012
    .50 cal ammo cans, in the bottom of cardboard boxes in a closet with old clothes and such thrown on top. Hidden in plain view.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I like the idea of the stack on locker. My gun safe is being overrun with ammo and it needs a new home. Now all I have to do is talk the wife into letting me put another safe/cabinet in the room.

Top Bottom