• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I'm working on a budget SPR build for a friend and am considering the following parts. Wondered if anyone else had any suggestions.

Aero upper
    Faxon 18" with rifle gas
    AIM surplus phosphate BCG, 9130 bolt
    Faxon 13" slimline rail
    A2 flash hider
    milspec charging handle

delton lower (already have)
    standard lower parts kit (may upgrade to PSA polished parts kit)
    milspec stock

all,of this I can have for right around $600. Anyone have any suggestions of things to include/avoid?

Im leaving glass to him.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    If you're going for a SPR build, then I would get a much better trigger for it. I highly suggest a Geissele trigger. I have 2xG2S and 1xSSA-E. I've owned a Timney and still own a LMT 2-stage as well. Geissele are tough to beat but as always YMMV.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    If you're going for a SPR build, then I would get a much better trigger for it. I highly suggest a Geissele trigger. I have 2xG2S and 1xSSA-E. I've owned a Timney and still own a LMT 2-stage as well. Geissele are tough to beat but as always YMMV.

I toyed with the idea. The issue with this build is I'm on a tight budget and the trigger puts me over budget. I also have a ssa-e in my ar and love it.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would save then until you can afford the better trigger. It's worth it if you are going to shoot it. You'll have lots of cash in an optic anyhow.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I toyed with the idea. The issue with this build is I'm on a tight budget and the trigger puts me over budget. I also have a ssa-e in my ar and love it.

I'd suggest getting the PSA polished lower parts kit and drop the trigger assembly in your current AR. (I just picked one up their enhanced lpks last week for $80).

Swap the Geissele SSA-E into the new SPR. Problem solved.

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    I'll be the odd man out and say go ahead and build it. I built one very similar recently and am very happy with it. Can always upgrade triggers when the cash is available later.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    This is a build for a friend. If I was building one for myself, I have a parts list laid out. However, he wants to stick with a certain budget. Also, it's his first AR.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Larue MBT-2S triggers are $125 if you agree to wait for about 6 weeks to get one. VERY nice alternative to a Geissele, and a lot cheaper since your buddy is on a budget.
    http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-mbt-2s-trigger

Run the stock trigger until he saves enough for one.

For the barrel, you could also look into a Mega (but Faxon barrels seem to be doing pretty well). They're good barrels. Aim has them in stock for $210 if you use the secret coupon code (pm me if you don't have it, no I'm not affiliated in any way).
    MEGA ARMS 18" Stainless 5.56 AR Barrel

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    That parts list look fine for a budget SPR build. I'll echo others about the trigger. Build it now and save more dead presidents for a better trigger down the road

Top Bottom