• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbhummer2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    north central IN
    ok so I went out to put a few bullets down range at a friends place about a week ago when it warmed up for those few days. well it was muddy so I drove my truck back to the range. well long story short I needed the extra room in the cab for some others and I put my BOB in the bed of the truck. well I forgot to put it back in the truck that night and it rained during the night. when I got up the next day I noticed that I forgot to put it back in my truck. so this got me to thinking that if I was in need of this bag and it would be raining if the SHTF that it would be good to make sure they can resist the rain. Now the bag that I have is a military bag so it did pretty well but some water did get in. so the lesson learned is to put some water proofing spray on the bag like scotchgard. I know some people are reading and going duh. but if I helps someone out I am glad.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    My food saver works great for sealing anything I don't want moisture getting to in my BOB.

Clothes
    Ammo
    Maps
    Fire starting stuff

Plus I did treat my bag with Coleman Waterproofing spray.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    If I may make a suggestion of a bag liner .......

Amazon.com: US Military Army Navy Waterproof Clothing Laundry Dry Bag (Lot of 3): Everything Else

waterproofing spray will work for a drizzle, but we are talking about a BOB here. you will be in all types of weather with it, and in indiana that means WET most of the year. snow melts when its warm too ;)
    also, some of you might need the bag to float ;) so consider that too. a BOB can never be a quick thing. it needs to be well planned out. i love zip lock bags ............ for leftovers. but for using in the field they suck, trust me. you will need to reuse them and the food saver bags suck after they are open a lot of the time. think ahead always. its great always to see people taking an active roll in self preservation and refusing to be added to the list of victims when disaster strikes. stay safe!

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Another use for those bags mentioned by E5Ranger is they can also be used for washing clothes (especially under garments & socks). Throw a little water in there with some CampSuds, seal the bag up, and pretend it's Shake & Bake. Rinse a couple of times, wring them out, and dry.

Nothing feels better than clean socks (unless it's dry socks!).

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Another use for those bags mentioned by E5Ranger is they can also be used for washing clothes (especially under garments & socks). Throw a little water in there with some CampSuds, seal the bag up, and pretend it's Shake & Bake. Rinse a couple of times, wring them out, and dry.

Nothing feels better than clean socks (unless it's dry socks!).
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway: oh yeah!!! dry socks are the bees knees :D
    if they aint dry, go without socks
    a BOB washing machine. I will let my wife know her responsibilities during SHTF have not changed :laugh: (she's behind me isnt she?, upt oh :()

for the record: I wash the pants in this family ;)

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    :yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway: oh yeah!!! dry socks are the bees knees :D
    if they aint dry, go without socks
    a BOB washing machine. I will let my wife know her responsibilities during SHTF have not changed :laugh: (she's behind me isnt she?, upt oh :()

for the record: I wash the pants in this family ;)

Somehow I can't see you in the woods with a bucket, a plunger, and a French Maid outfit taking in laundry! At least with the patented BOB washing machine, it will look somewhat normal.:D

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    can i start with the ones your wearing in your avatar? :D ;)

sorry, it was just too easy and unresistible. like a fat kid on a cup cake, or a fly on poo. the pull to be bad was too strong for my weak mind

You stood strong for a whole 2 minutes though. That has to count for something.

Pamcake

Don't Tread On Me
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Franklin

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    E5, I'm wondering why you favor the drawstring-closure bag over the kind that rolls over & buckles (like SealLine, link below). ??? Tell me what I am missing here. Thanks, sorry to pick your brain.

Amazon.com: SealLine Black Canyon 40-Liter PVC-Free Dry Bag: Sports & Outdoors

i dont other than they are cheaper. and a little more flexible. you get the same result, but yeah they wont last as long as the ones your talking about.

the buckle style is what i use for kayaking

ol' trucker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2010
    indianapolis
    Sorry for the loss.

Sorry, I had a beloved pet die today and decided to spread the gloom. -1 digging a hole in January.
    Yesterday morning I lost a dog of 12yrs also. he lost about 10lbs in 2 weeks. took him in,and they took an x-ray. and his longs were just covered with cancer. had to let him go. Ingo has helped me take my mind off of things...Sorry to hijack the thread. just when I read the post,made me think of old Petie. ok,back to the original thread.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Wanted to throw another idea out for the dry bags. You can use them for what are called "bear bags". Put your food in one, toss a line over a tree limb and hoist the bag about 15 feet in the air & about 8 feet from the tree trunk, then tie-off the line. You would want to do this some distance away from your sleeping area though.

Might help to keep critters out of your camp site.

Here are several links for additional info:

1) Bear Bag Hanging Techniques @ Backpacking Light

2) Outdoor Action Guide to Bear Proofing your Campsite

edit: Here's a decent video showing the PCT method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8FXRJldcpE

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    If I may make a suggestion of a bag liner .......

Amazon.com: US Military Army Navy Waterproof Clothing Laundry Dry Bag (Lot of 3): Everything Else

waterproofing spray will work for a drizzle, but we are talking about a BOB here. you will be in all types of weather with it, and in indiana that means WET most of the year. snow melts when its warm too ;)
    also, some of you might need the bag to float ;) so consider that too. a BOB can never be a quick thing. it needs to be well planned out. i love zip lock bags ............ for leftovers. but for using in the field they suck, trust me. you will need to reuse them and the food saver bags suck after they are open a lot of the time. think ahead always. its great always to see people taking an active roll in self preservation and refusing to be added to the list of victims when disaster strikes. stay safe!
    :+1: This is just what I was thinking about, leave it to the Military people, to think alike..... :twocents: :yesway:

Top Bottom