• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Have a question about putting a pre-paid phone in my bug out bag...

1) is there an han e that my bought minutes would expire from non-use?

2) can I essentially store one in my BOB powered off for an extended period of time?

3) if phone minutes do expire or have "use it or lose it" type of plans, are there some pre-paid SHTF phones and plans that are better than others?

Any and all info is greatly appreciated

GONZO!!'

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    (I DO NOT work for Tracfone, or any cell carrier or reseller, but I used to sell phones for a living.)

Tracfone is hands-down the best for long term low usage prepaid service.

Buy a $50 triple minutes phone (LG800g) and an 60 minute card ($20)

That's 3 hours of talk for $phone$ + $20 good for 3 months and continued service for only $6.667 a month (assuming $20 / 90 day card) and 3 for the price of one minutes for the life of the phone AND minutes do not expire, only service time does. No other company can match this deal.

One thing to keep in mind, there are TWO major radio techs that are used by cell providers in the US... they are CDMA and GSM. They are not compatible with each other and that can be a good thing... (Tracfone can use either/or, depending on the phone, so research the type you have and the type the Tracfone you want to get has, it is best to have one of each.)

If you have a Sprint or Verizon phone (CDMA based), a GSM based Tracfone is a great back-up to keep on hand as their radio tech works on different towers, so if the local CDMA tower goes out you can switch to your GSM back-up... The same goes for At&t and T-Mobile guys (GSM based), get a CDMA based Tracfone or Virgin Mobile / Boost mobile phone as a back-up instead.

Most cellphones that are turned off and battery removed will retain a usable battery charge for MONTHS. (Provided the battery is good)

BTW: Did you know?... EVERY cellphone using current radio technology is capable of dialing 911 even WITHOUT a service contract!

Last edited:

Tbald14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    (I DO NOT work for Tracfone, or any cell carrier or reseller, but I used to sell phones for a living.)

Tracfone is hands-down the best for long term low usage prepaid service.

Buy a $50 triple minutes phone (LG800g) and an 60 minute card ($20)

That's 3 hours of talk for $phone$ + $20 good for 3 months and continued service for only $6.667 a month (assuming $20 / 90 day card) and 3 for the price of one minutes for the life of the phone AND minutes do not expire, only service time does. No other company can match this deal.

One thing to keep in mind, there are TWO major radio techs that are used by cell providers in the US... they are CDMA and GSM. They are not compatible with each other and that can be a good thing... (Tracfone can use either/or, depending on the phone, so research the type you have and the type the Tracfone you want to get has, it is best to have one of each.)

If you have a Sprint or Verizon phone (CDMA based), a GSM based Tracfone is a great back-up to keep on hand as their radio tech works on different towers, so if the local CDMA tower goes out you can switch to your GSM back-up... The same goes for At&t and T-Mobile guys (GSM based), get a CDMA based Tracfone or Virgin Mobile / Boost mobile phone as a back-up instead.

Most cellphones that are turned off and battery removed will retain a usable battery charge for MONTHS. (Provided the battery is good)

BTW: Did you know?... EVERY cellphone using current radio technology is capable of dialing 911 even WITHOUT a service contract!

I do Work in the Cell industry and could not have said it better myself. BUT food for thought, networks are prioritized. In a True SHTF situations the networks go in to "Emergency mode" because of the huge upswing in usage. They first cut off service to the pre-paid devices (except for 911 usage) then they begin to throttler back contracted users. In a highly populated area it could take 10 attempts to make an out-bound call to even connect once. Even then it could be dropped a few minutes in to the call. Now this is in a MAJOR SHTF and as far as I know the carrier I work for has only had this happen a few times in small pocket areas for natural disasters, ie Katrina. Even then it was for a short time until they were able to deploy the COW or Cell-on-wheels. I still carry an extra phone with me in my BOB just in case.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    Last time I was in a major hurricane in VB...Isabell, our cell phone did not work for days, but my land line worked great, just could not call many because they all had cell phone.

fangz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    North Side
    This is a little off topic but I use Google voice on my computer to make phone calls as a backup, works great when I'm on the road with a dead cell phone. All I need is my laptop and WiFi.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but worked during my last personal SHTF.

GONZO!!!

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Slightly off topic but still relatively related to topic...

What about throwing hand held portable CB radio in the BOB? Not secure but at least a form of communication

GONZO!!!

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Slightly off topic but still relatively related to topic...

What about throwing hand held portable CB radio in the BOB? Not secure but at least a form of communication

GONZO!!!

Not a bad idea, however, don't expect long range. I've got a Cobra Handheld CB, 40 channel, I have maybe 2 miles tops on a good day. Plus the thing eats the battery fast.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    I was thinking about one of these:

SpareOne Emergency Phone | SpareOne Emergency Phone

It is a Cell phone specially designed to run off of a AA battery and claims 10 hrs talktime / 15 years offtime. Granted, I'm sure we all have at least one old cell phone lying around somewhere that could serve a similar purpose, but the ones i have use wall chargers and their batteries are at the end of their lifespans, so they don't really hold a charge.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you have a group to contact, use a group text. Text's get through better, very little bandwidth.

Go with a VHF ham radio over a CB. I have talked 100 miles using repeaters, 23 miles simplex to radio with a an antenna slung over a tree branch in the field.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Not a bad idea, however, don't expect long range. I've got a Cobra Handheld CB, 40 channel, I have maybe 2 miles tops on a good day. Plus the thing eats the battery fast.

I have a Midland in my truck and am looking to get a handheld for my wife. If we bug out to our retreat both cars are going to be loaded down and we need to be in constant communication. Hand held walkies would work too but since I already have the CB that seems a better way to go.

Comms would be a major issue when SHTF. Thats why preplanning with trusted friends and neighbors and having fuel and weapons caches is vital. check out James Wesley Rawles books and his site SurvivalBlog.com

Our retreat has plenty of hand held walkies and two CBs so when we get close we can contact them to tell them we're coming in. We also plan to use them to monitor comms from others mostly to see what is going on nearby and, perhaps, raiders who might be stupid enough to use CBs to coordinate attacks. Just my .02

Top Bottom