• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I guess it’s back to gas and fire!
    Yep. Best advice I've heard is after the season clean up all the plants and anything they can hide under around the garden. They will over winter and just come back next year. That and a hands on approach if you catch them earlier enough. Check the underside of the leaves for eggs and pick off/smash and same with any adults/nymphs.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Dr. Bronners Castile soap does work decently on them.

Mom is right, the eggs will be on the underside of the leaves and there will be a bunch of them. Cut off or scrape off the eggs will slow them down some.

Crop rotation is the best way to try to break the cycle some also.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Late to the thread.

Yep, those are young squash bugs. I get them every year. Time to go check again.

I seen one on a remote squash patch early this week. It's kind of an experimental patch, so I gave the small patch a bath in sudsy Dawn water from the sprinkling can.

The adult and young squash bugs will smother and die when coated with a Dawn water spray. (YouTubes out there on it.) Once seen, normally have to spend time daily killing these bugs off with a pump sprayer.

The real argument is how much Dawn you want to get on your plants? You like it to be none, but you gotta kill those bugs, if you want a yield.

Keep an eye out for these when you are inspecting...

1661529560711.png

The vine borers are often there when the squash bugs are.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I have had good luck with tobacco juice on most bugs. Used to be inexpensive way to deal with most pests. Make tea from a chunk of chewing tobacco and spray it on the plants. Now dawn is much more cost effective. Tobacco has very few pests for a reason.

Rotation of those crops will help tremendously.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have had good luck with tobacco juice on most bugs. Used to be inexpensive way to deal with most pests. Make tea from a chunk of chewing tobacco and spray it on the plants. Now dawn is much more cost effective. Tobacco has very few pests for a reason.

Rotation of those crops will help tremendously.
    I'm glad you put in the part about making a tea with it. I was picturing you walking the garden with a big ol' chaw in your cheek and spitting. :):

iu

Top Bottom