• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    Im looking at the vz2008 at both AIM and Classic Firearms and worried that the current deals are going to dry up soon. I have also been considering building one from a receiver at CNC Warrior. Does anyone have experience with the vz2008? What about a built vz58?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I have an early VZ58 and it is a fun shooter. Light weight, easy to handle and surprisingly low perceived recoil. It does have a very strange firing mechanism which takes getting used to when taking it down for cleaning, but other than that I really like mine.

One thing to remember, and forgive me if you already know this as some don't, the only thing it has in common with an AK is the ammo. Everything else is different including it's proprietary mags.

With the current prices of the VZ-2008 I have been tempted to get another just to fiddle with.

MordecuS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Mooresville
    Indykid, thank you for the reply. One of the main reasons I am entertaining the vz2008 over a build is that they come with 5 mags. I'm glad to hear you like yours. I will keep the internal struggle going :)

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Every body stop talking about VZ's so I don't have to buy one!

I have been itching for one for about a month but with a baby girl coming in May it will have to wait

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    I'm a snob, so I would only go after one from CzechPoint/D-Technik, if I really wanted one I would probably just build one if the other option was not available. Personally I would just rather not have one if my only choice was a vz2008

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm a snob, so I would only go after one from CzechPoint/D-Technik, if I really wanted one I would probably just build one if the other option was not available. Personally I would just rather not have one if my only choice was a vz2008

^ I totally agree, but that price point is tempting. Then again, I've made a promise to myself to resist anything that Century has had a part in buillding (importing excluded), regardless how tempting the price point may be. I would like to own a Czech Point or CZ USA import, but am not in big hurry to do so.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    From what I've read, the VZ 58 build is very difficult and requires special equipment/presses for the barrel. There's a video on the Czechpoint USA website showing some stages of assembly. I think it's also one of the builds that Century farms out because it's too difficult for them to do in house.

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I'll be picking up a VZ2008 tomorrow or Thursday, hopefully, and will add my impression here. The current $499 pricing for a carbine and 5 mags is pretty hard to pass up, and if nothing else makes for an excellent JIC/trunk gun.

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Good luck with the purchase. The VZ2008's seem to be getting great reviews with the latest batches.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I own an original d-technik version in the gray finish and have owned it since they first hit the US market many years ago. I have ran 2000+ rounds through it and its still ticking never missing a beat. and even with heavy use she still looks great. Function IMO is more like a swiss watch. Every tick every movement its fluid and perfect the recoil is extremely balanced and goes directly back with no wobble or misdirecting motions. the muzzle rise is very minimal. Please note that my original d-technik version has a welded muzzle "crown" and does not have any type of flash hider or muzzle break. And when i fire rapidly the muzzle rise is very controllable and would be nearly completely diminished by a proper muzzle break.

I personally believe this to be the best 7.62x39 rifle available especially for the current prices and had i not just bought a new Tavor i would be buying a 2nd VZ58 to set up differently for my GF and durracoat it pink lol.... ok thats still my plan. ill post pics lol
    to be continued.....lol

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    Order Placed: 12PM April 1st with Aim Surplus for $518.43 shipped to 46052
    Order Shipped: 5PM April 7th
    Order Picked up: 2:30PM April 8th

Rifle and kit came packaged in a discreet brown box with original nondescript box inside; box included 2 sheets of egg carton padding, rifle, sling, used magazine, cleaning kit, and bayonet w/ frog. The "nadsack" with 4 new mags were outside the box but weren't rolling around loose. The rifle itself looks great, appears to be new condition with a couple rounds fired at the factory. All metal surfaces are black oxide finish, mags are the grey paint. Handguards are in used condition but don't have chunks out or damage visible. All fitted parts are tight, no slop or looseness observed. This is my 3rd CAI rifle (C91, WASR, VZ2008) and they've all been great without the normal drunken monkey issues.

The model I received has the down = safe, back = fire type safety. This works for me, you can feel with the top of your trigger finger when it's on "safe", and can quickly flick it off. It also has a BHO button just in front of the triggerguard for locking the bolt without an empty mag. There's no provision for a bolt release, but it doesn't take much movement to get the bolt to unlock. This rifle came with the 14x1mm RH thread and the slant muzzle device.The bayonet is in good condition as well and in a new frog. The receiver and bayonet are the only serialized parts, and don't match.

Mags rock in smoothly and only have a slight side-to-side movement. They are extremely light, and the whole rifle is indeed noticeably lighter than an AK. The entire receiver is very open and the chamber area is completely open for clearing. Chamber and bore are a little lower than in an AK and are tough to see from the breech end, but the barrel looks good from the muzzle end.

The cleaning kit includes 2 sections of rod, a patch holder (AK style), a chamber brush (mine was toast), a muzzle protector (from an AK kit), and a L-shaped needle for cleaning the gas port. There's no provision for storage on-board, so it's a pack item.

Haven't gotten a chance to fire off yet, but everything looks good to go, and I'm pleased with my purchase. I bought a WASR 10/63 with 1 mag at the Indy 1500 several years ago (pre-Obummer) for $460-ish, and this deal blows that away. I'll get some pics up here this evening :rockwoot:

sofrosune

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I think there are some aftermarket bolt releases available that you can install if that's a concern.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry for the necropost, but this seemed like the logical place. Just ordered one of these from Palmetto State for $399.99, $416.99 shipped. Comes with 5 mags and cleaning kit, but no bayonet or frog. I can live with that. :)

Coumtryflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 2, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Dang, at that price, I will have to look at palmetto state now.

And at 399 out the door, I'm going to have to give myself a father's day gift. I should really spend less time on this forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Dang, at that price, I will have to look at palmetto state now.

And at 399 out the door, I'm going to have to give myself a father's day gift. I should really spend less time on this forum.

I'd been fighting temptation ever since AIM and Classic Firearms had them for $499, but when I saw $399, I couldn't resist any longer!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Picked up my PSA sourced VZ2008 today. This has to be the best value running right now. Rifle is solid, everything looks great, fit and finish are excellent. Bayonet, five magazines for about $435 with shipping and transfer. I would seriously order a half dozen of these if I had the spare cash. I will at least have to order one more and put a fixed stock on it.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    After trying to get a shipping label for my CAI VZ2008 since July 8th, they finally got me one. So it'll probably take 4 months for them to fix a canted front sight

Very cool and slick rifles, but if you can't hit anything with them......worthless

Top Bottom