• ...and so much more!
  • JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Can it? Sure.
    Will it be (vs. mid- to upper- tier ARs)? Almost certainly not.

Do I ever plan to push the one I built hard enough to really know? Not really.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can it? Sure.
    Will it be (vs. mid- to upper- tier ARs)? Almost certainly not.

Do I ever plan to push the one I built hard enough to really know? Not really.
    A hand build can most assuredly be MUCH better than a factory "off the shelf" offering, but you may not be able to afford it.
    Quality is a relative term.
    It has a different meaning to different people.

Some believe Colt are "quality" factory offerings, while others will scoff at the notion.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Just remember "factory" builds are build in masse and attention to detail may not be what you'd do to your own build. I'm not saying my stuff is as good as any factory trained gunsmith, just something to keep in mind.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Sure, if you assemble it correctly with quality components. Another problem I have seen a lot of times is too many "improved" bling parts on a build that are not compatible. A gun that has lots of bragging rights on fancy parts that does not run is not much fun.

The weak point is if you want to resell. If you bought a Custom from Compass Lake Engineering and went to sell it to some Camp Perry competitors, it would fetch a good price. If you put a similar rifle together yourself, it will not bring the same money.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I trust my builds just as much as the couple of factory builds I haven’t sold off, and probably won’t purchase another factory build. My bargain Aero build has far more mileage on it than my DD V7 Pro and was less than half the price. At this point, I just don’t see any sense in purchasing something I’m going to modify when I can tailor it to my preferences from the start.

That said, it’s far easier to get your money back on a factory build. If you want to get into building your own, make sure you’re getting what you want because you may be stuck with it. And if you can sell it, you’re gonna take a loss.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    Sure, if you assemble it correctly with quality components. Another problem I have seen a lot of times is too many "improved" bling parts on a build that are not compatible. A gun that has lots of bragging The weak point is if you want to resell. If you bought a Custom from Compass Lake Engineering and went to sell it to some Camp Perry competitors, it would fetch a good price. If you put a similar rifle together yourself, it will not bring the same money.
    Sure, if you assemble it correctly with quality components. Another problem I have seen a lot of times is too many "improved" bling parts on a build that are not compatible. A gun that has lots of bragging rights on fancy parts that does not run is not much fun.

The weak point is if you want to resell. If you bought a Custom from Compass Lake Engineering and went to sell it to some Camp Perry competitors, it would fetch a good price. If you put a similar rifle together yourself, it will not bring the same money.
    You just beat me to it on resale value.

The “bling parts” crack me up. The ranges I shoot at are frequented by the Boca Raton crowd and some of the things they come in with are priceless. A guy once paid me $20 to sight in his Aimpoint and had an IR laser mounted to his rail (along with just about every other accessory you can think of).

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Back in the olden times(pre ban)There used to be three quality ar’s and you could call them the ABC’s.

Armalight bushmaster and colt.

The others were just ar’s like a build. Now the ABC’s are not what they once were unless you get lucky and find and old one. And you can now spend whatever you like on an AR. Most will work as well to better than the old ABC’s.

I like my AK’s but have an AR so I can be compatible with my MAG members. Got lucky and just had to replace a couple parts.
    Trigger sucked now it does not.

And they are not really builds. I will go for assembly but not really a build. AK’s from a parts kit are a build. Ar’s are not.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    This if you ever want to sell it. When I see built guns in the classifieds, they are rifles I wouldn't even consider buying (and don't get me started on the BCM title just to click on it and find out it's a PSA kit build with two BCM roll pins).
    I have a pretty sweet LMT you should take a look at ;).

I generally look at guns as a hobby that double as an investment, but I don’t start a build before accepting it as nothing more than an expenditure.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I have bought 4 factory rifles, a post ban Bushmaster back in the 90's, then a Sig M400 in 2011, a Windham Weaponry MPC, and a Colt 6920 during the early 2010's. The Sig is the nicest of the 4, and the Windham is my favorite. I also bought a 20" Franken rifle, YHM upper on a S&W MP15 lower with a Daniel Defense BCG. It shoots good and I built it up into a pseudo DMR rifle. I learned how to take the factory guns apart, modify them to my particular wants or needs, and then started to build my own.
    Since then I have built out about a dozen or so rifles and pistols. I would rather do that than buy factory. I can control the parts and QC how I want and make adjustments as necessary to get them how I want them. I can't really do that with a factory gun without ripping them apart and putting more money into them than I would ever get back out if I ever decided to sell them.
    If you plan to only own one, buy a quality rifle from a reputable manufacturer. Learn it's ins and outs and shoot the snot out of it. I will warn you, AR's are addictive and they tend to multiply.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    I have bought 4 factory rifles, a post ban Bushmaster back in the 90's, then a Sig M400 in 2011, a Windham Weaponry MPC, and a Colt 6920 during the early 2010's. The Sig is the nicest of the 4, and the Windham is my favorite. I also bought a 20" Franken rifle, YHM upper on a S&W MP15 lower with a Daniel Defense BCG. It shoots good and I built it up into a pseudo DMR rifle. I learned how to take the factory guns apart, modify them to my particular wants or needs, and then started to build my own.
    Since then I have built out about a dozen or so rifles and pistols. I would rather do that than buy factory. I can control the parts and QC how I want and make adjustments as necessary to get them how I want them. I can't really do that with a factory gun without ripping them apart and putting more money into them than I would ever get back out if I ever decided to sell them.
    If you plan to only own one, buy a quality rifle from a reputable manufacturer. Learn it's ins and outs and shoot the snot out of it. I will warn you, AR's are addictive and they tend to multiply.
    OP, I second tCecil’s motion on buying factory if you only want one. The amount of money you’ll spend on the tools to do it right is only justifiable if you intend to build a few. A set of headspace gauges alone are $60-$70 and literally only serve one function.

I say get the tools and dive in head first! Start with a bargain build or two, get the hang of it, and then start experimenting until you find that perfect combination. Personally, my favorite setup in 5.56/.223 is a 16” pencil barrel and muzzle brake, a mid-length gas system, bleed-off gas block, 1.5” ext. diameter handguard, lightweight BCG, and standard buffer/spring. Light as a feather and the recoil is almost nonexistent. It makes my factory LE6940 feel like an overweight, over-gassed POS.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    And extra gas tube roll pins lol. I’m either incredibly unlucky, or the alignment on damn near every gas tube is off by just enough to ruin the roll pin it ships with.
    A little secret that makes it very easy. Worth every penny. It's for low profile gas blocks.

BigRed3588

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    Boynton Beach
    A little secret that makes it very easy. Worth every penny. It's for low profile gas blocks.
    Well…I hadn’t planned to assemble the 5.56 upper for my SBR host just yet but now I have to find out if this thing works…

Top Bottom