• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    A hand build can most assuredly be MUCH better than a factory "off the shelf" offering, but you may not be able to afford it.
    Quality is a relative term.
    It has a different meaning to different people.

Some believe Colt are "quality" factory offerings, while others will scoff at the notion.
    Depends on how much experience you have with guns, one of my buddies was building one and that stuff exploded in his hands, luckily he did not get a lot damage, but still

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Depends on how much experience you have with guns, one of my buddies was building one and that stuff exploded in his hands, luckily he did not get a lot damage, but still
    Well, just like a lot of "Bubba's" that work on cars and screw them all up, you need a modicum of knowledge before you tackle working on anything. There are far too many people out there getting their "knowledge" from YouTube which is way to see dozens of ways on how not to do something.

It amazes me that people actually take the time to video the travesties that I see.

analogwars

ANALOGWARS
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    somewhere in time
    A hand build can most assuredly be MUCH better than a factory "off the shelf" offering, but you may not be able to afford it.
    Quality is a relative term.
    It has a different meaning to different people.

Some believe Colt are "quality" factory offerings, while others will scoff at the notion.
    I have noticed that some uppers work better different lowers,

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    I doubt that I will as well.
    I didn't mean that it can't be as good or better, but if you're not experienced with building them (and I'm not), it's unlikely to be better than a reputable maker's small arm. Not that it should stop you from doing it, but something to consider. That said, I love my ADM ambi lower that I installed the trigger, safety, etc in.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    I didn't mean that it can't be as good or better, but if you're not experienced with building them (and I'm not), it's unlikely to be better than a reputable maker's small arm. Not that it should stop you from doing it, but something to consider. That said, I love my ADM ambi lower that I installed the trigger, safety, etc in.
    Arms is not rocket science, you do not need to create something, everything is already known. I'm not saying that I am a master in it, but from my experience, things you do by YOURSELF for YOURSELF are usually the best quality, it just takes time to learn

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Arms is not rocket science, you do not need to create something, everything is already known. I'm not saying that I am a master in it, but from my experience, things you do by YOURSELF for YOURSELF are usually the best quality, it just takes time to learn
    I don't disagree that it's not rocket science - but even if assembling a rocket, you need to know how to use a torque wrench. Granted, the broad range of barrel nut torques benefits the home builder. The probability of having issues with a first-built is substantially higher than buying from a reputable build. I'm not claiming that YOUR gun doesn't run, I'm saying if I have $50 to bet and had to choose between an Aero/BCM/Centurion vs. a home builder's 1st/2nd gun, I know where I'm putting my money.

TL;DR: I'm not talking about YOU, the guy on the internet who I don't know.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    It also depends on what you mean by 'build'. I have a factory assembled Sig 516 piston upper on a nice quality lower that sports a LaRue trigger and A2 stock. I don't consider that to be a build but it sure isn't factory either.

Either way, it will run with any factory built AR I own, including DD, Sig, S&W and Colt.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Nah, he bought really cheap parts for AR500 and put them together, I don't know how he managed to do that, but all he said is the bullet got stuck inside badly and he tried to eject it with the second shot, I mean I'm not surprised by this outcome
    Yeah that's going to blow up just about any AR. So he got a squib rd in a 5.56x45mm then decided it would be the best thing to fire another shot? That would be tremendous pressure. I'd imagine a lot of AR's would have problems with that. That is a tremendous amount of pressure.

akrylov

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Yeah that's going to blow up just about any AR. So he got a squib rd in a 5.56x45mm then decided it would be the best thing to fire another shot? That would be tremendous pressure. I'd imagine a lot of AR's would have problems with that. That is a tremendous amount of pressure.
    I think he lost hope in saving the barrel from internal damage and was expecting a bullet to come out, yeah he is not one of those smart guys, surprised it didn't kill him

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    Can building be as good as buying....yes. So long as you have the appropriate tools and knowledge.

But building normally has a significant negative impact on resale value.

But then again....no reason to buy if you are going to modify after purchase. then you are just wasting money.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Can building be as good as buying....yes. So long as you have the appropriate tools and knowledge.

But building normally has a significant negative impact on resale value.

But then again....no reason to buy if you are going to modify after purchase. then you are just wasting money.
    Exactly the thought I came to after buying my first AR-15. It became a Franken-15 after a few years.
    It started out as a Del-Ton and ended up something different. My SIL liked it so he ended up with it.
    After that experience I just decided to build my own because nothing came the way I wanted it unless you payed 1.5-2k plus.

Top Bottom