building a range in my backyard!! steel anyone?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bfaves

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2012
    i am currentaly working on building a range in my yard and looking for 1/2 steel plates or 1/2 steel by the square foot not sure where to go to find thease items if anyone has any info i would greatly appreciate it thanks!!!

luckee

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    NWI
    Not sure where you are located but in NW area AAA SUPPLY has decent prices. Or better yet go to your local scrap yard and rummage through their selection. You would most likely have to buy larger pieces and cut them yourself with a torch.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    i am currentaly working on building a range in my yard and looking for 1/2 steel plates or 1/2 steel by the square foot not sure where to go to find thease items if anyone has any info i would greatly appreciate it thanks!!!
    Not sure where you are located but in NW area AAA SUPPLY has decent prices. Or better yet go to your local scrap yard and rummage through their selection. You would most likely have to buy larger pieces and cut them yourself with a torch.

Just specify that you want the AR500 steel. Buy the wrong type of steel and you can have all sorts of problems with your range. Some bullets will slice right though 1/2" mild steel, some other steels will cause ricochetts back toward you. The steel you need for a SAFE target or target range is a special steel. Bobcat Steel is one of the sources for this steel. There are other sources, but don't just go buy mild steel and think you are safe, it could yield very tragic results.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    where do find local laws about making a gun range?

You'd have to check your specific COUNTY ordinances. My county does NOT have any regulations on how to make a range.

Virtually EVERY city and town outlaws shooting within their corporate limits. So if you live within a city or town then you are probably not going to be able to shoot. If you live out in the county, outside of any limits, then you would fall under your county regulations.

Most counties are more concerned about the NOISE from shooting than they are about the actual shooting. But it is CRITICAL to check your local county codes.

As far as range construction, you can check with the National Rifle Association and they have recommendations on how to build a safe range (or at least they used to).

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just specify that you want the AR500 steel. Buy the wrong type of steel and you can have all sorts of problems with your range. Some bullets will slice right though 1/2" mild steel, some other steels will cause ricochetts back toward you. The steel you need for a SAFE target or target range is a special steel. Bobcat Steel is one of the sources for this steel. There are other sources, but don't just go buy mild steel and think you are safe, it could yield very tragic results.

ALL steels can cause ricochet right back at you, it entirely depends on the angle the bullet strikes, how pitted the steel is, and whether the steel can swing free or not. Steel either needs to be set at an angle 30 degrees or better, or be light enough that it can swing freely.

Beyond that there is nothing magical about AR500, used improperly it can be just as dangerous. It's much harder than mild steel and capable of resisting rifle fire to a degree and will last a lot longer, but for pistol rounds mild steel used under the conditions outlined above can work just fine.

And yes, I own a substantial amount of Bobcat's products :)

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Yes, if set at the wrong angle you can get a bullet tossed back at your head. But many mild steels will simply be punctured and the bullet will cut a hole right through it. I probably should have been more clear with my advice.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Most counties are more concerned about the NOISE from shooting than they are about the actual shooting. But it is CRITICAL to check your local county codes.

Be aware that neighbors may file a nuisance suit if they find your new installation excessively annoying or hazardous, even if there is no particular ordinance against it. Probably not a bad idea to touch base with them, just to see.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Be aware that neighbors may file a nuisance suit if they find your new installation excessively annoying or hazardous, even if there is no particular ordinance against it. Probably not a bad idea to touch base with them, just to see.
    This totally depends on your county ordinances. My county allows shooting on 1+ acre of land between 8am and 10pm. When the county allows it it is very difficult for a neighbor to claim its an issue.

Hajisc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   1
    Oct 11, 2012
    Westville,In.
    The NRA has a very in-depth book on building a gun range. It's mostly high end stuff but you will learn s lot from it. It's on their website.

Top Bottom